Pages

Friday 27 May 2016

Mikey's New York Pizza.....Delivery

I saw a promotion by Pizza Hut in the papers earlier in the day (I've not eaten Pizza Hut in years) and thought of ordering pizza delivery for dinner later one weekend night.  Luckily, I read a fellow blogger's (RealGunners) blog who tried that promotion already (the Xtreme Pizza featuring the Mighty Chicken, Pepperoni Beast, Seafood Hero & Super Hawaiian) and blogged about how underwhelming it was (actually, I could tell by just looking at the pics on his blog).

Then, I remembered The Yum List's review on Mikey's New York Pizza where I learned that they offer delivery. I've been meaning to check out Mikey's New York Pizza for a while now but just that I've not made it into any of their outlets in Mid Valley, Bangsar or Publika.  But that's not a problem since they now offer delivery services....how wonderful!  As I'm not a fan of cheese, pizzas aren't something I'd eat regularly but, since my family loves it, I do eat them occasionally.

Ordering is easy and fast through Whatsapp...and they reply instantly!  Check their menu online and just send your orders to 017-846 0080 with your address...it's as simple as that!  And your orders will arrive in 45 minutes to an hour.  You get a message when the order is on the way.  It's cash on delivery and a minimum order of RM50 is required.

True enough, within an hour, our orders arrived...and the food was still warm.  The good thing about Mikey's pizzas is that you can order them in slices (if you wish)....and they're big slices (9 inches in diameter)!  Of course, you also have the choice of a whole ginormous 18-inch pizza (with 8 slices) if you want (which can easily feed 4 - 6 persons).

We went for slices because we wanted variety and because of the enormous size of each slice (one slice will probably suffice for smaller eaters, otherwise two will certainly do the job).

Our first slice was The Tony Soprano @ RM15.88 per slice (or RM88.88 for a whole pie) that's filled with meatballs, sliced steak, pepperoni, roasted peppers and garlic and topped with mozzarella cheese.

This, being the most expensive slice on the menu, was generously laden with pepperoni, I must say.  As for the sliced steak, you'd find only one small piece...and, from the pic, you can see for yourself that it was very dry. I found myself liking the bits of juicy meatballs on the pizza.  Overall, the flavours were decent and, if you like pepperoni, this is the pizza for you. 

Next was The Sweet Hawaiian Pizza @ RM13.88 per slice (or RM88.88 for a whole pie) which came with shredded chicken and a pineapple salsa with mozzarella and cheddar cheese, topped with pineapple ring and maraschino cherry and finished with a sweet pineapple cream sauce.  

We've always loved the classic Hawaiian pizza that comes with chicken and pineapple but this one we weren't embracing.  The chicken was shredded so fine you could hardly taste it and it was smothered in a cream sauce that made it a bit cloying like I was eating carbonara pasta.  I'd prefer a version that comes with chunks of chicken and pineapple (not fine shreds please)! >_<

Mama's Wild Mushroom Pizza @ RM12.88 per slice (or RM79.88 for a whole pie) was my choice as I love mushrooms.  This one had a combination of shiitake, oyster and portobello mushrooms sauteed in butter, garlic, olive oil and fresh basil with mozzarella cheese and tomato sauce.

I found this pizza to be the best among all the pizzas we ordered as the flavours were enticing.  Can't go wrong with a combination of mushrooms.

Our final selection was the Pizza Bianco @ RM10.88 per slice (or RM69.88 for a whole pie) which is Mikey's signature 4-cheese white pizza: mozzarella, cheddar, ricotta and goat cheeses with olive oil, garlic and black pepper.

Obviously, this one was not my choice...haha....but since my son likes cheese, we ordered it.  Sadly, he didn't like the slight tang of the ricotta and goat cheese! :'(  I obviously stayed clear of this one.

Overall, the flavours of their home-made tomato sauce and the toppings were certainly decent but the pizza dough didn't impress.  It was thick and chewy...not thin and crisp or somewhere in between.  The edge of the crust was particularly chewy and hard.  From what I know, New York-style pizzas are supposed to be large hand-tossed thin-crust pies with a crust which is crisp along its edges yet soft and pliable enough to be folded in half to eat.

Mikey even have a hashtag #LiftFoldBite on how to eat their pizzas! ;D  As you can see, I lifted...but the folding was easier said than done.  I had to use a bit of force as the dough was pretty thick and wasn't as flexible as I thought! :'(  I've seen these pizzas being difficult to eat flat as the pizza is so thin and, with the weight of the toppings, it'll collapse if not folded.  It wasn't the case here.

