Pages

Thursday 1 October 2015

#ewew cooks the simplest ever Salmon Dish

This dish I'm about to share is one of the simplest meals to prepare.  It's so simple I wasn't even thinking of posting it on my blog....but I did, simply, for two reasons.  The first is for a dear friend who's a novice cook but wishes to cook this simple dish...for someone? ;-)
 
She did check my blog as I've already posted a similar dish (sometime last year), but she told me she didn't like that one (maybe the pictures didn't attract her or maybe she wanted something even simpler) and preferred those I showed her on my phone recently.  So, I'm posting this one as a special request! ;D  As for the second reason, I'll tell you about that one later.
 
I've whipped up this dish so many times as it's one of my favourite things to eat and the cooking of it is so super easy that anyone can do it with great success.
 
The ingredients.....just three.....1) salmon, 2) potatoes and 3) mushrooms.
 
The cooking....also as easy as 1-2-3....
 
Step 1 - Peel and chop up your potatoes roughly.  Put it in a pan of boiling water and simmer (on medium heat) for 10 minutes (the timing depends on the type of potatoes you're using).  Just check for softness by jabbing a fork through the potato.  If it goes in without any resistance, the potatoes are soft enough.
 
Drain the water and shake the pan vigorously (or use a fork) to rough up the edges of the potatoes.  These roughed up edges will crisp up when the potatoes hit the oil, so the more roughed up, the more crispy bits!  Season with salt and black pepper.
 
Pan-fry the potatoes in olive oil until they're nice and brown (note that they're already cooked and soft) and this step is just to create a crispy crust.
 
Step 2 - Cut your mushrooms into halves or quarters (I prefer Swiss brown to button mushrooms) and sauté in olive oil on high heat.  Season with salt and black pepper.  Don't cook it for too long or water will start seeping out from the mushrooms (which can also happen if you wash your mushrooms...just clean with a damn cloth).  If your mushrooms do get watery, it's not the end of the world, treat it as your sauce then.
 
If you have some ready made fried garlic (like I did), you can add some for more fragrance, otherwise don't bother.
 
Step 3 - Season your salmon fillets with salt and black pepper.  I like it with lots of black pepper and don't use those finely grounded ones, use those freshly cracked from whole peppercorns.  I used to use those fine ones until I realised that freshly cracked ones are a lot more fragrant.
 
Pan-fry your salmon, skin side down first to get a crispy skin.  You can turn your salmon pieces on all four sides to get a nice colour on them. 
 
I can't tell you how long you need to fry them for as it depends on the size of your salmon but it won't be a big boo-boo if your salmon is slightly overcooked (still edible but less moist) or undercooked (with a pink centre but nice to eat), just the way I like it! ;)
 
All done, it's that simple.....now you can plate up!
 
Crispy Skin Salmon
 
Nicely Sautéed Mushrooms
 
Fragrant Rustic Potatoes
 
Simplest Pan-Fried Salmon with Mushrooms and Potatoes...looks rather impressive, don't you think?  Think again! :D
 
Now that leads me to Reason No. 2 on why I've decided to put this on my blog.  Everything looked dandy and nice, right?  Wrong! :'(  I bought these salmon fillets from Aeon at a promotional price of RM10 a piece.  I know I can't expect them to be super fresh at this price but I didn't expect them to be so NOT fresh either!!  So, if you see cheap salmon being offered at Aeon, turn the other way.  In fact, I've bought salmon that was not on offer from Aeon and they still turned out to be not as fresh either.  So, my second reason for this post is to warn you...DON'T BUY salmon from Aeon....just go get yourself a nice one from any other supermarket (like Jaya Grocer).
 
I could have discarded it at first bite but it would be such a waste...and I was brought up to not waste food (plus we didn't have a plan B).  Our toilet became our best friend for the next couple of hours! T_T  Ok, ok, now wipe this last disgusting thing I said from your mind....and pretend that this was a piece of really fresh salmon...cooked just right with a nice crispy skin and a side of fragrant potatoes and delicious mushrooms.....got that mental picture in your head?  Ok, good! ;D

P/S:  Note to dear friend......hope this dish turns out well for you...happy cooking!


