Pages

Friday 6 August 2021

Sally's Kitchen Homecooked Food Delivery (for July)

After closing for the first two weeks of MCO 3.0 and about a week during the EMCO, I was thankful that Sally's Kitchen Homecooked Food Delivery has resumed operations once again.  That's good news for those of us who orders from her weekly since they're located in our same neighbourhood.  Good food with no delivery charges is hard to come by these days with food delivery platforms now in such high demand that delivery fees are at its highest with hardly any discounts in delivery charges.

Week 3 of July started with something oldsomething new, the Curry Chicken & Osmanthus Egg Rice Set @ RM12.  The something new is the osmanthus egg while the something old was the curry chicken from the mee siam with chicken curry kapitan previously.

The only osmanthus I was familiar with is the sweet dessert of transparent osmanthus cake made with osmanthus flower in a jelly-like cake.  Some would even have goji berries or water chestnut in them.  So I was wondering what this osmanthus egg was.....it turned out to be a mixture of scrambled eggs with Chinese dried mushrooms, wood ear fungus, glass noodles, julienned carrot and spring onions that was served on top of a piece of sang choy (lettuce).  It was ok...nothing to be overly excited about.

The curry chicken was pretty much the same in flavour with the previous curry chicken kapitan.  It was still thick and delicious...and I fully welcomed a bit more potatoes this time round.  Knowing how good the curry chicken was from past experience, I did not hesitate to get an extra a la carte portion @ RM8 for our dinner later that day.

A rather generous portion as you can see...this was almost two portions of chicken curry (drumstick & thigh) which I reheated for our dinner (as I only ate one piece of chicken & potato for my lunch earlier in the day).  

That same week, Sally's Kitchen also had for sale their Hae Bee Sambal @ RM12 (for 150g), a classic Nyonya dried shrimp sambal.  This slightly spicy dried shrimp sambal is made with the pounding or blending of lots of dried shrimps (har mai) and frying it with a chilli paste until dry.  So far, their attempts at the dishes they put out have turned out mostly successful but (unfortunately) I can't say the same for their hae bee sambal.

How good a hae bee sambal really depends on how good the quality of the dried shrimps are...and this one fell short.  It was also missing that chilli oil to make it more fragrant.  I have to say my mom makes a much better dried shrimp belacan sambal (har mai ma lai chan lat chiew).  When we visit her, she would make extra tubs for us to take home.  It's so good, I even spread it over a piece of cucumber...simplicity at its best!

It was very easy for me to assemble this look-alike nasi lemak (but with plain rice lah) for our dinner that day with their curry chicken and dried shrimp sambal by just throwing in some fried ikan bilis, hard-boiled egg and cucumber slices.

The following week saw Chinese Pork Chop Rice @ RM12 featured with sides of potatoes & onions in a sweet and sour gravy with stir-fried mixed vegetables of cauliflower, broccoli, carrot and shimeji mushrooms.   I liked that there was a variety of vegetables and they were cooked until soft. 

The fried pork chop was cooked in a sweet and sour gravy along with potatoes and onions.  The pork chop was lean but sufficiently tender.  This dish is quite similar to sweet and sour pork except you'll be missing a bit of that crispiness you'd get with the smaller chunks of pork since this was done with a piece of pork chop.

The second option for the week was Nasi Goreng Kampong Inchi Kabin @ RM12 which paired a nasi goreng kampong (fried rice) with deep fried chicken marinated in spices served with fried egg, anchovies & sambal belacan.  Inchi Kabin is typically a Nyonya version of fried chicken and this one was well executed.  Even though the chicken didn't arrive fully crispy, it still had good flavours and the portion was really generous with 3 good-sized pieces of chicken from the chicken thigh/leg section.

Besides the Nyonya fried chicken, you also get a decently cooked nasi goreng kampung with two large prawns (it had the crunch like frozen prawns but at least it had the taste of prawns), a fried egg, crispy ikan bilis and a sambal belacan (the same one served with the previous Nyonya lobak set).  If that is not value for money, I don't know what is.

That same week saw a third dish offered (for the first time), Zha Jiang Mian @ RM9.90 with minced pork & potatoes served over a bed of noodles with sides of pickled radish, julienned cucumber & carrots.  Zha Jiang Mien (or Char Cheong Meen) is a popular noodle dish from China that's often referred to as Beijing Fried Sauce Noodles.  It's a dish where thick, flour-based noodles are tossed with a rich, meaty sauce (usually pork mince) along with finely shredded cucumber and carrot.

The sauce is usually made with a sweet bean sauce or hoisin sauce and ground bean sauce (made from fermented yellow soybeans that's saltier and less sweet).  The thick meat sauce was generous and plentiful but I found tiny cubes of potatoes in it (which I initially thought were pork lard bits at first glance).  I don't think this would be in a typical char cheong meen dish, right?

