Pages

Monday 25 March 2019

#ewew cooks Stir-Fry Pork with Ginger & Scallions

This dish is for ginger fans only! ^_~  I'm one of them, of course, as I love all things ginger...be it pickled ginger on its own (at sushi places), pickled ginger with century eggs, braised chicken with ginger, ginger fried rice, ngau yuk hor (beef koay teow with ginger & spring onions), rice wine chicken with ginger, black vinegar pork trotters lean meat with ginger, ginger paste dip with chicken rice...even teh tarik halia (ginger tea)...hehehe! :D

Putting ginger on steam fish, in porridge or just about any dish, even just a little, makes the dish taste so much better.  That's why ginger, together with garlic and shallots, are like the Holy (Flavour) Trinity of any Chinese cooking.  So, it wouldn't be a surprise to find me using (or cooking with) ginger frequently at home.  And one such dish I cook frequently is this simple Stir-Fry Pork with Ginger & Scallions.

Ingredients:

Lean pork slices (about 200g)
3 inches of ginger, thinly sliced
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 sprigs of green onions (or scallions), cut into 2-inch lengths

For the marinade:
1 tsp light soy
1 tsp cornflour

For the sauce:
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tsp light soy
2 - 3 tbsp water

Preparation:

Try to slice your lean pork as thinly as possible as that will ensure its tenderness when cooked.  A trick I use is, when I take the meat out of the freezer, I don't let it defrost all the way through.  When it's still slightly frozen and firm, it makes the slicing much easier to do.  Marinade the sliced pork with light soy and cornflour (the latter not only tenderises the meat but thickens the sauce as well).

Cut the ginger into thin slices (anything between 30 - 40 slices at least...come, come, don't be shy with the ginger...the more, the merrier).  Finely chop the garlic and cut the spring onions into 2-inch lengths.

Method:

Saute chopped garlic and ginger slices in 1 tbsp of oil for about a minute.

Then add the pork slices.  I like to spread it out evenly in one layer in the pan and try (your darndest) not to move it about for 2 minutes.

This will create a nice sear on the meat (which I like as it adds to the fragrance of the meat).  Do the same on the other side for another minute.  Fry on medium heat.

Next, add the ingredients for the sauce and stir until well combined.  Start with 2 tbsp of water first to gauge if more sauce is needed.

Finally, throw in the spring onions and stir-fry for a few more seconds until the spring onions are slightly wilted.  At this point, add a further tbsp of water (if you like more sauce) and let it thicken and reduce slightly.

The whole cooking process should take about 5 minutes for this simple Stir-Fry Pork with Ginger & Scallions to grace your dinner table.

Now, how quick and easy was that? ;)  A perfect tasty one-dish meal with rice that you can whip up from start to finish (food prep to cooking) in under 10 minutes.

In fact, I also substitute pork with beef and cook Stir-Fry Beef with Ginger & Scallions at home all the time and it tastes just as good.

Another variation of this dish that I love is Stir-Fry Fish Slices with Ginger & Scallions.  But this I don't cook at home lah.  I would order this when I eat out and that's because sang yue (snakehead or haruan) isn't something that's easily available from the market.

So, can you substitute this recipe with chicken, prawns or squid?  I suppose you could but I don't think it'd be nice though...hehe! >_<  I just think it works much better with fish, beef or pork.

If you don't have the luxury of time to get dinner on the table, this dish of Stir-Fry Pork with Ginger & Scallions can be easily whipped up in no time at all.

Serves 1- 2 (with rice)

14 comments:

  1. I can see that you love your ginger! It makes dishes taste so fresh and perky. I love ginger sesame oil chicken and the Stir-Fry Fish Slices with Ginger & Scallions that you mentioned. And also with beef/venison! I have not tried stir frying pork like this so I shall give it a go. I know for sure that it is good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I forgot about the version with venison...yum! Somehow this and the one with beef taste extra tender at the restaurant than home-cooked...and since sang yue is not usually available at the market, that's how I ended up making the uncommon pork version to a certain degree of satisfaction at home :)

      Delete
  2. simple dish yet so homely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm a ginger fan too - i love how it adds such a distinctive, uplifting sweet-sharpness to thai cooking, chinese cooking, malay cooking - add as much ginger as you want for my serving! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now we're talking....we can be 'ginger' pals...hehehe! ^_*

      Delete
  4. Last week I "accidentally" cooked this ginger spring onion pork slices. The ingredients I added were oyster sauce, Korean marinade sauce, mashed ginger (for marinade) and spring onion, didn't know the dish came out tasted like the ginger spring onion pork that I had at he restaurants LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like how you "accidentally" cooked this dish at home. Sometimes the best dishes and recipes are discovered "accidentally"! :D

      Delete
  5. I love to eat this dish and had no idea that it is quite easy to make. This is so appetizing and go well with rice. I will copy the recipe. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome...I see we have another ginger fan here :)

      Delete
  6. You had me at ginger. I really do find it a seductive flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  7. with some porridge i can have this for breakfast pls?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why not? Though I don't know if anyone would be willing to cook that for you for breakfast. :P

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...