Pages

Tuesday 13 November 2018

Sg Besi Wantan Mee @ Sungai Besi

After being impressed with their wild boar curry on a previous visit which led me to believe that they must be good with curries, I was eager to try their curry laksa to see how it compares to my benchmark of a good curry laksa.

So, we were back to Sg Besi Wantan Mee @ Sungai Besi for yet another round.

I ordered a Curry Laksa @ RM7 on this visit.  I asked what the curry laksa contains and the lady boss told me that it comes with poached chicken.  I was delighted to hear that as I do like smooth poached chicken with curry laksa but I wasn't expecting to get the majority of it in chicken breast...there goes my wat kai (smooth chicken) out the door! >.<

One of my favourite ingredients in a curry laksa are the beancurd puffs.  They're like these little pillows that soak up all the delicious broth.  I like it when they're really soft and had absorbed all the lovely flavours of the curry and when you bite into them, they'd be bursting with all the curry juices in your mouth.  That's the should-be scenario.  Unfortunately, it wasn't quite like that.  Perhaps we were too early and the beancurd puffs had not had enough time to soak in all that curry.

Though the laksa broth was more savoury than sweet and the flavours were decent...and you can taste the santan, it wasn't quite enough and the consistency was a little too thin for me.  It certainly wasn't in the same league of my favourite laksa but still better than some of the curry laksa stalls you'd find in coffee shops.

When I was almost half way through my noodles, I found the see hum (cockles) at the bottom of the bowl...cooked all the way through! :>(  What happened to my bloody cockles (pun intended)? O_o  Now why would they serve it that way? *scratch head*  Don't they know cockle lovers prefer their cockles raw and bloody...and that's why they're always served on top.  If they want it less raw, they can dunk them in the hot broth to cook it a little...it's our choice, you don't get to decide for us! :P  Now, I think even less of their curry laksa! >_<

It was the smashing Wild Boar Curry @ RM10 in the first place that convinced me to return, so, of course I had to order it again.  Still as good.  Still as delicious.

Since they serve rice here, they also offer vegetables.  We got the Po Li Sang Choy (Iceberg Lettuce) @ RM9 with oyster sauce, garlic oil and crispy minced garlic.  For those not into wantan mee, you can make a meal of these two dishes with rice.  Some other dishes that can complement rice would be their Char Chee Yoke or more commonly known as Hakka Char Yoke (Braised Pork Belly with Wood-Ear Fungus), Chee Kiok Chou (Vinegared Pork Trotters) and yong tau foo.

If you're having rice, don't forget to help yourself to the splendid ma lai chan lat chiew (cooked sambal belacan) that's on the table.  Very generous of them to leave it on the table to let us take however much we want.

On my last visit, my wantan mee came without wantans, so I made sure I got to try these this time round.  I ordered both the Soup Wantans and the Fried Wantans @ RM0.50/pc.  The wantans were alright, with a thicker than usual skin and a minced pork filling, nothing special.

The fried wantans offered a crispier bite than the fried dumplings (I had the last round) as the skins were thinner.  The fillings were probably the same.

My Personal Opinion

Though they're more popular for their signature dish of wantan mee (you don't have to be Einstein to know this, it's pretty obvious from the name), I'm not particularly fond of it.  I much prefer their other dishes like wild boar curry which you can eat with rice (perhaps their curry chicken and Hakka char yoke will be good accompaniments too).

Having said that, it's still a place to get a fairly decent plate of wantan mee (with all the "works" as in a lot of different toppings)....especially in the odd hours of the morning! ;)

Sg Besi Wan Tan Mee
302 & 304 Jalan Sungai Besi
57100 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: 03-9222 8177

10 comments:

  1. It must be 4-5 years or more since my last visit. Thanks for reminding me of their really splendid ma lai chan lat chiew! I must visit again and try the wild boar curry with rice. Did you see big cockroaches running behind the alleys?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aiyo, don't frighten me lah! I'll pretend I didn't hear that. What I don't see won't hurt me...kekeke! :P

      Delete
  2. Yikes! Chicken breast :( I would not be happy either. What a waste that the see hum were cooked to death! Well, at least the wild boar curry is still good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we want poached chicken or wat kai, chicken breast is not the cut we have in mind :)

      Delete
  3. Generous portion for that wild boar, do you think so?
    I can see the "sponge" side of bean curd puffs still very "white", not sufficiently absorb the curry broth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, that's what I thought initially too when I saw the whitish-looking beancurd puffs! O_o

      Delete
  4. Oh no! Those cockles perished in vain! Though my motto is, better over-cooked cockles than no cockles at all! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My motto is...if I'm going to eat something unhealthy, it better be good otherwise it's just a waste of stomach space and calories...haha! ;D

      Delete
  5. Hee hee. I was admiring all of the chicken breast thinking it's a little healthier. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course it's a little healthier....but also a little drier! :P

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...