I did enjoy the wide, flat and chewy noodles which were cooked right.  Though the meaty sauce tasted decent, it didn't quite taste the same nor look as dark as some char cheong meen recipes I've eaten (the one I had in Esquire Kitchen comes to mind).  Then again, I'm no authority on zha jian mian since I hardly eat this type of noodle.

The menu for the final week of July kicked off with a repeated dish of Thai Green Curry @ RM13 with sides of Onion Omelette and Stir-Fried Long Beans & Carrot.  The Thai Green Curry was one of the first things I tried (and liked) from Sally's Kitchen, so I reordered when the dish came round again.

This time, the green curry came with added softened cabbage besides brinjal.  Unlike previously, there weren't quite enough brinjal + it was cooked too soft (coz the pieces were cut smaller) until it kind of disintegrated into the curry.  The green curry was still delicious, just not as good as I remembered when I had it the first time.  It was missing a bit of that green curry paste flavour as I tasted creamy santan more than anything else.

Another choice for the week was this Braised Hakka Pork Belly with Stir-Fried Green Vegetables @ RM12.  It arrived in a long plastic container with 3 compartments (I've to say I've not seen a container like this before). Hey, this will come in handy as a recycled container to tapau chap fan (of 3 dishes).  This is one food delivery that have their food packaged in many types of containers. 

The Hakka Char Yoke or braised pork belly was excellent...the half lean, half fat chunky pieces of pork and black fungus were nicely tender and the delicious sauce, with a hint of Chinese cooking wine, was good...maybe just a teeny-weeny bit salty but that will be taken care of when eaten with rice.  I liked that the pork belly this round was not as fatty as the previous Braised Mui Choy with Pork dish.  I also preferred this to their previous Hakka Fried Pork.

The stir-fried greens turned out to be tenderly soft Hong Kong Choy Sum with crispy fried shallots.  A nice touch to round off the meal...just wished there was more of it.

The final menu for July was this Fried Meehoon with Dried Shrimps with Curry Vegetables & Fried Wontons @ RM12 served with a dipping of fresh red bird's eye chillies and soy sauce.

The white-coloured fried meehoon with omelette shreds was not oily and good even on its own (for me) though others would most probably prefer to eat it with the vegetable curry for more flavour.  The fried wontons arrived fully crispy with a pork mince filling...nice and crispy, nothing to fault.

The vegetable curry was really good with ingredients of softened potatoes, carrots, long beans, cabbage, brinjal, ladies finger and beancurd puffs.  If there's one thing they do well, it's their curries! ;)

Again, Sally's Kitchen has come through for me in helping me solve what to eat (and not having to cook) for at least 3 meals (usually dinner) in a week now that they offer a third dish for Fridays.  Actually, I quite enjoyed their fried rice and fried meehoon which they (surprisingly) did rather well, not too oily or overly savoury. The other would be their deliciously tender Braised Hakka Char Yoke & Black Fungus (with its hint of Chinese rice wine) which certainly deserves to be ranked among their top dishes so far.....with hope of more to come! ^_~

10 comments:

  1. i just got overwhelmed with all these nice foodies from Sally's Kitchen! The Thai Green curry caught my attention! i miss Thai food very much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Sally's Kitchen has been churning out lots of good dishes. I'm very fortunate I can rely on them for my meals.

      Delete
  2. Osmanthus Egg does sound very special and exotic. I believe I have eaten osmanthus jelly at some wedding dinner, though I can't say that the taste is very distinct. I guess its presence in the egg is lost. The curry looks as good as it tastes judging from your positive review. Hmmm...the hae bee sambal does not have the right color and did not taste right either. Eh, you want to share your mum's har mai ma lai chan lat chiew recipe? wahahahaha!

    I would appreciate the pork chop rice since I love sweet and sour sauce. I don't mind lean meat as long as it is tender and not dry. I think that it goes well with the mixed fried vegetables. I must say that the dish that caught my eye is the Nasi Goreng Kampong Inchi Kabin. Not just the bento container hah..hah..but the chunky chicken pieces and the fried rice with two big prawns. At RM12.00, I say it is a steal! You even get a fried egg, sambal belacan (yum!) and crispy ikan bilis.

    That zha jiang mian I have seen before at Esquire Kitchen a long time ago. I meant to give it a try but somehow never did. I think the Koreans have a version of that in the form of jajangmyeon which I'm afraid I don't like.

    The Thai Green Curry looks rather pale. I reckon Sally had trouble getting enough basil leaves hence you tasted mostly santan in the curry. Oh! I like Hakka Char Yoke hee..hee.. been a while since I last had it. I agree that Sally could have been more generous with the greens.

