Pages

Saturday 12 August 2023

A Guide on How to Grow Spring Onions.....Unsuccessfully!

Readers of my blog will know how much I love to eat spring onions.  Heck, I've even dedicated an entire post on "How many ways can you use up a bunch of spring onions?"

I adore it so much that I would want it sprinkled on top of just about anything.  I would cook dishes at home which utilises them such as in this, thisthisthis and this (you can see I use spring onions quite a lot in my cooking).

I would even treat it as a vegetable (in one of my most cooked dish at home)...that's how much I love spring onions!

I don't have a green thumb or green fingers or anything green in my body for that matter as I've never grown anything in my life but I thought I'd give growing spring onions a try coz, well, it looked deceptively simple enough from what I googled and read + I've watched some videos on how it's done.  It shouldn't be that hard, right?  Wrong!  It's pretty obvious from my post title, isn't it?

So I thought I better be upfront and not mislead those who want to grow spring onions successfully coz this is my Guide on How to Grow Onions...Unsuccessfully...lol!  Let me show you what I did.

First, I went for the easiest method (from what I saw online)...and that is in a jar of water! ;)  I followed what I was told and that is to cut off the green parts leaving some of the white parts.

Wash off the dirt and plonk it into a jar of water...no problemo, easy peasy.  Change the water daily and watch it grow in a week.  Okie dokie....will do.  I put it near my kitchen window so that it can benefit from a bit of sunlight.

Within 2 days, I was surprised to see new shoots sprouting out by a few inches (though what grew out was very thin).  Another 2 days later, it grew even more.  But by the 5th day, it wilted and died! >.<   That's because the roots and bulbs started decaying and became mushy as they continued to be submerged in water daily.  The rotting was obvious as the water became murky (even though I changed it daily).  Logically, that should happen if something is submerged in water 24/7.  So, nothing like the vibrant growing scallions I see in photos online (now I wonder if those are even real....lol).

So, regrowing spring onions from cuttings in a jar of water didn't work at all.  Time for the second method...to grow them in soil.  I even bought 2 new flower pots (gave one away) and organic soil just for the project.

Then I stuck 5 small onions (shallots) and one large onion (obviously hoping for fatter spring onions) into the soil.  P/S: Note that the large onion had already sprouted whilst on my kitchen counter before I even planted it.

I was so happy to see brand new shoots appear after about a week.

5 days later....more shoots appeared (on the small onions) but noticed that the big onion was starting to wither and shrink.

It took 2 weeks for the spring onions to grow to a max of about 4 - 5 inches...and that was it.  Meanwhile, the large onion shrivelled up and died, so I planted a few more shallots.

Since it had stopped growing and seeing that the tips had started to brown, I decided it was time to harvest my miserable crop...lol!

Oh, look at my harvest.....one tablespoon full...wakakakaka! O_o

They don't even look like spring onions....they're so thin they look more like chives.

Surprisingly, after I harvested aka trimmed the spring onions, it grew again in 5 days....and I harvested a second time (another spoonful...applause please!).  And that was it...after that, the onion bulbs became hollow and eventually died.

My sister-in-law felt that the pot I used was too shallow and gave me a planter's box.  Well, I tried growing in that too...with both onion bulbs and trimmed spring onions but ended up with the same horrific result.  Sometimes when the sun is too scorching hot, I would even move the pots to a shadier place.  That's the tender loving care I give to them...and how do they repay me?  They die on me!  Well, of course, there's the third method... to grow them from seeds (not that I'll be attempting that).

On a side note, since we're on the subject of plants and planting, I noticed this little bugger one day on my neighbour's pot of kaffir lime leaves.  Can you see it?

They can devour their way through the leaves in a matter of days (hours even) leaving a trail of destruction.

See how quickly a small little creature like that can burrow/eat its way through the leaf.

So, yours truly did her civic duty (other than voting today) and removed this cute but destructive little bugger from the plant.  After all, I have vested interest in keeping this plant healthy and thriving (as I sometimes need kaffir lime leaves in my cooking).  I plucked the leaf off its branch and left it on the ground near a tree (sorry, little caterpillar, hope you find another plant to devour...as long as it's not this one)! :D

On the same subject matter, there was a time I was shocked when I found the bok choy I bought came with a little surprise gift when I took it out to cook.  The little critter had survived for 3 - 4 days in the cold (in my fridge....wow!) and devoured my bok choy whilst marooned there.  Not only that but it left many deposits for me (luckily the bok choy was secured in a plastic bag).

