Pages

Monday 5 November 2018

Just One Food - Rempeyek

One of the most well-liked crunchy Malay snacks are these crispy crackers that I love...for which I didn't know what they're called initially.  So, I googled crispy fried crackers with nuts and ikan bilis....and that's how I learned they're called rempeyek.

I wasn't aware that they're actually an Indonesian snack to begin with.  I thought they were a local snack since it's commonly found here, usually made and sold by Malay vendors.

There are a couple of variations of this crispy cracker...some have green beans (kacang hijau) while some may even have dhal but the most common are the ones studded with nuts (kacang) or a combination of nuts and anchovies (ikan bilis).

They're made with very basic ingredients of rice flour, coconut milk and water into a runny batter before being studded with toppings and fried.  Some might have additional shredded curry leaves or kaffir lime leaves in the mix for more flavour.

The crackers are also scattered with ground spices which I think are cumin seeds (jintan putih) and fennel seeds (jintan manis) since the seeds share a similar shape (and I can't tell them apart).  These spices have highly aromatic, strong flavours.  They taste earthy, pungent, lemony, even slightly bitter.  There could possibly be some coriander seeds in the mix as well.  The spices of cumin and fennel seeds give the cracker this very lemony taste, perfumey fragrance that some may not like...but I do. ^.^

I've eaten quite a few of these in my time but most of them, though crispy, had hard and thick textures which I didn't really fancy.

The ones I really like are ones sold by a Malay lady who goes around on foot to restaurants and coffee shops in my housing area.  I first had a taste of those made by her some years back and then never saw her again until recently when I bumped into her again at a coffee shop.

Hers were the only ones I've eaten thus far that were truly thin...and utterly crispy, of course.  The batter is so thin, it's almost transparent...so crunchy, so yum!  It's very addictive and it's difficult to stop at one. ^o^

Though hers have only nuts and no ikan bilis, I prefer it that way since it's difficult to find those with good quality ikan bilis.  Most of the ones I've tried are those poor quality ones that taste really hard.  Hers also have little flecks of chillies.

Getting to eat her rempeyek depends on luck....as and when I bump into her at the eating places in my taman.  On one hand, I could ask for her contact no. but I think that'll be inappropriate as it wouldn't be very nice to ask her to meet me when I only buy like one to three packets at a time.  She sells each packet at RM4 (or RM10 for 3) and each pack has about 8 - 10 pieces (she sells other crispy snacks too).

I guess I'm destined to eat her rempeyek only as and when I bump into her when I'm out eating in my neighbourhood which is fine by me (I don't have to overindulge).  So, fingers crossed....kekeke!  Are you a fan of this crispy snack? ^_~


10 comments:

  1. I have recently been learning about the huge variety that these snacks come in. Do you like to eat them with sambal?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, we don't eat these with sambal. This crispy snack is different from emping melinjo which you do eat with sambal.

      Delete
  2. Oh yes! I love rempeyek too. There is a good one called Secret Rempeyek. In fact I blogged about it some years ago. You could check their FB. But I have not eaten for some time so I don't know if they are still awesome like before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I did check out their FB and found your blog post which they shared on their FB. From the looks of their rempeyek, they used different spices and their peanuts look really fresh and huge. The price they charge from 5 years ago is about the same as the ones I get here now. I shall refrain from ordering since delivery is available (and free) for 5 pkts and I don't want to have to eat that many....hehe! ;D

      Delete
  3. Ooo, my family in malacca looooves rempenyek, and they purchase cans of it, but I somehow never acquired a taste for it. I like the peanut component but not the cracker itself (or the ikan bilis). I’ve always thought it would go well with nasi lemak cos of the nuts and anchovies :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it will go well with nasi lemak as this is a crispy snack meant to be eaten on its own :)

      Delete
  4. I am very fond of Indonesian food esp their Nasi Padang, Layer Cakes and all the cracker tidbits like this rempeyek. Now your post is making me drool at the thought of the time I enjoyed staying in Yogyakarta where they have abundance of big jar bottles Indon crackers & rempeyek-like cookies being displayed at restaurants.

    I saw these rempeyek being sold here and regretted buying once as they 'masuk angin'. I had to bring home and heat up in the oven toaster. You are also aware that good ones are not easily available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will 'naik angin' if the crispy snacks I buy end up to be 'masuk angin'...haha! :D

      Delete
  5. Not really a fan but it is nice to eat as snack but like what you said, some are quite hard and the worse is some even very oily with rancid taste.>_<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rancid taste is the worst. I do like this but eat them only sparingly :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...