    The fried meehoon was served with vegetable curry, quite an unusual combo but I would be happy with that. It's nice that the fried wontons arrive crispy because usually these things get soft by the time they are delivered.

    I am sure that Sally's other customers also appreciate her cooking as much as you do and that would surely keep her in business and keep her customers very happy. If I had a Sally in my taman, I would also order very frequently!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, there's no osmanthus (flower) in the egg mixture actually. It's just the name of the dish (the way it's served mimics the osmanthus jelly cake only). I, too, thought the colour of the sambal was off when I opened it. I would share my mom's ma lai chan lat chiew if I had the recipe but you know-lah, the generation before us like to cook with an agak-agak recipe...lol.

      All that for RM12 is unbelievable, right? ;)

      I would think that the Korean version sounds about right...from the similar name of jajangmyeon! ;) Oh, you're not a fan either?

      I see, the basil leaves is what gives the green curry paste its flavour and colour. My sister-in-law said the day they had it, his son asked when the green curry looks like grey(ish) curry...wakakakaka! :D

      That's my advantage of living in the same neighbourhood where Sally's Kitchen is HQed, I get my wontons crispy from the wok.

      I'm very lucky to have a Sally in my taman...maybe one day you will too :)

      Delete
  3. You mentioned that you ordered green curry for your meals, now I see it in your post. You ordered and tried quite a variety from rice to noodles to beehoon. I would say my favorite goes to the braised pork belly rice. You are right to say hard to find food delivery services that do not charge for delivery. Foodpanda delivery charges are so high!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With our unending MCOs, FoodPanda can now afford to charge higher delivery fees with more people opting for food deliveries these days. There are practically no food delivery services that don't charge delivery fees nowadays. I happen to be living in the same housing area as this one, that's why delivery is foc.

      Delete
  4. It is so nice to hear that Sally's Kitchen is back in action to feed the neighbourhood. This time, I could see how convenient when it comes to meals as they would deliver at no extra cost all the warm and delicious meals. I have no objection to her cooking and like almost all of them. Now it has become a tiresome chore just to plan nightly what I would be eating the next day for lunch and dinner that would please me so that I would not sink into depression.

    This Curry Chicken & Osmanthus Egg Rice Set sounds delicious but it turns out to be nothing to be excited. Yeah, I love to eat them when served as jelly in restaurants. I started to search online where I could buy Osmanthus Jelly after seeing your post. Still undecided as I only found one supplier from JB.

    Aha!!! I must try to make Hae Bee Sambal since I am in the frenzy mood now to make condiments or whatever that could please my appetite. My wife is allergy to shrimps but I am not. It is appetizing to eat that Hae Bee Sambal with just plain rice.

    I really miss eating Zha Jiang Mian very-very much now. I used to eat them weekly at Esquire Kitchen when my parents were alive. They were fussy eaters, so I had to keep bringing them to their favourite places only.

    Vegetable Curry!!! Bring on. I love to eat them piping hot with plain rice. Yums.

    You are so blessed to have Sally's Kitchen as your own kitchen. Me envy lo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course it had to be no delivery charges for me-lah since I'm living in the same taman as Sally...hehehe! ;) Yeah, thinking of what to eat or what to cook is quite tiresome with this extended round of MCO.

      I wouldn't know how to make osmanthus jelly.

      Yes, I saw your homemade condiments...you're quite adapt at making sambal belacan. Next you can try this hae bee sambal...to eat with just plain rice and cucumber...yum.

      Ah, you like zha jiang mian. When comes to Esquire Kitchen, all the old folks like this place...a household name.

      Aiyo, not my own kitchen-lah...but a kitchen near enough for me to just tekan-tekan my phone and hot meals will arrive at my doorstep...kekeke! ^_~

      Delete
  5. Osmanthus egg is direct translated from its Cantonese name Guai Fa Dan or Guai Fa Chi where "Guai Fa" is Osmanthus and Guai Fa Chi contains "sharkfin" which usually appeared as on of the dishes on cold platter during wedding dinner.
    If there's an option of fried chicken, I'll no hesitation to choose that, so the kampong fried rice with inchi kabin would be my choice. :P I can't resist fried chicken.
    I like the gravy of the Hakka Char Yoke, doused on the rice, yum...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your explanation. Oh, no wonder I remember eating this dish as part of the hot & cold platter at dinner functions before...and yes, it usually has sharksfin stir-fried together with it.
      Who can resist fried chicken anyway...hehe! ^_*
      Yes, the gravy of Hakka Char Yoke is so tasty and flavourful, I make sure every drop of it is in my rice...hah..hah.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...