Sorry for the minor deviation.  Let's get back on track.  So, how do you grow spring onions successfully at home?  Well, it looks like the answer to that question is....you can't.....or, at least, I can't!  And that was pretty much the end of my planting adventure. >_<

I think I'll stick to buying spring onions that cost me only RM1.50 a bunch (or RM2 for two bunches).  They come fresh, fat...and, most of all, no effort or love needed.  Wash, let them dry completely (in the open spread out onto a kitchen cloth if you can), cut them into size and store them in an airtight snaplock container wrapped in paper towels (to prevent and absorb moisture while in the fridge)...and it'll last a good one week to 10 days (sometimes even 2 weeks if they're super fresh when bought).

Now I'm left with a flower pot, a planter's box and leftover soil that I don't know what to do with.  It's not as if I'd be planting anything else since I can't even succeed in growing the simplest thing...unless you can suggest something failproof that even someone who can't plant a single thing in her life cannot foul up! ;D I may not have been successful in planting spring onions...but, at least, I can stake claim to having the cutest-looking watering can...which I can now use to water my neighbour's plants (from my sde of the house) when they're away! ^_~

13 comments:

  1. hah..hah..hah.. you are hilarious! I have attempted planting spring onions (a few times) and finally succeeded. I learnt from another blogger that the best way is to use onions that have already sprouted, like in your second attempt. The tricky thing is not to over water them or the bulbs will rot. I always make that mistake (I consulted my dad recently) because I am always afraid they will dry out. At some point you have to replant because the original plant will be exhausted. Ah, your watering can is indeed very cute hee..hee...

    Those caterpillars are very pesky. Very nice of you to remove the little critter (yes, I know you have a vested interest wahahaha!!!) and I have experienced an entire plant devoured within a day. Scary! And annoying! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even the big onion (that already sprouted) when I planted it (grew to only about 2 inches) shrivelled up and died without giving me any spring onions. I was also told not to over water but the bulbs still rotted. I know I have to replant at some point but the spring onions only grew about 5 inches (and stopped) and they were very thin spring onions. When you say you finally succeeded in growing spring onions, were yours fat and long (like the usual plump ones we get from the market)?

      Yeah, I'm just amazed at how a tiny little thing like that can chomp their way through a whole plant (it reminds me of locusts devouring an entire field). They're so cute but yet so deadly...lol! ;D

      Delete
  2. I have tried what you tried too... replanting them in water... hahaha... the only plant I managed to plant and eat them were lady fingers aka okra... successful because my neighbor taught and helped me from step one till the plant could not harvest anymore...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thank you for sharing that I'm not the only who failed at planting spring onions...lol! My neighbour also said she couldn't get her spring onions to grow and she only managed to plant two types of vegetables successfully (other than her pot of kaffir lime leaves that has been around for ages) and failed with rest too. So, not everyone is successful in planting everything. ^_~

      Delete
  3. OMG!! You made me laugh my head off. PH knows why I need a good laugh so badly! 😂 😂 😂 😂

    I am a bit surprised that you had issues growing the spring onions. I remember during our pandemic lockdown, I grew spring onions and they grew so tall and fast but we had no time to finish eating them. Now I suspect it's your soil issues and probably watering style. I sprayed water daily and gave it plenty of indirect sunlight. I really have green fingers and started growing vegetables since I was in primary school! Ahem! Blow trumpet 🎺🎺

    I often heard that caterpillars accompanied special vegetables from China during CNY season. They could survive the shipping containers for days from China to Port Klang. They wore colourful Prada winter jackets like the one in your bok choy! Next time fry them together with bok choy for added nutrients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to be a source of amusement to you (via my blogpost) in your trying times of recovery.

      Yes, I remember your blogpost on growing spring onions (if I remember correctly, you grew it simply in an egg container!). You deserve to blow your own trumpet if you've been growing vegetables since primary school successfully.

      Looks like caterpillars thrive in the cold + they've a Prada jacket to keep them warm...lol. I will fry up the bok choy dish with added nutrients for you? ;)

      Delete
  4. My spring onions were long but not as fat as the ones in the market/supermarket. You have to put fertilizer to make them plump and fat. That's what the farmers do either using organic fertilizer/compost or those commercial fertilizers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that you've finally grown spring onions successfully, it's such a treat to always have spring onions available at any time of the day for your dishes.
      For a spring onion lover like me, I wish I have that too. :'(

      Delete
  5. I had the exact same experience with you, both planted in the water or soil -> some survived and gave me a few harvests then died ...... ~>_<~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, as long as you got some good harvests from them, it's still alright for it to die as it would eventually after the onion bulbs have given out everything (all their nutrients). :P

      Delete
  6. kill all the caterpilarssssssssssssss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness. I just realized this KY is the same person I met up with for lunch in Klang recently!!!

      Delete
    2. Lol, are you on a quest to meet all the bloggers you know online? If this is the same person you met, then he's the writer of a reputable food blog known as kyspeaks...and Klang is his territory indeed. ^_~

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...