We also had a side order of Brooklyn Waffle Fries @ RM12.88 which is their famed "disco fries" (more like criss-cross fries) smothered in cheddar cheese and paired with a beef gravy (I actually dunked the rather hard pizza crust into this gravy to moisten it >.< and finished all the gravy in the process).  Don't expect the fries to be crispy on the outside due to the smothering of cheese and the result of delivery.  I (surprisingly) didn't mind the cheese and it tasted alright dunked in the beef gravy but could do with a better portion size for the price.

Our last order was the Boneless Buffalo Chicken @ RM12.88 which featured 8 pcs of breaded, boneless chicken that have been deep fried and coated with Mikey's signature buffalo sauce and served with their house-made blue cheese dip and some celery and carrot sticks.  Again, I wasn't fond of this dish as I tasted raw, uncooked spices (which I disliked) with a rather acidic taste in the coating sauce (although the chicken meat was tender).  Also, for those who can't take the heat, better to stay clear of this one as it's quite spicy.  I think I'll stick to just pizzas here! :)

My Personal Opinion

There has been a lot of hype and good reviews on this authentic New York style pizza here in KL but my experience wasn't quite what I had hoped it would be.  

Perhaps, my expectation was too high or the delivery compromised the outcome.  Maybe because we ordered by slice, the whole pizza could have been made earlier and the slices reheated (as I've seen pics of whole pizzas sitting on their counters in many blogs).  Perhaps, if we had ordered a whole pizza, that would have been freshly made to order.  Or if I had dined in, my experience could have been different.

With so many ifs and maybes, it's best to not come to a conclusion until such time that I've had a chance to dine in and taste (hopefully) a freshly made one hot from the oven! :D  It's a shame really...coz the pizza toppings were good especially Mama's Wild Mushroom and The Soprano.  Maybe there's a consistency or execution issue with the pizza dough.  Oh well.....you try, you decide! ;)

P/S:  Update (3.06.2016)
I received a lengthy (but informative) email from the head chef of Mikey's a day after my review of their pizza delivery was posted.  He was concerned that my experience was not what I had hoped for.  He went on to explain what Mikey's pizza is all about and I've since learned a couple of new things from his email that I didn't know before.  It tells me that they're passionate about what they do and strive to give all their customers the best experience possible.  And it is for this very reason, I may yet dine-in at Mikey's one day and hopefully get to experience the pinnacle of a true New York pizza.

Mikey's New York Pizza
(with outlets in Mid Valley, Bangsar & Publika)

15 comments:

  1. I suspect it is due to delivery. I don't know, after a few bouts of delivery services, I find that usually, restaurant/cafe food are best eaten a la dine-in. Tapao doesn't work for them, the food will somehow taste... not as good. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we have to lower our expectations a bit (to be fair) when we order delivery :)

      Delete
  2. I have heard of Mikey's NY Pizza and have been wanting to try. The size is very suitable for me hah..hah.. Even though generally I don't like cheese, somehow I am OK with cheese in pizza. But any cheese other than mozzarella and cheddar is a no no. The Pizza Bianco is also not for me. Goat's cheese is too strong, can pengsan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the pizzas here are made for you.....or the ones from Bowery (which comes in 22 in)...haha! :D

      Delete
  3. Oh, has their crust become thicker since the last time I ate this? If so, I would like it more, hehehehe. I guess your son would have like their Classic New York pizza better with just one cheese (I think) as the topping. I am tempted to try the Pizza Bianco as I love to eat cheese but I don't like black pepper so hhhhmmmm......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe the crust seems thicker (and chewier) when it's not eaten hot from the oven. Perhaps you can get them to tailor make one Pizza Bianco for you without black pepper if you can get enough people to order a whole pizza that is...hehe! :D

      Delete
  4. that's pretty cool, how each slice is delivered in its own individual triangle box, i didn't realise that :) as of last year, they hadn't extended delivery to my neighbourhood yet, but i wouldn't mind ordering a couple of slices ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can easily enquire through whatsapp if they deliver to your area...I think they do. Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised with the nice packaging of individual triangle boxes too.

      Delete
  5. Oh dear, I always get so nervous when you follow a recommendation, but it doesn't turn out! We did dine in and pizza was made on the spot. Perhaps that was the difference. Sorry your experience wasn't as fab as it should have been.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries, Monica. Sometimes the experience is not as fab because of our individual (and different) palates (and not so much the taste of the food). Anyway, you have given me more good recommendations (and experiences) than not, so thank you! ;)

      Delete
  6. That pepperoni looks proper! Quite neat that they have it in slices properly boxed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never try this Mikey's Pizza most probably I'm not a pizza fan too :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, but they have a lot more to offer than just pizzas....pasta, buffalo chicken, philly cheese steak, fries and frozen custard :)

      Delete
  8. this recipe looks delicious.. this Pizza is must try..

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...