Pages

Thursday 7 May 2020

Buy Some, Cook Some During an Extended MCO

I was taken by surprise by our PM's announcement of the easing of the Movement Control Order (MCO) to a conditional MCO (CMCO) with almost all business activities being allowed to open from May 4.  I'm just wondering if it's the right decision to ease the restrictions so soon as we certainly don't want to follow in the footsteps of the countries which did that resulted in a new wave of Covid-19 cases.

Since the MCO extension to May 12 had already been announced (and accepted) by the public, why not carry on until that date since the MCO was still in place.  The decision seems hasty to me as, after all, we have waited so long, we can certainly wait another week, right?

When I asked some of the eateries (where I'm a regular) if they would be entertaining dine-in customers (when they were allowed under the CMCO but before some State governments decided against it), some say they won't...at least not immediately.  They'll adopt a wait-and-see approach first.  Although restaurants do want to get back to business as usual, the owners are also fearful for the safety of their workers and customers.  I share the same sentiment as it's questionable if the public would (and could) comply with social distancing measures when they're in restaurants (or any other public places for that matter).  Moreover, most coffee shops are small and cramped with tables to maximise space, so the ability to space out tables might prove to be a challenge.

Although I miss dining out, I'm more concerned about safety for now, so I don't mind missing it for a little longer.  I was glad that some States (my State included) decided not to enforce the CMCO announced by the federal government.

So, whether it's the MCO (or the CMCO) and its numerous extensions, it means we have to continue to duduk diam-diam di rumah whereever possible...and eat in a lot more.

During the initial lockdown, it was cook every day...and every dish (for dinner).  But as time went on (and because of the numerous extensions), I found myself cooking even simpler dishes (canned goods to the rescue)! ;P

Since the third extension of the MCO, some of us were already beginning to get tired of cooking or sick of our own cooking besides running out of ideas of what to cook.  I'm one of the some...not a fantastic cook to begin with, an average cook at best, who has a limited repertoire of dishes and who chooses to cook simple dishes.

So, what now?  The best way forward is to find a happy middle ground....and, for me, that is the buy some, cook some concept! ;)  That way my family gets to eat something different, something I can't cook, something tastier (with shop-bought food)...and I can have a bit of a breather from cooking.  I don't know how our moms did it back in the day...cooking every meal, every day!  It certainly make us appreciate our moms' tireless efforts more now thinking back.

I buy most of my dinner dishes from a Chinese chap fan stall in a neighbouring housing area (that's because the few that open in my area aren't that good) and sometimes from a Malay mixed rice shop from my area (but that was before the fasting month when there was no crowd).  When it comes to noodles and roasted meat rice, there are plenty of options but, for some reason, most chap fan stalls chose to not open.  The reason I hear from other hawkers is that it's cumbersome and time consuming to buy vegetables (and meat) because of the crowd and the need to queue at supermarkets and wet markets.

Here are just some of my extended MCO-type meals, the lazy kind.

Buy some (fried nam yue chicken, pork curry, fish & chicken nugget) & cook some (stir-fry choy sum, omelette & salted egg)

Buy some (chicken curry, fried ikan bilis with potatoes, begedil & some kind of meat patty) & cook some (stir-fry baby bok choy & salted egg)


Buy some (marmite pork & cha choy minced pork) & cook some (pork ribs + braised peanuts & omelette)


Buy some (yong tau foo of fried beancurd sheet, fried sui kow & eggplant) & cook some (minced pork with potatoes + beancurd puffs & stir-fry Chinese lettuce)

And then, as the MCO days progressed, I started getting lazier cooking became a tiresome 'job'...so the "buy more, cook less" option seemed more suitable.


Buy more (sweet & sour pork, chicken curry & brinjal, long beans + carrot with minced pork) & cook less (fried eggs)

Buy more (fried nam yue chicken, fried fish, some fried stuff & loh hon chai) & cook less (fried eggs)

And as the lockdown days increased even further, it began to look more like a "buy all, cook none" kind of scenario.


