Pages

Wednesday 13 November 2019

Show Canned Food Some Love!

If you happen to be a health freak, you can stop reading now.  But, if you're like me, who eats healthy too but is not a complete health psycho, then some canned foods may yet feature in your life! ^_~

I know canned food isn't the best for us but I can't deny that I do like to eat some of them, both for the taste and the ease of preparation.  All of us have one of those days when we're too lazy (or tired) to cook (hey, good cooks need good rest too) or don't want to brave the rain to get food.  Those are the days when canned food comes to the rescue.


So, do you eat any canned food at all?  If you do, what are some of your favourite canned foods you just can't do without?  Here comes ten cans/brands (with a free endorsement from me...haha!) which you'll probably find in my pantry at any given time (even though there are way more types available in the market).

#1 - Fried Dace with Salted Black Beans (Some China Brand)


Probably my most favoured food that comes out of a can...but it must be the right brand (coz some brands are not nice at all).  I get the same brand from my usual dry goods supplier (but don't ask me for the name as I've no clue since everything is in Chinese)...and, mind you, this one isn't all that cheap either.


The simplest way to eat this is to just steam it (I add a little water just so that I can have a bit more sauce) and it's great with rice or porridge.


Sometimes, I would even make a one-pot wonder by tearing the fish into smaller pieces and stirring everything (including the fermented black beans) into a pot of cooked rice (one can is good enough for 3 - 4 servings of rice).  Makes a quick instant one-dish meal with a vegetable of your choice...happy days! ^o^  

#2 - Stewed Pork Chops (Narcissus)

When it comes to stewed pork, I only eat one brand...Narcissus (not easy to find these days).  Even my regular dry goods supplier says it'll be a while before he brings them in again as they're rather expensive, so less demand.  Gulong (most commonly available) and other brands, the sauce don't taste as good.


Again, I make a one-dish meal out of this by adding sang choy (iceberg lettuce)...and you have a quick-fire complete meal with meat, veggie and sauce.  P/S: My MIL makes a 'killer' mui choy kau yoke (braised pork belly with sweet preserved vegetable)...and her secret ingredient...the addition of a can of Narcissus stewed pork leg...surprise, surprise! :O

#3 - Sardines in Tomato Sauce (Ayam Brand)


If you like sardines, you're bound to have eaten it out of a can before.  I don't even mind the use of canned sardines or mackerel in assam laksa.  I choose it when I see it at chap fan stalls though not all are to my liking coz some of them use the cheaper brands where the sardines can be dry.


After trying a few brands, I ended up sticking with Ayam brand...and I cook it at home with lots of onions (I'll throw in some sliced chillies if I have).

But, beware though, I've bought Ayam mackerel instead of sardines before and it tasted so bluek that I thought the brand was no longer good only to be alerted by my usual vendor if I had mistakenly bought the wrong one.  Only then did I realise that there were two...and the can looks exactly the same except for the words mackerel and sardines...well, now I know....so, be careful when you buy.

#4 - Luncheon Meat (YiGe)


Well, this one certainly needs no introduction...and YiGe is the tastiest brand I know.  How many times have a can of luncheon meat been a lifesaver at home? ;)


There's plenty you can do with a can of luncheon meat since it's so versatile.  Simply pan-fry and eat with rice or slap it between two slices of bread.  Make an omelette out of it or use it in fried rice.  Add them into a bowl of instant noodles or even make a veggie dish with it...the possibilities are endless.

#5 - Braised Peanuts (Gulong)


These braised peanuts first gained traction (I think) when they were served as tidbits (instead of the usual fried peanuts) in Chinese restaurants.  I remember telling myself then how nice if someone makes this and sell...and lo and behold, it got canned (no pun intended)!


Now I can enjoy eating this as a snack at home...just open and steam.  Not quite as tasty as those restaurant-made ones but it'll have to do.

