Pages

Thursday 7 October 2021

Sally's Kitchen Homecooked Food Delivery (for September)

The week of September saw Sally's Kitchen Homecooked Food Delivery churn out mostly repeated dishes but there were a few new ones too.

Week 1 started with a cracker dish of Chicken Kaarage & Wakame (Kelp) Fried Rice @ RM13.50 with sides of sliced omelette and edamame.  This was a well presented dish with all its sides nicely placed and its fried rice looking very inviting with all those dark green, almost black, bits in it.

The chicken kaarage was well seasoned and nicely fried (not overly fried like some can be).  The 4 large chunks of chicken, finished with a light drizzle of Japanese mayo on top, were tender to the bite.  The inclusion of a squeeze of lime gave the fried chicken a welcomed lift.

The fried rice also came with some small cubes of fried tofu, fresh shiitake mushrooms and egg bits in it. Perhaps the rice could be seasoned a little bit more (as some would have preferred a bolder flavour) though I was fine with it.  Overall it was another tasty dish! ;)

The other option for the week was the Tao Yew Bak with sides of Joo Hoo Char, Braised Egg & Sambal Belacan @ RM12.  Well, I've already had a taste of the joo hoo char and braised egg in their previous Nyonya Lobak Set and Taiwanese Braised Pork Rice before.

The tao yew bak (braised pork belly in soy sauce) was tasty with a generous helping of 4 - 5 good-sized chunks of wobbly meat (even my husband felt it was a sizeable amount though he would have liked it cooked a bit more tender).

Even though I made a request for my portion of tao yew bak pieces to be leaner, it still contained some fatty parts which I (of course) discarded into my husband's box.  I did enjoy my leaner parts and the sauce had good flavours.

This week's Friday Special was yet another noodle dish of Pad Woon Sen (Stir-Fried Glass Noodles) with Pandan ChickenFried Egg & Dipping Sauce @ RM12.

I think they need a little bit more practice with the wrapping of the pandan chicken as the pandan leaves came loose.  Some of the nuggets of chicken were pale while some achieved the well-fried look.  Taste wise, it also needed a bit more work.

I did enjoy the stir-fried glass noodles that were nicely done with some crunchy, julienned cabbage and carrot.  The standout for me was the inclusion of the dipping sauce with red bird's eye chillies to give it that spicy kick but balanced out with the salty and sweet flavours of the soy dipping sauce (there might even be some lime juice in there).  It was refreshing eaten with the glass noodles (I finished the entire tub).

The following week offered Fried Pork Nasi Lemak @ RM12 with sides of Potato Curry and condiments of hard-boiled egg, fried anchovies, peanuts, cucumber & sambal.

The decent tasting fried pork slices were simply seasoned with probably salt and pepper though I did notice some red specks (either ground chilli pepper or paprika).  There was also this light dusting of batter on the pork slices which gave it that slight crispy coating.

Of course they always nail their curries and this potato curry was no different.  I'm all for any curries that have potatoes in them...and welcomes its inclusion to give the nasi lemak more sauce (the curry turned out to be more spicy than the sambal).  The cooked sambal (on the sweetish side) has certainly improved from previous times with more depth of flavour.

Their other two new menu items included Ayam Pongteh with Bok Choy (RM11) and Smoked Duck Aglio Olio (RM13.50) which I thought I'll give it a miss since 1) I'm not really a fan of ayam pongteh and 2) I'm always afraid of duck that's not rendered properly (I've had quite a few experiences with that + more often than not, the skin is usually not crispy).

If Week 2 saw the feature of all 3 new dishes, Week 3 showcased the repeat of all 3 dishes I've had before starting with the Hainanese Pork Chop Rice @ RM12.  It was called Chinese Pork Chop Rice previously...and it could still do with a bit more tenderising.

The Chicken Teriyaki Rice Set @ RM13 this time was slightly different from the previous Chicken Teriyaki Set in that it was served with a mixed salad of fresh lettuce, carrot shreds, sweet corn & cherry tomatoes accompanied by a roasted sesame dressing (instead of blanched bok choy & carrot strips previously).  It was served with the same panko-crusted fish balls and thick-rolled omelette (this time looking even more like tamagoyaki...hehe!).

I could see that the chicken teriyaki this time achieved a much deeper caramelisation and the teriyaki sauce also tasted better.  Good that there was some improvement but it still needs work.

The final repeated dish for the week was the  Fried Meehoon with Curry Vegetables @ RM12 served with a side of delicious vegetable curry (with softened vegetables of potatoes, cabbage, long beans, carrots, brinjal, ladies fingers & beancurd puffs) and crispy fried wontons (which arrived fully crispy).

The Dried Shrimps Fried Meehoon wasn't as good as I remembered (I found it fried with some dried mushrooms this time + I could hardly taste the dried shrimps).  The portion size is so generous you can easily make this into a two-meal affair...you just need to boil some rice to eat with the vegetable curry.

The final week of September saw the return of their Braised Mui Choy Pork @ RM11 with sides of braised tofu & fried egg (with a request for leaner pork).  Still as delicious.

The other option for the week was Butter Milk Chicken @ RM12 with sides of mushroom omelette & stir-fried french beans.  This was a repeated dish, just that I didn't order it the first time round.

The boneless chicken pieces had a nice crisp and they were fried with fragrant curry leaves and some red cili api in a butter milk sauce.  I had a little taste and it tasted exactly like what its name implied...milky and buttery (my son said it tasted like carbonara...maybe there might even be some cheese in there).  And that's why I don't order this for me! >_<

Friday's Special was Spaghetti Bolognese which I obviously wouldn't be attracted to order since I make that at home all the time.

Sally's Kitchen
 continues to be a saviour when my home kitchen is closed.....and I've no doubt that their kitchen will continue to thrive going forward.

7 comments:

  1. Ah! Sally's Kitchen is still going strong and I found out recently that they do deliver to Bandar Utama yay! I was very tempted to order this week's menu of dry pork curry but somehow I did not. I will look out for the weekly menu and if something catches my eye (especially the ones you have tried and given thumbs up) I would love to place an order!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you say "you found out recently", I'm assuming you contacted them. You must have missed out on my comment when I did mention that Sally's Kitchen do deliver to other areas (with a delivery fee, of course, of between RM6 - RM10). Well, I hope you get to try some of their menu which catches your eye. I won't label their food is excitingly fantastic but I look upon them as a better/elevated alternative to chap fan in terms of price (really good prices at RM11 - RM13), convenience (delivered right to your doorstep), cleanliness (cooking & packaging) and taste (most of the time). P/S: I think they have dishes even your partner will enjoy (since he's a 'rice' man) lol! ^_~

      Delete
  2. Fried pork slices, I like this!
    Their dishes all looked yummy, lucky you to have neighbourhood food delivery like this, so affordable somemore.
    I wonder if you keep those containers? Or are they recycling them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually reuse the containers once or twice before washing and discarding them separately for recycling. Too many to keep. >.< The fried pork nasi lemak turned out to be my favourite menu item of the month.

      Delete
  3. I have to lay off from all my favourite spicy food. So this Tau Yew Bak and Ju Hu Char are jotted down in my mental note now. Suddenly I feel like a prisoner for having to watch my food intake. Lolol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we have to watch our food intake, it (usually & sadly) means that age is catching up with us...lol. Never mind, soon you can indulge in your favourite spicy food when you feel better.

      Delete
  4. tau eu bak for me pls, can't ever say no to that.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...