Pages

Friday 3 March 2023

Nando's New Pineapple Peri-Peri Flavour @ Aeon Maluri

If we're thinking of having a chicken meal from a restaurant chain, Nando's will usually be the one that comes to mind.  I've always preferred grilled, roasted or baked chicken over deep-fried chicken.  Heck, I've even tried to replicate Nando's chicken leg/wings and chicken tenders at home with their store-bought bottled peri-peri sauces (lemon & herb flavour) to an acceptable level.

I haven't been to Nando's since the pandemic and I guess it's as good a time as any to revisit now since they have a new flavour out that I wanted to try (+ I was told it's really good).  My favourite flavour used to be Lemon & Herb (from their standard flavours) which later got replaced by their Mango & Lime and replaced again by the Smoky Peri-Peri (both flavours were for a limited time only).  I tend to prefer the flavours they put out for a limited period as I'm not a fan of their usual spicy peri-peri sauces.

If you've not guessed the new flavour by now, it's pretty obvious from the little hanging deco at their restaurant with the catchline "Let's get it ONG"....ong as in ong lai (meaning pineapple).  Yes, it's their Pineapple Peri-Peri! ;)  Based on their PERi-ometer, Pineapple Peri-Peri sits between their Lemon & Herb and Mild Peri-Peri in terms of spiciness (which equals to not spicy at all).

The promotional paper stand on the table shows some of their new offerings (probably not new since I've not been to Nando's for quite a while).  They have Portuguese Nata (aka Portuguese tarts), Choc-A-Lot Muffin (as in chocolate muffins) and Sweet Potato Chips.  They even have bottomless coffee and tea now (besides bottomless soft drinks).

We ordered the Sweet Potato Chips with PERinaise @ RM16.90 to share.  When sweet potato chips are available, we'd usually get that since they taste so much better than potatoes or their plain peri-peri chips.

These sweet potato chips were served with a peri-naise sauce (that's similar to mayo-naise mixed with ketchup or Thousand Island sauce).  Although it was a little sweet, I found myself going back for more and kept dunking my sweet potato chips in them.  So yum!

I had the 1/4 Chicken with 1 Side @ RM22.90 with choice of sauce, Pineapple Peri-Peri (of course), and a side of Chargrilled Vegetables.  The pineapple peri-peri sauce was really good with a nice citrusy flavour that's not too sweet and without the sourish flavours of their other sauces.  This is their best flavour yet (and wished there was more of it basted on the chicken).....I absolutely loved it! ^o^  Again, they've outdone themselves with this new flavour that's even better tasting than their mango & lime and smoky peri-peri I had before.

I've got to say the portion of 1/4 chicken remains the same....still smallish but I guess it's more acceptable now since food prices have been on the rise lately + I also don't eat as much as I used to anymore...hah..hah. The chicken leg looked a lot more charred than before with a delicious, smoky flavour coming through while the meat was tender and moist.

The chargrilled vegetables of yellow and green capsicum, broccoli, zucchini, carrot, onions and mushrooms were nicely cooked and lightly charred.  They tasted a lot better than I remember (kudos to the improved cooking).

I'm sure you can guess who ordered the Grilled Chicken Tenders with 2 Sides @ RM21.90 with Mediterranean Rice and Chargrilled Vegetables as his choice of two sides.

Opting for chicken tenders mean you don't have to deal with chicken bones and he had his with the new pineapple peri-peri flavour as well.  The tenders were juicy, not dry.

I may to choose or tend to like a different peri-peri flavour for my chicken but one thing that has remained a constant is the Tropical Fruitea @ RM12.90, my go-to drink each time I eat here.

The tropical medley of mango and lime, infused with orange juice and lemon tea, is highly refreshing and very pleasant to drink...zesty, tangy, not too sweet nor too tart, just right.

My Personal Opinion

Nando's keep coming up with new flavours for a limited period only...and those turn out better tasting than their standard peri-peri flavours in my opinion.  I just wished they would incorporate some of these new flavours into their permanent menu (and kick out all those hot peri-peri sauces which I have no affinity to).

They've outdone themselves with this pineapple peri-peri sauce that definitely deserves a place on their permanent menu.  If not, I'm certainly going to miss this flavour when it's gone.  It's now my new favourite flavour.

Do give this pineapple peri-peri flavour a try before the promotion ends.....if it had not already ended.  It's good. ^.^

Nando's Aeon Taman Maluri
Lot S08 2nd Floor
Aeon Taman Maluri Shopping Centre
Taman Maluri Cheras
55100 Kuala Lumpur

5 comments:

  1. Ah! I had Nando's today! I also chose the pineapple peri peri sauce but sadly there was so little of it basted on the chicken that it barely made an impression. I also don't really like their standard peri peri sauce and I do wish that they would bottle the mango lime and this new pineapple variant. I also had the chargrilled veggies and enjoyed them a lot! So much for being a carnivore hah...hah...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I see you don't like their standard peri-peri sauces too. I also wished there was more of the pineapple peri-peri basted on the chicken. Yeah, if they bottle this pineapple peri-peri, I'm 100% going to buy it so that I can add more on my chicken. So, you enjoyed the chargrilled vegetables too.
      Don't worry, eating a small amount of veggies is not going to make you less of a carnivore...lol! ^_~

      Delete
  2. nando's also my favourite chicken chain but seldom visit since their price increased. This new pineapple flavour definitely something I would like to try because I like pineapple, be it the fruit itself, the juice of fruit that incorporate with the fruit. Hopefully they can put this flavour as their permanent item in their menu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking at the price increase (from my previous posts) of about RM6 since 2017, I think is pretty acceptable lah since our bowl of noodles have also consistently gone up by 50 sen (or more) each year. I love pineapple as a fruit and juice too...and cooked pineapples in a curry, that's why I love this pineapple peri-peri. I guess if more people comment on their social media on how good this flavour is, then perhaps it might find its way to their permanent menu. Fingers crossed! ^.^

      Delete
  3. I'm a fan of their spicier version so perhaps this isn't for me.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...