#6 - Button Mushrooms (Rex)


I will usually pick this brand as I like the larger size of the mushrooms.


When cooking button mushrooms at home, I normally use it in a dish of loh hon chai (mixed vegetables)....


......or a dish of braised assorted mushrooms.  Some even use canned button mushrooms in a one-pot savoury rice.

#7 - Baked Beans (TST)


I think most of the canned baked beans in the market are quite similar in taste.  I used to eat Yeo's and Ayam brands, now I seem to have settled on TST.


You'd even see this on most platters of a western-style breakfast.


But the most common way I have it at home is cooked with eggs.  Got beans, got eggs, got sauce...what else you want-lah! :D

#8 - Cream of Mushroom (Campbell's)


There are so many Campbell's soup varieties in the market but the one I'm latched on to is the cream of mushroom (you even have wild mushroom, mushroom potage or creamy chicken mushroom for variation).


Nothing is more comforting than to tuck into a bowl of warm soup on a cold night.  All it needs is a crack of black pepper and you're good to go.


The canned button mushrooms come in handy here too coz I'd even add more sometimes into my bowl of mushroom soup (there's no such thing as too much).

#9 - Spiced Pork Cubes (Narcissus)


You can simply just open the can, reheat it and have it with rice.


But I learned to have it with instant noodles (at home).  Don't blame me...blame Kim Gary (hehe!) for putting that idea in my head (they do a version of fried rice with it too).  Best with curry type of instant noodles to tie in with the spiced flavour of the pork dices.

#10 - Tuna Chunks in Olive Oil (Ayam Brand)


I love tuna...and I've tried a couple of different brands before settling on Ayam brand.  They're available in chunks or flakes and can come in mayo, mayo light, spicy mayo, olive oil, organic olive oil, even water.  I prefer to get them in chunks and flake it myself before adding my own mayo.


Together with some sweet corn and shredded lettuce, they make a great tuna sandwich.


If there are leftovers, just scoop them on top of some savoury crackers for a nice, little snack.  Hey, I'm sure Cookie wouldn't mind sharing some of that tuna too.

As with everything else, just practise moderation with canned food (the same concept we apply to any other food that's not all that good for us).....and you should do just fine.  Just like we have cheat days for eating, we have cheat days for cooking too.  Even those who can't (or don't) cook cannot mess up making a simple meal out of a can.

Some canned goods deserve a bit of love, don't you think? ^_~

10 comments:

  1. Kudos! Your blog posts never fails to impress and amaze me again. I would always be guessing what would be your next creative posts! So here you are now.

    I always have the same similar cans as your photos, at my home. I would say that luncheon meat is my top favourite. I admire the China folks for selling these Fried Dace in cans as they go well with my porridge anytime. Just need to add the salted duck eggs and canned peanuts will do.

    I would say that I am quite familiar with those canned stuffs from China as I used to spend hours to window shop or browse the supermarket shelves during my earlier trips to Xi'an, Shanghai and Chengdu. I never bought any canned stuffs home as we could get almost same price sometimes. As for the peanuts in restaurants, the larger ones are sold in huge bulks in plastic containers as seen in China's street markets and some local restaurants in KL. That's why we could not get the same size and taste from smaller cans. I think we need to add a pinch of sugar and soya sauce to enhance the taste. I bought their instant cup noodles to try while in China and often had to throw them into the dustbin half way as the smell of their beef and oily soup was terrible. They easily have a few hundred brands in China but I picked the wrong choices. LOL

    I must say thanks for sharing this post today as I am packing my luggage for a trip to a very isolated & unkown destination next Monday. I only packed Kari Letup Cup Noodles only. Now I will bring along the canned tuna chunks as highlighted by you! I totally forgot about these chunks as I used to buy them weekly over 10 years ago to put in my office drawers for quick bite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always look forward to reading your comments coz 1) they're comical - you always put a smile on my face with your comments, 2) they're lengthy - I always end up learning something from your comments in return and 3) they're sincere - not those one-line sentence just for the sake of commenting (which I've seen on other blogs). And I'm always appreciative that you find my posts creative and enjoy reading them (coz I do put quite a bit of work and compilation into writing them).

