Pages

Friday 16 April 2021

Just One Food - Taiwanese Golden Sweet Potato Balls

I've been noticing this new food truck (parked opposite Restoran 9898 in Pandan Indah) for a while now (since the beginning of the year, I think).  Each time I pass by (after tapau-ing food), there always seems to be a queue at this food truck.

I didn't bother to go near to see what they were selling but, from afar, I could see it was some kind of sweet potato balls from the rather visible "Golden Potato" words on the truck.  I thought they were the common sweet potato balls sold at the pasar malam which I've eaten before.  But, one day, when I was still a little hungry after dinner, I decided to get me a little snack when I noticed there was no queue at the sweet potato truck.  Sweet.

Not knowing what they offer actually (as everything on the truck is written in Chinese), I saw they had two different coloured balls, so I asked if I could have a mix.  The food truck operator told me that it's RM5 for a portion of 10 balls.

A first glance of the sweet potato balls whilst walking back to my car, I realised that they were very thin and lightweight, unlike the sweet potato balls I know, and I had to take extra care in transporting these delicate little fragile babies home.  Seeing how they were packed (I was given the 10 balls in a small paper bag with two bamboo skewers), this is a snack that can be eaten on the go.

Only on reaching home that I noticed the words "Taiwan Hand Made" on the packaging, so I'm assuming this is a Taiwanese snack.  Well, I'm guessing that it had to be a snack from either China, Macau, Taiwan or Hong Kong based on all the Chinese wordings on the truck and in the packaging.

I got a mixture 3 orange and 7 purple/orange ones.  At first bite, it was nice and crunchy on the outside and slightly chewy on the inside (soft and warm if you eat it immediately).  What was utterly surprising was to find that the sweet potato ball had a hollow centre! :O

I wasn't expecting it to be only lightly sweet with a natural sweetness from the sweet potato, so I was very pleased indeed. ^.^  Eating them for the first time, they did remind me of our own Chinese crispy fried sesame ball (or what we call jin dui) where the texture is somewhat similar...a nice crisp crust on the outside (minus the sesame seeds) and a chewy texture on the inside (minus the peanut filling).

It had that nice sweet potato flavour though the ones with the mix of purple sweet potato had a slightly more evident sweet potato flavour than the orange-coloured ones.

I don't know how the sweet potato ball can be fried till it forms such a crisp crust but yet hollow on the inside.  It was when I googled and watched videos of how they were made that I found out it was the tapioca starch that gives it the chewy and transparent texture.  And when they're fried in oil, the sweet potato balls are continuously pressed (and flattened) but yet they pop right back up and this ultimately make them expand in size.  It's a real marvel when you witness how it's cooked actually.

I prefer the mixed purple and orange one just a wee bit more for its more pronounced sweet potato flavour but I still enjoyed the orange one tremendously nonetheless.

Although the sweet potato balls may deflate a little if you keep them for later, it still managed to retain some of that nice crisp texture when you bite into it...even after two hours.

If you bump into this snack selling at your neighbourhood pasar malam or from a dedicated food truck.....go get some fast fast!  LOL.  I can guarantee that you won't feel as guilty eating this snack (due to the light sweetness) as you would be if you had indulged in (say) doughnuts, ice cream, cendol or any sweet desserts and pastries for that matter...but I can't guarantee you'll be able to stop at 10! ^o^

8 comments:

  1. I have yet try this although I really tempt to because the one near to me always with long queue whenever I passed by ~>_<~
    Actually I shared the recipe of this sweet potato balls with hollow center in my blog (http://www.choiyen.com/yen-can-cook-sweet-potato-balls/) but mine was not as "hollow" as this. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I revisited that post of yours...congrats for getting a hollow centre even if it's not as hollow. Haha, be patient and wait it out like me (until the crowd subsides), then can go try! ;)

      Delete
  2. Oh! This is interesting. I though that they were dense like cekodok pisang but they are actually hollow. And you are right, 10 won' be enough like that hah..hah... I think there might be a van in my area that sells something like this, I am not sure but I am going to investigate. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've eaten those dense ones you mentioned too...those are actually sweet potato balls (totally filled with sweet potato) sold at pasar malams. These Taiwanese sweet potato balls are different, so make sure you get the right truck! ;D

      Delete
  3. I must say that this post is luring me to drive to the same franchise stall which I have seen at Bandar Sri Damansara many times. The truck looked rather huge and parked at a busy junction for cars to stop, Pick&Go! It is manned by a young couple.

    I didn't expect yours to be hollow and that's a real surprise as I had eaten various sweet potato balls in Taiwan and Japan many times. None were holow. They were really great hot snacks to eat under the cold weather. That's my sweet potato memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps these hollow ones are a recent "invention/twist" on sweet potato balls and weren't around yet when you were in Taiwan & Japan. Similarly, the sweet potato balls I've eaten here weren't hollow either, so I was pleasantly surprised when I bit into them.

      You're probably right that this is some kind of a franchise since the trucks all look the same....so do stop, pick (up some to try) & go...lol!

      Delete
  4. I find them alright, perhaps a bit too much air vs potato, and at RM 5 actually rather expensive. This fade will die. haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, RM5 do sound rather expensive since we're eating mostly air...hah..hah! ;D But that's the whole idea...it makes us feel less guilty indulging in something this light and airy...lol.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...