Pages

Friday 15 May 2020

Just One Food - KFC's Nasi Kari Atuk

KFC may not be among my top choices when it comes to fast food fried chicken but I do eat them from time to time....especially when they have new specials on their menu.

Like the recent Nasi Kari Atuk from their Ramadan menu which was made available from 30 April onwards.  Don't ask me why it's called Nasi Kari Atuk....perhaps Colonel Sanders looks like a grandfather (atuk)?  And they've dressed him in sarong dan songkok sempena Ramadan/Hari Raya...kekeke! ;D

The fried chicken set meals come with the new Kari Atuk and Sambal Atuk.  You have a choice of three different set meals consisting of a 2-pc or 3-pc Nasi Kari Atuk Combo or a Kari Atuk Rice Box.

This is the Nasi Kari Atuk 2-pc Combo @ RM16.30 (a 3-pc combo will set you back RM19.90).  This set comes with 2 pieces of fried chicken (choice of original or hot & spicy), Colonel rice, coleslaw, curry potato sauce & sambal and a drink.

I chose KFC original fried chicken...and got a piece of drumstick and a piece of chicken rib. :P  From my experience, if you don't specify the cut you want, they'll always take advantage of the situation and 'dump' a piece of chicken breast on you (and when you specify no chicken breast, they'll give you a piece of chicken rib which also has breast meat...haiz!).  Let it be known that KFC's chicken is not the juiciest, so imagine if you've gotten a piece of chicken breast! >_< I don't think they should to do that coz it's only a 2-pc chicken. They should only dump those unpopular cuts when people order say 5 pieces of chicken and more, don't you think?  Can't they just give the more favoured parts of drumstick, thigh or wings?  After all, it's only a 2-pc chicken set! >:(

The rice (which looks like chicken rice) is similar to Colonel's rice (that you get when they have their rice sets).  The only difference is that it came wrapped in fake-looking daun pisang (banana leaf) paper! ;P

The coleslaw was the only thing that stood out like a sore thumb as it didn't quite belong in a dish of nasi lemak cum chicken rice but, then again, it's understandable that they include it as it's their only veggie dish + it was already existing in their menu.  When I ate it together, it wasn't all that bad as it offered a relief from the spiciness of the sambal atuk.  Come to think of it, I've had some one plate meals (with rice) that came with coleslaw as the veg component.

One of the new items in the set is their kari atuk, of course.  The thick curry potato sauce with hints of curry spices (but not overwhelming) and santan (coconut milk) was rather nice...but I found only two small chunks of potato in it though (nothing like their promo pic which showed it brimming with potatoes).

The other new item is their sambal atuk, a sambal sauce that was more spicy (but tolerable) than sweet.  Dig in to reveal small pieces of ikan bilis.  It was an ok sambal that paired well with the curry.

Price of RM16.30 is about right since the snack plate combo is around same price.  You may not get the whipped potato but you have the rice instead + the additional curry and sambal.

If you want a bit more variety, you can go for the Kari Atuk Rice Box @ RM19.90 which comes with kari atuk rice bowl, 1-pc chicken (original or spicy), 3 crispy tenders, coleslaw, whipped potato and a drink (oops, they ran out of 'atuk' packaging...kekeke!).

The only new item in this box set is the kari atuk rice bowl which consists of crispy chicken bites (similar to Zinger chunks) doused with kari atuk (this one has a bit more potatoes).  It reminded me of their previous promotion of sambal rice bowl except that one was doused in sambal instead of curry.  Everything else in the box we're already familiar with.

You see what I mean when you don't specify the chicken part you want....even when there's only one piece of chicken in the set, they still dump a chicken rib on me! >_<

I don't specify the chicken cut I want as I don't want to come off as picky but my experience with the KFC store in my neighbourhood tells me otherwise.  Ok, no more Mr Nice Guy from now on....now I specify the cut I want...and I finally got myself a drumstick and thigh! ^o^

Between the two kari atuk meals, the kari atuk rice box is probably the set with more value (and variety too) coz you get extras of chicken tenders, whipped potato and a rice bowl (but just one piece of chicken).

So, if you wish to try the Nasi Kari Atuk or the Kari Atuk Rice Box, you better hurry to the nearest KFC near you coz it probably won't be around once Ramadan is over.

Keep calm (during this conditional MCO) and eat chicken! :D
There's no place like home.  Stay home to stay safe.

15 comments:

  1. I have fallen out of love with KFC. It does not taste as good anymore, to me lah. Maybe it is me whose tastebuds have changed.

