Pages

Monday 12 April 2021

Spade's Burger @ Sri Petaling

From the north (Penang) to the south (Johor) and stopping in between (Perak & Klang Valley), Spade's Burger has invaded us since 2013.  I don't really have a thing for burgers....and that's because they usually come with cheese and I'm no fan of that.  Of course, I can order them without cheese (if they don't foul up my order) though burger enthusiasts will say they just aren't the same without cheese! :O

The first time we went to try Spade's Burger at their Seri Petaling branch, we were astounded when told that they had run out of buns.  What?  Run out of buns?  How can a burger joint run out of buns?  They said the delivery of their buns had been held back to later in the evening.  We couldn't wait, so we left to look for another venue for dinner.

I ended trying Spade's Burger through delivery (which came from their Seri Petaling branch).  Of course, trying to find a burger without cheese is next to impossible.  I noted only two, Porkception (but it had sauteed pork belly which I'm not a fan of) and Phynix (but I don't fancy white sauce).  So, I made sure I just stayed clear of those that had cheese sauce and sharp cheddar.

I went with Dark Knight @ RM22.14 in a set with fries and drink (RM15.79 a la carte) coz that's one of those that didn't have the words cheese sauce or sharp cheddar in its description.  Spade's burger are known for their pork burgers, no time for chicken or beef burgers here....wuahahahaha!  It comes with a pork patty (there's an option for beef patty too), cheddar (at least not sharp cheddar), cheese crisp, caramelised bacon bits and Spade's sauce.

The pork patty that was well seasoned and juicy with a very good sear was in between some fresh, crisp lettuce and halved cherry tomatoes.  The top side of the burger was filled with the house Spade's sauce that had bacon bits in it.  It was lightly tangy and very tasty.

I left special instructions to omit the cheddar (luckily they did) and cheese crisp but it was a blessing in disguise that they forgot about the crisp cheese as I didn't know I would enjoy it so much.  It doesn't taste cheesy at all but savoury, crisp and very fragrant.  I would definitely not omit this in the future (hey, I even want more)...kekeke! ;P

Someone did mention that the charcoal bun was not fresh, nor soft and fluffy (when she ate it), but luckily, I didn't have that problem with their Seri Petaling branch (maybe that's why they ran out of buns as they ensure their buns are delivered fresh daily).  The ones I had were adequately soft and fluffy, perhaps not as soft as some others but I'll gladly accept that as they hold up very well during delivery.  I've had my share of buns that were too soft and they become soggy after absorbing the sauces to the point of almost disintegrating when you bite into them.  So, I don't mind a slightly denser texture actually as long as the bun is still fresh.

The other burger we ordered (which I didn't taste) was the 300 @ RM22.78 in a set with fries and drink (RM16.43 a la carte) which consisted of 2 x pork katsu, 2 x cheddar, bacon and teriyaki mayo.

You can make it a combo by adding fries, Spade's salad, salted egg fish skin, porkets or fried bacon strips and a soft drink (choice of Coke or Sprite, Minute Maid orange or ice lemon tea).  All the add-ons are also available as sides (in larger portions) with more choices of onion rings or salmon & chips.

The very thick cut fries (as proper fries should be) were crisp on the outside and soft on the inside.  Not only were they thick cut, they were cut from very large potatoes as evidenced by some pieces as long as 6 inches. Ooo, I like them thick and large....that way the potatoes stay fluffy after they've been fried, not shrivelled and dry.

The two Spade dips provided for the fries, one is like a tangy thousand island sauce while the other is on the spicy side.  Both were good though I preferred the tangy one a bit more but because the sauces were in such tiny containers and the fries were so thick and chunky, you'd end up finishing both (maybe not even enough).

Their burgers range from pork to beef, chicken to salmon and mushrooms to veggie.  All the burgers are priced around RM12 - RM20 (for the burger alone) although do note that not all burgers that can be eaten on-site are offered in their delivery menu.  They also have seasonal burgers throughout the year and some come with rather quirky names but what they offer via delivery tend to be limited, in fact you may not even be able to get some of the burgers on their regular menu.

