Pages

Thursday 21 October 2021

#ewew cooks the Easiest Meat Sauce Ever!

I believe many of us have made a tomato-based meat sauce at one time or another....usually with help from our favourite brand of bottled tomato/pasta sauce.  Of course, there are those who don't believe in bottled sauces and would painstakingly make it from scratch with fresh tomatoes (refer to a Malaysianised recipe here if you're interested)...and that's fine too....whatever rocks your boat!   Well, I suppose there's nothing better than one that's freshly made, right?

But for the rest of us who are too lazy busy or don't have the luxury of time to cook it from scratch, we go for the cheat version.  We rely on bottled tomato paste and sauces...or, at least, I have.  So, who's up for the easiest meat sauce ever (which I discovered only recently)?  Not to mention it's also darn delicious! ;)

For that, you'll need a little help from Jamie Oliver!  I was browsing through Atlas Gourmet Market @ Shoppes at Four Seasons Place when I spotted it (this was way before the pandemic).  But that was so long ago (sometime in late 2018, yikes!) that Atlas Gourmet Market has now been converted into more of a bistro, pizzeria and deli than a high end grocery store (though you can still find some "atas punya" produce on sale like meats, seafood, cheese and wine).

I've always derived enjoyment browsing and walking through the aisles of high(er) end grocery stores coz they pay careful attention to shelf/produce arrangement where everything is so nicely presented...like these fresh vegetables that's so eye-catchingly colourful.  Even their organic vegetables, herbs and microgreens have their own (cold) indoor garden! ;)

I meant to cook this sooner but it was conveniently forgotten in the back of my pantry cupboard.....until recently! :O  When I took it out, I realised it was past its expiry date.  Adoi, sayang-lah if I have to throw Jamie Oliver's product away! >_<  Then I remembered a blogger-friend who was always dicing with danger by cooking and consuming expired goods.  She says some foodstuff are still good to go even after expiry.  Taking that into consideration, I googled and read somewhere that tomato-based pasta sauces can stay fresh 3 - 5 months past its expiry (because of the acidity) if the bottle is unopened (some even say it's good for 1 - 2 years but I won't go so far-lah).

So, I'm going to run with that and be brave....and use it so as not to let it go to waste.  After all, it smelled and appeared alright with no visible mold, change of colour or bulging on the cap + since it was an imported product, I was a bit more confident of its manufacturing process and packaging.

This will be the fastest pasta meat sauce you'll ever make, so don't blink or you might just miss it....hah...hah!  Start by sweating chopped onions and sauteeing minced meat of your choice (I used pork but you can use beef or chicken too) in some olive oil.  Here I'm keeping it really simple but you can always add on chopped garlic, tomatoes, celery and even bell peppers if you like.

When I got Jamie Oliver's Tomato & Chilli Pasta Sauce (I can't recall the price now but I remembered it wasn't very expensive), I also bought his (or endorsed by him) olive oil to try (this was much more expensive than the pasta sauce, I remembered).

I did like the taste of this one and since it's much pricier than the usual brands I buy, I try to reserve it for use as dressing for my salads (with the occasional use for cooking only). ^_*

Jamie Oliver's
line of vinaigrettes also include balsamic, red and white wine vinegars.  I once had a bottle each of such vinegars but ended up discarding them (when they expired) coz I don't really use vinegars all that much in my cooking.

Coming back to Jamie's Tomato & Chilli Pasta Sauce, here comes the super easy part....just empty the entire (400g) jar of sauce into your sauteed pork mince and onions (or with additional vegetables mentioned earlier).  This is a lot less work (which suits me fine) compared to the time and patience needed to simmer a pasta sauce for 1 1/2 hours if made from scratch! O_o

As with all pasta sauces, one usually adds fresh parsley (though most of us will probably use dried parsley coz that's readily available in our pantry) but I like to add a Chinese dimension to it by adding Chinese parsley (or coriander) instead as I find it more fragrant.  Put in both stalks and leaves...but I only had stalks leftover in my fridge (actually, this is a good way of using up the stalks that we're often left with after using mostly the leaves as garnish, over steamed fish and in soups).

Cook it for a few minutes more and the sauce is ready (you can add some water if the consistency is too thick for your liking).  You may wish to add some additional seasoning also (like salt & lots of black pepper) to tweak the taste just right for you.  One jar of Jamie's sauce is good for 3 servings of pasta (for me).

If that's not the easiest meat sauce you'll ever make, I don't know what can be easier or faster than that! ^.^  P/S: One day I hope to (have the will to) make it from scratch (perhaps when I'm inspired to cook it for a party and want to impress my guests that the pasta sauce is homemade...kekeke) but the allure of its simplicity coming out from a jar isn't something I'm ready to give up for now! :D

For my pasta of choice, I used spaghetti vermicelli which is slightly thinner than regular spaghetti but thicker than angel hair pasta (but in Italy, it seems it's the other way round).

I've always 'trusted' Jamie Oliver, after all, he was the very first person who taught me how to bake/roast chicken and potatoes in the oven successfully (a method which I've continued to use till today).  I'll tell you why this is the best tasting bottled pasta sauce I've come across thus far....it isn't as acidic as some of the ones I've had before. 

Not only that but, more importantly, this one has this subtle chilli warmth to it making this lovely tomato-based meat sauce that much nicer to eat (much like a chilli con carne).  It's not spicy at all but that little hint of chilli makes all the difference to the taste. ^o^

Since no-one is a fan of tomato-based pasta sauces in my household, I have two extra portions that I can freeze to be enjoyed later.  Heheh, I've consumed expired goods and lived to tell the tale! *_*

If I can get a good quality ready-made jar of pasta sauce that's equally tasty, who says I can't make my life simpler with a little help from my "friend".....lol!  Good bottled pasta sauces that can be whipped up in an instant is a saviour to anyone tasked with putting food on the table and a staple that's beneficial to have in your pantry.  Well, if I'm out grocery shopping and happen to spot Jamie's Tomato & Chilli Pasta Sauce again, I'd be sure to restock my pantry with it. ^_~

8 comments:

  1. Oh! Jamie Oliver, patutlah sedap! hahahaha!! I have not come across Jamie Oliver's products, only Paul Newman's hah..hah..at Jaya Grocer. Jamie's is available at the more atas supermarkets lah which I don't have chance to visit or else I will pick up a bottle (or a few) to try. I too have problem of buying stuff and then forgetting about it until it expires. Well, bravo on your bravery to consume the expired sauce! Oh, and thanks for the shout out hee..hee..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can KIV to see if can spot it in other grocers coz I'd like to restock my pantry with it too. Who's Paul Newman? I only know Paul Newman, the actor...hehehe! ;)

      Delete
  2. wah fehmes sauce! I actually went to Jamie Oliver's restaurant in London before many moons ago. It was.. good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But too bad so many of his restaurants have closed down already. :'(

      Delete
  3. This is also one of the items that I always keep in my pantry as it is so convenient and handy when I need to prepare a quick pasta for dinner (to pair with chicken chop/grilled chicken for a more wholesome meal).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, grilled chicken with pasta is a delicious combo :)

      Delete
  4. Thank goodness it isn't chili jam. Otherwise Uncle Roger will come and haunt you... Well maybe that in itself is a good thing for publicity though LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Uncle Roger has more things to worry about now (like his collaboration with Auntie Liz) than Jamie's use of chili jam in his fried rice! :D

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...