Pages

Tuesday 26 October 2021

4Fingers Crispy Chicken @ Pandan Jaya

I've always thought this fried chicken chain originated from Korea (obviously because of its similarity to Korean-style fried chicken) but it wasn't so.  When I checked their story recently, I realised that they're Korean-inspired but Singapore-made (with its first store in ION Orchard and has since spread its wings to Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand & Australia).

I've also finally got my curiosity answered as to why they're called 4Fingers...it seems it's a nod to how one would need 4 fingers to eat a chicken wing!  Well, I'm not so sure about the 4 fingers analogy though...coz some would say they need just 2 fingers...lol! :D

So, what is it about 4Fingers Fried Chicken that make their chicken so special?  Well, it's the combination of a super crunchy batter (even after it's been doused in sauce) with its perfect balance of sweet and salty (or spicy) flavours that works so well together.

For me, my favourite order is the Wings Rice Box Combo @ RM22.90 which has all 3 things I want to eat....their signature wings (2 drumettes & 1 wingette in mixed flavours of soy garlic and hot & spicy to enjoy the best of both worlds flavours), rice (laced with teriyaki sauce) and kimchi (the one and only kimchi I eat!).

Sometimes, if I'm a little greedy and want more chicken, I'll get the 6 Pcs Wingettes & Drumettes @ RM18.90 with a request for a combination of mixed flavours.  Just like I've always thought that 4Fingers was Korean fried chicken, I also thought that their soy sauce was some kind of Japanese soy until I learnt recently that their signature soy sauce is made (naturally fermented) in Penang, Malaysia.  Their soy garlic is so good...they should bottle it and sell! ^o^

If the 6 pcs of chicken isn't quite enough, you can always add-on an order of Japanese Rice (Teriyaki Sauce) @ RM4 for a fuller meal.  Doused in always-not-nearly-enough teriyaki sauce with a sprinkling of umami seaweed, the rice can be a bit soft and clumpy sometimes.  They can be quite kedekut (stingy) with their teriyaki sauce, I have to say, so much so that I've to scrape the box of every last bit of sauce with my rice grains.

My other usual order would be the Tofu Rice Box Combo @ RM20.90 that comes with two large pieces of flavoured crispy tofu (option for soy or spicy, I went with soy this time), teriyaki-flavoured rice and kimchi.  I have to say I prefer the spicy flavour just a smidget more than the soy-glazed ones as it the brings out the flavours of the bland tofu better (in my opinion).

The only difference between a rice box and a rice box combo (the difference being a drink) is that if you order any rice box combos, you can always add-on more chicken like Wingettes & Drumettes (1 pc each) @ RM6 or Drumstick (1 pc) @ RM5.  Although I love the soy-coated chicken just that little bit more, I also enjoy eating the spicy version, so I always ask for mixed flavours.  It seems that each piece of chicken is hand-brushed with their signature sauces upon order.  No wonder their chicken is able to stay so crunchy with the sauces clinging on so well for an in-depth flavour. ^.^

My son's order is always the same, he wants the Boneless Chicken Bites Rice Box Combo @ RM21.90 with teriyaki rice and kimchi coz he doesn't like to deal with bones in his chicken (and his default flavour is always soy garlic).

At times, you can count yourself lucky when you get rice that's sufficiently doused in teriyaki sauce coz it's always never enough.  I just wish there's a SOP in place (like a fixed measuring spoon or cup) to standardise the amount of sauce given out without leaving it in the 'hands' of the crew.

For sides, it's always the Loaded Fries with Seaweed Sprinkles @ RM8.90 (not for me, of course).  This is made up of fries with mini chicks (bits of chicken?), nacho cheese, crispy crumbs (of batter) and seaweed sprinkles.

A must-order for sharing is the Tofu Nuggets (12 pcs) @ RM6.50 either as a side order or an add-on order. Actually, it makes no difference (I soon realised) since the price is the same whether you order it as a side or add-on order.  You can have these tofu cubes in either soy garlic, hot or teriyaki sauce.

Ever since the first time we had the tofu nuggets, we've been hooked on it.  These perfectly fried tofu cubes are so crispy on the outside, with sweet and salty flavours coming from the soy glaze, and downright addictive.  I'd have to say I like these crispy cubes of tofu even more than those in the tofu rice box...and that's because these taste better as they've been cut into smaller cubes (before frying) thereby allowing for more crispy sides to be enjoyed.

My Personal Opinion

Who knew this Korean-style chicken is not from Korea but actually a homegrown Singapore brand.  We've been stuck on this ever since we first tried it.....and it's now our top choice/preferred fried chicken chain whenever we feel like having fried chicken.

Now that a new outlet (in Pandan Jaya) has opened near us that's even more convenient for us to get to than Sunway Velocity, I foresee there'll be more finger licking to come in future (and that may involve licking more than just four fingers)! ^_~

4Fingers Crispy Chicken
No 22G Jalan 2/1
Pandan Jaya
55100 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: 03-9201 6484

8 comments:

  1. Singapore made but Korean prices hah..hah... It's my favorite too and only after reading your post did I know this fried chicken is not Korean. The tofu nuggets is my must-order and same goes for the kimslaw. I am again very tempted to make an order after putting it off for some time. I do agree that they should be more generous with the sauces, after all, we are paying a premium price for the food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More like Korean-inspired but Singapore-prices...lol! :D Yeah, if not for the prices (after all, it's just a fried chicken meal), I'll probably be having this more often too. ^_~

      Delete
  2. I wonder why a simple meatless rice combo with 2pcs of tofu can be priced more that 20bucks? >_<
    I have yet tried 4fingers but if my Korean fried chicken craving attack, I always order Choo Choo Chicken which has an outlet near my area. Their spicy flavour is super spicy yet addictive, a must order for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since the price of the tofu rice box is on the high side, it makes sense that the chicken rice combo is of more value...and you can then add on tofu nuggets for only RM6.50! ;) I just looked up Choo Choo Chicken...and wished they had a flavour of soy + garlic together instead of separately. :(

      Delete
  3. Ahha yes, love their soy garlic too. But I've never tried their tofu before. Maybe I'll give them a try these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, please do...since the add-on costs only a mere RM6.50....hee..hee! ^_~

      Delete
  4. And I thought the original chef got only 4 fingers...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...