Pages

Monday 9 July 2018

#ewew cooks Stir-Fry Organic Baby Pea Sprouts

We should include in our diet leafy green vegetables as much as possible since they're low in calories and very nutritious, and pea sprouts (or pea shoots) are just one of such vegetable.  

One may find stir-fry "dou miao" or "tau miu" (in Cantonese) on the menu of some Chinese restaurants and "dai chow" places.  I don't usually order stir-fry pea shoots when eating out because of the price.  It's not that it's expensive per se but because they wilt down easily, the resulting portion can be very little in relation to its price.  So, one way for me to enjoy this vegetable is to cook it myself at home.

So, when I spotted these Organic Baby Pea Sprouts at the supermarket recently, I got some immediately. Although they don't seem all that expensive at RM3.50 a box, one can easily eat 2 - 3 boxes (if one really wanted to) since they tend to loose like more than half its volume when cooked.

To make this, all you need are just three ingredients:

1 box of organic baby pea sprouts (150g), washed & drained
1 large clove of garlic, minced
3 cloves garlic, sliced and fried (optional)
1/2 tbsp Shao Hsing wine
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp oil

Though this stir-fry dish looks simple enough, it may not seem that simple to execute as it's very easy to overcook.  Since the stir-fry is over in a flash, it's very important that you have all the ingredients just next to you when you begin the frying process.

To start, it's key that you need high heat for this stir-fry to work.  And through my own experience, it doesn't necessarily work by getting your pan hot with oil before adding the chopped garlic as the garlic will burn as soon as it hits the pan even before you can add your vegetable.

So, what I do is I put in the oil with minced garlic and salt to taste into a cold pan or wok...and then turn on the heat to high.  That way, as soon as the pan gets hot and the garlic heats up simultaneously, you can throw in the pea shoots immediately.

Drizzle in the Shao Hsing wine and flash-fry the pea sprouts on high heat for just 1 minute....that's all it takes!  It's that fast, blink...and it's all over! ;P  If you're using a small pan, I'd suggest you cook them in batches (if you're cooking a large quantitiy) since they only need a minute to be done.

Once the leaves wilt down and the stems are just crisp-tender, they're done already.  You'd want to retain that crunchiness in the shoots and they should still be bright green, not yellowish.

You can add a bit of water (or stock) if you like a plate of more tenderly cooked pea shoots.  I didn't need to as I added Chinese wine + I prefer the shoots to be a little crunchy.

You can serve it topped with some garlic crisps (clearly optional, of course, and clearly understandable if you don't want to bother with an extra step).

The stir-fry pea shoots shouldn't be woody or have that green grass taste if cooked right.

As you can see, the sauteed pea sprouts shrink drastically when wilted down that it was good only as a small 'snack' for me....hehehe! ^_~  If you intend to cook this as your vegetable dish on your dinner table, you will need to buy at least 1 - 2 packs per person (and that's why I say it's expensive).

The sweet, delicate flavour of the shoots is the star of this incredibly fast to cook Stir-Fry Organic Baby Pea Sprouts.  It's such a healthy and delicious dish, there's no reason not to cook this super simple vegetable stir-fry at home! ^o^

12 comments:

  1. I love this vegetables. Honestly I could count that I have eaten less than 10 times all my life. I will ask my Chef Wife to buy them and follow your recipe. I enjoy eating this as the texture is little crunchy and tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aiyo, I'm sure your chef wife can do just a good job without the need to follow my recipe! ^_~

      Delete
  2. I love these pea sprouts too with lots of garlic. Yup, they look like a lot before cooking and then they shrink. Oh, I like that cute little pink cat gazing at your delicious plate of greens. Is that Cookie's toy? Or yours? hee...hee...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither...it's a keychain! ;) About that pink kitty, there's a story behind it. I was eating at Aeon's food court (after my grocery shopping) when I noticed a young, beautiful girl going from table to table to sell something but there were no buyers. I didn't know what she was selling until she approached my table. That was when I saw her holding a sign saying that she's deaf and dumb. I can't remember how much the keychain cost, I think it was RM10 or RM20, something like that. Of course, I bought from her. I can't believe some people can be so cold-hearted and not offer to 'help' her in a small way! Maybe they thought she was out to con them (you know the bad reputation heaved on some of these people asking for handouts lately) but, you know what, if they are indeed out to con us, so be it. At least my conscience is clear that I've helped her genuinely.

      Delete
    2. That's very kind of you and you got yourself a really cute pink kitty :) I admit that I am weary of such people, so, guilty as charged.

      Delete
    3. I'm selective as to who I'm charitable to. If they're just asking for free handouts, I won't entertain...especially if I see they have no disabilities. If they still have hands and legs, I don't see why they can't work to get some income.

      Delete
  3. i do like baby pea sprouts very much, and i'd happily have a whole plate of your recipe. coincidentally, i had a foodpanda order from canton kitchen today, and i wanted to try their own-cultivated greens, so i ordered the tian qi leaves, which i really liked. they were really tender and had a pleasant flavour - i assume those leaves could also be found at other places, and maybe it's a veggie you could consider doing a recipe with :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I don't think I've eaten tian qi leaves before...and if my thoughts on this vegetable is correct, then I don't think I'd like it very much as it has a medicinal and herbal taste to it. >_<

      Delete
  4. Simple and lovely, I just did the same thing a few days back actually but didn't manage to arrange the garlic's' like you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, the garlic arrangement is solely for the purposes of the blog...to make it more presentable! ;P

      Delete
  5. I seldom buy this because the result always not so satisfying with "green grass" taste >_<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That means you didn't cook it right (not at its optimum high heat)....kekeke! :D Try adding a bit of water or stock and let it simmer covered for a little longer. That will give rise to more tender shoots and get rid of that green taste you mentioned.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...