Buy all (chicken curry, fried nam yue pork, fried ikan bilis with onions + chillies & mui choy minced pork) & cook none


Buy all (chicken curry with fried tofu, kobis masak lemak, begedil, some kind of corn fritter & ikan bilis with potatoes) & cook none (even the salted egg was bought...lol)! O_o

As the food operators adapt their business models by changing the menus (to more affordable meals), making an online presence, allowing for take-aways and deliveries, we, as homecooks, need to adapt too, right?  So, this buy some, cook some principle can also be applied to a single dish.


Like my Pork Ribs Pepper Soup with Pork Meatballs.  I just need to boil some pork ribs with lightly crushed whole white peppercorns (in my trusted slow cooker) and add in store-bought pork meatballs (at the end when the soup is almost done).


It makes for a delicious meat cum soup dish.  I was very pleased with the texture and taste of these store-bought pork meatballs (which come in two varieties, plain or with spring onions, RM11 for a box of 15).


If not for the MCO, I wouldn't have tried out these meatballs which I've since bought a couple more times (bought some for a sister-in-law of mine too)...and used them in other ways.  Great as an addition to any soup noodles (even instant noodles). ^_~


Or a Chicken/Pork/Vegetable Curry.  Since I'm too lazy + I had never cooked a curry from scratch, I'd rather buy ready-made chicken or pork curry and add stuff I like more than the protein itself such as potatoes, tofu puffs and even vegetables (there are never ever enough potatoes since most of them get picked out by customers).  Just have to scoop more curry sauce when I tapau...don't worry, the two places I tapau the curry from, they cook it with a lot of sauce, otherwise I wouldn't be so inconsiderate as to 'drain' the dish of its curry! :P


You can also do that with Stewed Chicken Feet with Dried Mushrooms.  Most chap fan stalls make this without Chinese dried mushrooms as they're considered expensive.  So, buy the stewed chicken feet (with sauce) and add in your own black mushrooms to stew.


Or how about Pork Ribs with Braised Peanuts?  Just braise the pork ribs in a soy sauce concoction till tender and add in a can of braised peanuts right at the end.  This turned out better than I expected.

So, what kind of meals will you be cooking from now on?  These simple suggestions of buy some, cook some kind of dishes are super easy to put together to relieve some cooking stress that you may be experiencing.  Whether you choose a buy some, cook some or buy more, cook less or buy all, cook none concept, you have to find your happy medium. ^_~

With the MCO possibly coming to an end on May 12 and perhaps an extended period of CMCO, it's foreseeable that many will still continue to cook at home.  Even with the relaxation of restrictions and allowing for dine-in in restaurants, some of us won't be confident enough to do so...at least not for a while until we're convinced that social distancing measures are safely in place.

We need to display the highest level of social discipline and social responsibility if we're to beat this thing and come out on top.  We need to practise a new normal way of life.

So, continue to stay home to stay safe.
Practise social distancing and sanitise your hands frequently if you need to be out.

12 comments:

  1. i see a lot of home-kitchen resourcefulness in these photos! and many of your meals actually look a lot tastier and more satisfying than my sometimes-disastrous delivery pastas ;) i guess it's impossible for restaurants to expect their revenues to return to pre-MCO times this month - but hopefully june will be a clear improvement over may!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe each month will see an improvement over the last although it'll take quite a few more months for revenues to return to pre-MCO times I reckon. I would have thought that pasta is a good dish for delivery as it 'travels' well if the sauce is packed separately. I've had enjoyable ones via delivery :)

      Delete
  2. I am also against the decision on easing the Movement Control Order (MCO) to a conditional MCO (CMCO). It came as a shock to me but my wife supported it as she thinks the public should come out in order to be detected on as the Covid carriers. This virus is like playing hide and seek. Besides that too many people are jobless and businesses are going bankrupt. Now the banks are seeing some daily active transactions again which will help to prevent our country from going bankrupt.