    But this KFC nasi kari atuk looks interesting, I might try just for fun. I have a Malay uncle (married to my mum's elder sister and he bears a resemblance to Col Sanders due to his janggut) and when his grandson was a toddler, the boy would call out "atuk! atuk!" whenever his parents took him to KFC hah..hah... so I reckon "atuk" refers to Colonel Sanders.

    Having coleslaw with this combo is not so strange for me because my mum has always served coleslaw with curries or any spicy dishes. You are right about chicken parts at fast food places. Must always specify or else you will be "enjoying" chicken breast. I always kena at Nando's because I tend to forget to tell them. I happen to have a RM5 KFC voucher and I will need to sweet talk my lahling to tapau the nasi kari atuk for me. hah..hah...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oic, it's the 'janggut' huh? So, they came up with the right name then...haha! ;D Your aunty must be very good at making rendangs & curries. My elder sister (married to my Malay brother-in-law) cooks a mean beef rendang and chicken curry which I enjoy eating very much coz it's Malay-style. ^_~

      Since you don't eat KFC, this is a good time as any to use up your RM5 voucher since there's curry and sambal involved...hee..hee! ;) I thought I was being nice by not specifying but seeing how often I get 'shortchanged', no more Mr Nice Guy! Don't understand why they need to do that when I'm only ordering a 2-pc combo. Yeah, at Nando's, if you don't specify you want the chicken leg, they will 'dump' the wing part attached to the breast on you...haiz! :(

      Delete
    2. Oh I see that you have a Malay family member too! My aunty unfortunately is a tomboy (hah..hah..) and she is not into cooking but she can cook. I have eaten her cooking (her son came into the kitchen and asked "what is that???" because her chicken was looking all messed up hah..hah..) and it tasted good even though may not look so presentable hee..hee...

      Delete
    3. My sis was already a good cook of Chinese food to begin with...she learned from my mom (I didn't...hee..hee!). And she must have honed her Malay cooking skills from her dearly departed mother-in-law. Now she has the best of both worlds...she can whip up mean dishes of both Chinese & Malay-style food. ^_~

      Delete
  2. i've been meaning to try this (but i no longer trust foodpanda to be prompt about it, and kfc is only on panda)! :) i'm consoling myself tho by telling myself it's only curry chicken and that plenty of places serve curry chicken but i never order it anyway, heh. guess there's the extra allure when it comes from a brand that doesn't usually have curry chicken ;) i empathise with the chicken-parts dilemma - i also would much prefer thigh and drumstick - but i figure, most of their orders are probably for two- and three-piece platters, so if they give thighs for all of those, there might be no more thighs left for the larger orders. the safest way to ensure a thigh is to order a five-piece platter! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I wasn't aware that kfc is only on foodpanda. Well, I'm sure there's a kfc in your neighbourhood, so you need to go get it yourself...haha! ;D I can understand if I get some chicken breast or ribs in a 5-pc platter but not in a 2-pc...ish!

      Delete
  3. ah...so coincidence...I just blogged about nasi kari atuk too, but not that elaborative as yours...hehe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I read that blog post of yours....and you 'minta' and got two pieces of chicken thigh...so jealous lah! :D

      Delete
  4. drumstick & thighs all the way pls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yessss...coz they're the juiciest parts! ;)

      Delete
  5. I am just like PH who fell out of love with KFC. It is due to the outlet in my area that don't seem to have good QC as many times I saw oil dripping out of my fried chicken! Looked like their chicken had a shower. LOL

    I am game to try this Nasi Kari Atuk Rice Box as I love Malay curries. My wife is still a hardcore fan of KFC like a school girl. I will go over to find KC outlets in other areas as I believe it would taste better.


    Thanks for sharing this post with so much details to lure me! Hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My apologies for luring you to something unhealthy. The one in my area also isn't da best (there are better ones elsewhere) but also not to the point of (like yours) dripping in oil though...yikes! >_<

      Delete
    2. Someone just pointed out to me that once they have the drive-through services, one can expect half cooked or half perfect servings as they have to hurry up to feed the long queue of cars. This really makes sense to me now. The one in my area is drive through outlet. The most terrible outlet is the drive-through at Kuchai Lama. I will go to One Utama next time as I remembered enjoying the fried chicken there. Haha

      Delete
  6. I never try any new item that KFC introduced from time to time and I'm the loyal follower of their original fried chicken. Whenever I had KFC, my must-order are original fried chicken and cheezy wedges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see you like the original flavour too (like me) when it comes to kfc (though most people I know prefer hot & spicy)...but no cheesy wedges for me though...haha! ;D

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...