Pages

Tuesday 19 January 2021

4Fingers Crispy Chicken @ Sunway Velocity

I first noticed 4Fingers Crispy Chicken when we were out shopping at Sunway Velocity way before the pandemic struck.  I didn't give it another thought then as I reckoned that it was just another local fast food chicken chain.  I wasn't aware at that time that it was KFC....and by that I don't mean the Kentucky kind but the Korean kind! :P

So, when we were browsing for what to eat on GrabFood as it was one of those food delivery days again, we decided on 4Fingers now that I know it's Korean fried chicken (after all, I do like KFC).  With over 15 outlets in Klang Valley, our delivery came from the branch nearest me which was Sunway Velocity.

For my first taste of 4Fingers Chicken, I went with the 1 Drumstick & 3 Wings Combo @ RM24.90 comprising of 1 drumstick, 2 wingettes & 1 drumette with a choice of one free side and a drink.

4Fingers Chicken
comes in two flavours, soy garlic and hot (aka spicy) and the good thing is you can ask for mixed flavours which allows you to taste/eat both flavours in one sitting.

I chose soy garlic for the drumstick and mixed flavours for the wings, so I actually ended up with two pieces of soy garlic and two pieces spicy flavour.  The soy garlic is fragrant, savoury, lightly garlicky and sweet while the hot flavour is rather spicy.

You get a choice of one side and the options include kimchi, seaweed or plain fries, plain or teriyaki sauced Japanese rice.  I chose plain fries which came with a sprinkling of some sort of chilli powder.  The skinny fries weren't among the best tasting fries around + they were kinda limp as well when they reached me.  Drink choices include soft drinks, iced lemon tea or bottled water.

The Tofu Rice Box Combo @ RM20.90 was a combo with 2 pieces of crispy tofu served with pretty much the exact same thing as the above combo with teriyaki sauce drizzled Japanese rice, shredded seaweed, kimslaw and drink.

For the tofu, you can only have it with one choice of sauce, either soy garlic or hot.  Selecting the hot flavour was a good choice as the bland tofu needed the spiciness to give it more flavour and amp up its taste.  The inside of the tofu was soft with a nice crisp on the outer layer.  I don't mind this at all, especially on days when I feel like having a lighter no meat meal.

The kimslaw was a total surprise as the combination of kimchi and coleslaw turned out to be nothing like the usual pungent kimchi flavour that I dislike.  This one tasted more like a lightly spicy mayo coleslaw than kimchi (ah, a kimchi I can finally eat...kekeke!).

With the plain (and skinny) fries not making an impression and seeing that I enjoyed the kimslaw, I made sure I got that with the Wings Rice Box Combo @ RM21.90 when we decided to order 4Fingers again.

The rice box contains their signature wings (2 drumettes & 1 wingette) in soy garlic served with Japanese rice drizzled with teriyaki sauce, shredded seaweed and kimslaw.  My only complaint is that the rice is a little mushy and they could be a bit more generous with the teriyaki sauce.  The combo also comes with a free drink.

If you need more chicken, there's always the option to add on more in a flavour of your choice (this one was hot).   Between the two flavours, I prefer soy garlic a tad more just because of the fragrance of the soy and the sweet/savoury infusion + having something too spicy takes away from the flavour of the chicken.

If you order one Wings Rice Box and a Tofu Rice Box, you can share the chicken wings and tofu for more variety in your box.  The portions (I think) are good enough for medium-sized stomachs or ladies (in general). One rice box is nicely adequate for me without any sides.

These were combo add-ons (I can't remember the prices) of boneless chicken bites (for days when you don't feel like messing with bones, I guess) in soy garlic......

......and hot & spicy flavour.

These boneless chicken bites even come with fries and a drizzle of cheese sauce (not for me obviously) together with some crispy bits of batter.  There's also a choice of seafood (calamari & shrimp) if you're not into chicken.

My Personal Opinion

This was just a simple fried chicken restaurant chain where I went in without much expectation but came out pleasantly surprised that I would enjoy the meal as much.  Perhaps it's because I do like Korean fried chicken to begin with more than any other fried chicken chain.

I think it was the combo of chicken (or tofu) in both flavours with teriyaki rice and kimslaw that worked in its favour which is a common and complete meal of protein, rice and vegetables.

Recently when we found ourselves in Sunway Velocity (pre-MCO obviously), we actually went in to tapau their food before heading home....that's how much we liked it.  I'm foreseeing that there'll be more 4Fingers deliveries in the future! ^_~

4Fingers Crispy Chicken
1-23 1st Floor Sunway Velocity Mall
Lingkaran Sunway Velocity
Jalan Cheras
55100 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: 03-9286 6862

8 comments:

  1. I wonder why you would order a tofu dish in a Korean Fried Chicken shop?
    Another weird choice from you after that NS with steak, LOL
    I know 4fingers is famous and there was always queue whenever I passed by the MidValley outlet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was curious about the tofu...and it turned out pretty well surprisingly :)

      Delete
  2. You have really tempted me to try this 4Fingers Crispy Chicken and the Kimslaw. The way you wrote in your usual meticulous & detailed manner really made me salivate. Hahaha This is something I am lousy at writing about food.

    I have a Kakaotalk Chat Group with my Korean friends whom I met in US. I told them how I loved Kyochon esp the spicy ones. One fella told me that Kyochon is horrible and not popular in Korea which surprised me. Then my wife's ex student who became a pastry Chef in Korea told me that any fried chickens sold across Korea is way better than Kyochon in Malaysia. I still found it hard to believe from 2 fellas. Finally, when I landed in Seoul, I had to eat fried chicken everyday from different places. OMG!!! What they said is true. All their fried chicken is the best in the world as claimed. Finally my other Korean friend explained that their chickens are all specially fed with different diet and their deep marinating plus selected cooking oil made the difference.

    Now the boss of AMAH chain is also selling fresh chickens which have been fed with long beans. Each time he announced in FB, over 200 birds would be snapped up by noon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked Kyochon too when they first arrived at our shores. They claimed to be the best fried chicken in South Korea, so perhaps their standard dropped off over the years. Maybe we can relate to their fried chicken story like something similar to our nasi lemak where most people will vouch that roadside nasi lemak stalls are better than some of those we find at restaurants. ^_~

      Delete
  3. I have been eyeing 4Fingers menu on Grabfood and I was tempted. But I have not ordered yet. Now that I see you enjoy it and since we have very similar tastebuds (except for kimchi hah..hah...) I know I will like their chicken. As for the kimslaw, I'm really curious about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully you'll enjoy this KFC when you do decide to order it. As for the kimslaw, just don't have expectations of a proper kimchi as it tastes nothing like that. ;P

      Delete
  4. Flavors memang best but I felt the prices is abit high.. if u compared with other fried chicken options out there, kan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do agree that prices are slightly pricey compared to other local fried chicken chains but this is Korean fried chicken and as long as the flavours are good, I don't mind the prices really.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...