    I kept asking my wife everyday whether she is tired of cooking. She said No as long as I finished eating them all! LOLOL I would always offer to tapao and stop her from cooking when I knew that she would be busy with her Zoom meetings and live streaming interviews on her FB videos.

    What you have cooked are delicious enough for me! As long as there are salted duck eggs, luncheon meat and egg dishes, I am a happy boy. The Chef Agnes Chang told us that most of the ready-mix curry pastes sold in the market have been perfected like how our mothers cooked. We just need to add curry leaves or potatoes, tomatoes and pineapples if we prefer to enhance the curry chicken. She strongly discouraged my wife from cooking those curries from scratch as time has changed. The next time if I can meet her again, I will blog about her to share some cooking tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I was not in favour of the CMCO coming so soon (those of us who have financial stability would certainly want the MCO to continue), I can also understand that it was a case of being caught between the devil and the deep blue sea (saving lives vs livelihoods).

      Your wife is a "wonder woman", she's very good at multitasking...and keeping you well fed. But you should still order delivery or tapao occasionally just to give her some days off like the weekends.

      It's very easy to keep you satisfied with your simple tastes of salted eggs, luncheon meat and egg dishes as these are some of the easiest dishes to whip up. I'm all for ready-mix curry pastes too for making curries too. Ah, you rub shoulders with Agnes Chang...oh yes, please do blog about her and share with us some of her valuable cooking tips. ^_~

      Delete
  3. I actually not agree on the government decision on the CMCO but I know it's because of the economical factor, what to do, right? Haiz.....
    I will still remain my MCO practise which avoid to go out except working and grocery shopping, choose to cook, food delivery or takeaway for my daily meals. I actually posted most of my meals in Instagram which I guess you're not following(?), and I think I should compile all the photos and do a blog post, should I?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, I don't have the time nor energy to have a presence in other social media platforms except for this blog...hee..hee! ;) Yeah, please do...a compilation of the food you cooked in a blog post, I'd love to see. ^_~

      It's a difficult situation for all...do we want to save lives or save livelihoods? Haiz.... All of us should still continue with our MCO practices though to safeguard ourselves...even when the MCO is lifted..at least for a while longer.

      Delete
  4. It will take some time before most of us will go back to dining in. The SOP for dining in is not practicable and that is why restaurants prefer to stick to takeaways. Although I think the CMCO is too soon, on the other hand I feel relieved that I can get back to work. It is unbearable economically to remain closed for so long. It is quite likely that the CMCO will be extended to keep certain things under control like prohibition of inter-state travel. Or else there would be a mad balik kampung rush.

    Your buy some cook some combo is very practical. My mum was doing that at one time since she was just cooking for dad and herself. She tapau the proteins and fry vegetables at home. Makes for lighter work. How I wish I had a chap fan shop nearby by house! hee..hee...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I do that too...I usually tapau the proteins coz they're more time consuming (and the hardest) to cook and do my own vegetables and egg dishes. I'm very surprised to hear you don't have a chap fan shop near your house...I would have thought that every housing area would have at least a few chap fan stalls.

      I'm sure the CMCO will continue for much longer and I welcome that. Hopefully, the general public will still be diligent enough to adhere to the usual practices post MCO.

      Delete
  5. You cook some really lovely homey food for sure!
    I too have been working a lot out of the kitchen, don't mind the prep and cooking, cleaning also ok, but mopping floors tho.. -_-\
    Hope things go back to normal soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, that's what all of us are hoping for. You mean I bought some homey food?...wahahahaha! ;D I don't mind the prep and cooking but don't like the cleaning or the mopping! :D

      Delete
  6. The chap fan stalls in my neighborhood are lousy & expensive so we seldom buy dishes from there unless no food at home. Ur meals are very tempting with 4 to 5 dishes! I don't do the cooking but i m the dishwasher and also in charge of mopping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo, you've got the two 'jobs' I dislike the most. I'm lucky that there's an affordably priced chap fan stall in a neighbouring housing area where I can get decent 3 dishes for around RM15-20 only.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...