      As for the braised peanuts, I'll try your suggestion and see if it amps up the taste. I do agree with you though that many China brands canned foods tend to be rather oily, so I'd try to discard some of the oil if possible. I don't think I can eat canned tuna directly out of the can...I need bread or crackers.

      Ooo, an isolated and unknown destination sounds intriguing. What?...you pack spicy food like Kari Letup for your travels...I hope you don't end up with any letup episodes in the toilet...wakakakaka! :D

      Delete
  2. Yes! Yes! I am all for the convenience of canned food. What I have in common with you in my pantry is tuna, sardines, canned mushrooms, baked beans and luncheon meat hee..hee... I see that TST is your preferred brand for baked beans and I switched to this one because it is my dad as well as my partner's choice. As for tuna, I also use Ayam brand and I like their chili tuna.

    Ah! So the Narcissus stewed pork leg is your MIL's secret ingredient in mui choy kau yoke. I would never have thought of that. I have bought this canned stewed pork leg before and use it for fried meehoon. I must give those braised peanuts a try. As for the fried dace, my dad likes it but mum discourage consumption due to saltiness (dad loves his salt hah..hah...).

    I used to try out those canned soups too but somehow I don't like cream of mushroom soup (some people mix it with spaghetti) but prefer tomato soup. Hmmm... I ought to share some of my canned food concoctions one of these days :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like we not only have similar tastes, we have similar tastes in some of the brands...hihihi! :D Oh, I've not tried their chilli tuna (maybe I should).

      Hmmm, I like your dad's choices (of TST & fried dace..hihi). The saltiness in fried dace comes from the fermented black beans, so if you just eat the dace (or don't eat all the beans), it shouldn't be too bad. Sometimes I use the extra beans (in replacement for taucheo beans for some saltiness) in vegetables (like bittergourd & green beans) or tofu stir-fries (with minced meat).

      I've never thought of giving the tomato soup a go since I always make my own with tomato paste and lots of veggies...but creamy mushroom soup I don't know how to make, so I have to buy the canned ones...haha! ;D Oh yes, do share some of your canned food concoctions...I'd like to see what's in your pantry that I don't have (and should have)...hehe! ;)

      Delete
  3. Yay to canned food!
    Luncheon meat (I bought the same brand too, not cheap, really) and Dou Si Leng Yu are my two favourite canned food.
    The sardines and mackerel, I bought wrongly once too and you know what, there's a can in my pantry now which I bought wrong again, sob sob sob ~>_<~
    Mushroom soup most probably my least favourite as I don't like both the taste and the consistency of the soup :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay...to tou si yue too! Looks like I'm not the only one who makes a mistake at buying the wrong 'sardines' (so, you don't like the mackerel too...I find it very dry compared to the sardines). Why do they have to make the can so identical? The only difference I can spot (besides the words) is that one fish has more spots than the other...kekeke! :D Initially, I didn't know there were two..and now that I know, I look carefully before buying.

      Delete
  4. canned sardines, luncheon meat, mushrooms and baked beans are all familiar fare for me, from primary school days up to university :D my softest spot is for campbell's soup, though i haven't had it in years since i have no cooking equipment. i wonder if this 'chunky' range is available in kl :D https://www.campbells.com/campbell-soup/chunky/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, I've not seen the 'chunky' range sold here. Looks like you still can't make a simple meal at home out of a can...not because you can't cook...but because you have no cooking equipment..wuahahahaha! ;D

      Delete
  5. yessss, I love me some canned food now and then. My favorite is the 3 layer stewed pork, to be fried with meehun + some potato, so yums.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I see my MIL's secret ingredient of stewed pork can also be used to fry a yummy plate of meehoon :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...