My Personal Opinion

As long as I stay clear of those with cheddar (especially the words sharp or gooey) or cheese sauce, I think I should be alright.  In fact, I'll be more than alright (happy even) if I stick to the ones that come with their Spade's sauce (so good)...and, for once, I don't even mind a cheese crisp (or two) in between! ^_~

Their claim of "not the best, just better" burgers is certainly conservative and non-boastful......and you know what, I have to agree with that.  I foresee there'll be more Spade's burgers delivery in the horizon! ^.^

Spade's Burger
77-1 Jalan Radin Bagus
Sri Petaling
57000 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: 03-9054 4388

8 comments:

  1. I am glad you enjoyed your burger from Spade's Burger. Me too would avoid cheese sauce (I really cannot tahan the smell and taste) and any sharp cheese (can pengsan). But I am OK with regular cheddar. If you like your cheese crispy like that then you should try MyBurgerlab. The cheese in their burgers are done that way, crispy and I love it too. After reading this post, I feel like re-visiting Spade's Burger to see how I feel about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If, by regular cheddar, you mean the same cheese that was in my Burger King post, then I'm not ok with that either. The funny thing is when I googled cheese crisp, I found that some use sharp cheddar, parmesan (probably the most common), mozzarella or even a combination of different cheeses. I know I don't like parmesan either (coz I disliked it immensely when I found them sprinkled on my pasta or salads), so I was rather surprised to find that I enjoyed the cheese crisp as much as I did (not sure what cheese they used though). Perhaps it boils down to the type and quality of cheese used and if it's fresh or processed. I've seen cooking shows using freshy grated/sliced parmesan or parmigiano reggiano and they do look quite different.

      Yes, I hope to try MyBurgerLab one day though someone in my family prefers Spade's burgers and says they're better than MyBurgerLab's! ^_~

      Delete
  2. I just tried Spade's Burger too recently (dined in at Sunway branch) and as a non burger lover, I gave it a stamp of approval. Love the pork patty, it had good flavours and textures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting a stamp of approval from a non-burger lover says a lot about their burgers. I'm looking forward to read your review. You being a cheese lover, I'm sure you must have chosen one with cheese galore! ;)

      Delete
  3. When I browsed this post from my phone last week, I saw the name Spade and its familiar logo. I told my wife that Malaysia's fashion designer Edmund Ser used to operate Spade boutiques across Malaysia to Singapore but have closed down after a long time. I was wondering if they started this burger chain. My wife used to teach home tuition to all the 4 daughters of Edmund Ser for years, so we know them well. I must check it out whether he opened these burger restaurants because he is also a very good chef.

    I would love to try the same Dark Knight like yours. I love pork patty and must add generous smelly cheese!! Yums! Yums! Yums!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm aware of Edmund Ser, the fashion designer, but wasn't aware that his boutiques are known as Spade. Perhaps the name Spade is just a coincidence coz fashion and food seems like chalk and cheese...but, then again, Zang Toi did something similar too once (if I remember correctly)...with a cafe cum clothing retail. P/S: Ah, you can order the Dark Knight like mine but you're the Dark (and Handsome) Knight to your wife...hehehehe! ;D

      Delete
  4. Spades, Burgertory, Burgerlab, anyone of them any day for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I scroll down a bit on your main page, I see Spade's, I click. Actually Porkception is one of my favorite. The abbreviated description is a bit misleading. The correct full description is "crispy deep fried pork belly slices sauted in tangy sauce". They used to have something called Porkception 3, which is the non sauted version, just crispy pork belly, but it got discontinued. That was a bummer for me. When I asked the staff would say no stock and I was like: yeah? Then what are those in Porkception? I'm simply asking you to work less on it and not douse in sauce.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...