12 comments:

  1. Simplest? Simplest?? Your title is so misleading, you are as bad as Jamie or Laura Vitale! Your step 1 2 3 is more like step 1a, 1b, 1c, 1d, step 2a, 2b, 2c, 2d, step 3a, 3b, 3c, 3d... >.<

    I think, the simplest salmon dish would be the ones where we don't cook the salmon. Fresh sashimi!

    And ah... the last part... How to wipe? You say the word wipe after you say toilet, I can only think of wiping one part of the body.... >.<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You caught on....I purposely said "wipe"....haha! And if you ate this as sashimi, you might as well sleep in the toilet for the night! :D

      The definition of "simplest" to a "lazy man" is not the same for the rest of the world ;D Only a "lazy man" would read step 1 as 1a, 1b and 1c. And hey, when you made mashed potatoes, you also had to do 1a (peel), 1b (boil) and 1c (mash) lah! Who the heck is Laura Vitale?

      Delete
  2. Just the way my girl would love it!!! She loves salmon and buttons & potatoes too! I wish we could get those fresh buttons here, she is not fond of the canned ones - may see some once in a blue moon but all about to spoil or already spoilt...and way over RM10 a plastic tub, only a few inside - not packed to the brim, what a waste of money! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you can't get fresh mushrooms over there? Here, we have fresh Swiss brown, button, shiitake, Portobello, shimeji, all sorts of fresh mushrooms. The Swiss brown mushrooms I used for this meal is from one tub which costs RM8.90.

      Delete
  3. Geez...too bad that the salmon was not fresh. I have bought Salmon from Aeon before (at 1-U) and so far they were fresh. But I seldom buy due to the price. Maybe I was lucky. Anyway, I like what you did with the salmon, mushrooms and potatoes. I've not fried salmon simply because I am not good at frying fish hah..hah... But I will try that one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We always think we're not good at frying fish because it gets stuck to the pan. Use a non-stick pan and you'll have beautifully fried fish all the time (though this method can only be used for certain types of fish...those you pan-fry and not deep fry, those fillets and not whole fish! ;) Since you don't want to eat so much carbs, fish and vegetables is a pretty good and healthy dish to make.

      Delete
  4. heh, for non-cooks like us, this guide is really useful - there are a lot of steps i wouldn't have known to take! the fish looks very much edible - but i guess we were deceived by the looks! fun fact: when i was much younger, i used to buy salmon on the bone like this at the jusco in 1 utama, and i wouldn't cook them but just ate them sashimi-style off the bone ... looking back, i'm grateful i was never poisoned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These salmon from Jusco definitely cannot be eaten sashimi style. I don't trust the freshness and I certainly won't attempt to eat it that way. I think you've dodged a bullet! ;D

      Delete
  5. Looks really delicious wor. Really lausai after that ah?

    I have bought salmon from aeon many times and they taste ok to me. I think it depends on which aeon - must buy from those with many customers where the goods are moved quickly. I only buy from aeon at Midvalley. Once I bought a pack of almost expired salmon at 50% off. It was not fresh as expected due to nearing the best eat by date so was very shang but I still finished eating it and was ok, no lausai. Hahaha, my comment for this post is so crude. Sorry ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it's a fresh piece of salmon, definitely it'll be delicious.

      Yeah, maybe it's the Aeon outlet but I won't be buying anymore salmon from any Aeon, that's for sure. Better stick to a more trusted supermarket where I've always gotten fresh salmon.

      Delete
  6. This looks scrumptious. Potatoes and mushrooms on the side - yum! The only thing I'd add is some greens - I do love my veggies. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you can certainly add on a salad and I do that all the time too. But, for this meal, I was trying to keep to the definition of "simplest ever" :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...