Pages

Monday 18 May 2015

Bxie Blonde @ Publika

Ting!....it's Round 2......

After Round 1 at Yellow Brick Road, my friends and I proceeded to our next destination, Bxie Blonde @ Publika for more chit-chat but without the guilt of hogging the table for too long (although I must clarify that Yellow Brick Road didn't, in any way, make us feel that we were occupying our seats for too long, we just felt guilty ourselves).

Bxie Blonde is on the list of Top 10 Hipster Cafes in the Klang Valley by TallyPress and is usually frequented by the hip-and-young crowd.  One of my friends heard about this place and wanted to try, so we agreed. 

Once you get to The Square, you'll be greeted with something that looks like a two-level shipping container.  You can choose to sit on the lower level (or at the counter) or climb up the steps to both an indoor and alfresco section upstairs.

Once upstairs, you'll see this huge yellow sculpture with wings which is probably the most unique thing of the café and, I'm sure, the most photographed as well!

As it was around 1.30pm when we arrived, it was very hot with the sun beating down on us.  This place is not air-conditioned and all they have are air coolers.  Since the air cooler on the lower level was out, we had no choice but to sit upstairs (indoor).  As we were the only customers at that time, we thought it should be alright as we can have the air cooler all to ourselves. 

Sitting outside in the alfresco section upstairs is probably the best option if you're here on a cool and breezy evening.

Because of the heat, all of us went with an order of iced coffee.  I asked the barista/server/cashier and (actually) the one and only guy there what's good and he said it's their flavoured coffees....so, flavoured coffee it is.

Iced Mocha @ RM15
(sorry, my friend was too thirsty and took a sip)
 
This was the Iced Coconut Flavoured Latte @ RM15 that tasted weird to me.  I once had a Blueberry Latte that tasted funky as well.  Somehow, fruit-based coffees just don't seem to go well together.  As for the pic, my other friend was even more thirsty and took two sips...it was, after all, a very hot afternoon!
 
Iced Hazelnut Flavoured Latte @ RM15
(I guess I had the strongest willpower coz mine was the only one still intact when I took the shot)

Even the yellow sculpture is chilling with an iced coffee ;D  Unfortunately, the drinks weren't very good.  The mocha was probably passable but the coffees were pretty one-dimensional.....sweet!  In fact, overly sweet! :'( 

But, at least, we had a good time talking and taking pictures since we were all alone upstairs...kekeke! :D  We now realised why....it's too darn hot and humid to come here in the afternoons!  Our bodies were literarily stuck to the air cooler! XD  Luckily for us, it started to rain to give us some respite.

My Personal Opinion

I think this café bar is just a photography-worthy place offering a trendy and unique atmosphere to enjoy your drinks and food in a shipping container.  It seems like a great hangout spot during the cool evenings if you can get past their not-so-good coffees (maybe their alcoholic drinks fare better).

They do offer light snacks, sandwiches, pastas and dessert on their menu but I've no comments on the food since I didn't try any but I did read in some blogs that it's pricey and the portions are small (even the coffees seems to be priced on the higher side).

I think once the quirky/cool factor wears off, so will your enthusiasm to revisit.  For me, once was enough but, if you've not been here before, come just once for the unique ambience...but please come during the night time when it's way cooler!

Bxie Blonde
Publika Square
Jalan Dutamas 1
50480 Kuala Lumpur
 

18 comments:

  1. Have not been there long time since moved .

    Must go and check it out someday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moved? From where? I thought they started here.

      Delete
  2. I can't imagine going alfresco in our humid and uncomfortable tropical heat even with the giant fans, definitely not in the BB area with all the cars and the fumes. This does not look like some place with heavy traffic so I guess it isn't too bad.

    I prefer non-aircon places that are well-ventilated with lots of fans actually, indoors - same with the coffee shops - some are so hot and stuffy, I would feel like I am being steamed and cooked when eating in one of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is inside Publika Square, so there isn't much traffic. Felt like being steamed? Think of it as free sauna! Wakakaka!!

      Delete
  3. hmmm...I don't think I want to go just for the quirky ambiance. Your experience is enough for me hee..hee...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you got to experience it.....through me! Kekekeke!! ;D

      Delete
  4. Pretty cool concept and probably a nice place to hangout :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably is.......but only at night....cool nights! ;)

      Delete
  5. I have been to Publika a few times but have never seen this cafe. Must search for it the next time I go there, just to look see look see but not eat there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, go have a look see! When we were up in the container, I saw some people walking by and snapping photos....not of us but of the container, we just happen to be in it! :'(

      Delete
  6. i salute you for sitting outside on a hot afternoon! i'd need a nice tall cold cocktail to help me cool down :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We weren't actually sitting outside...we sat inside but got the whole upstairs to ourselves. It was either that or sitting downstairs with a broken down air cooler! :(

      Delete
  7. If I am running a restaurant, I would definitely use whatever subtle means possible to ensure my customers do not hog on the tables longer than necessary. The only restaurants that make good money are restaurants that do multiple seatings per table per meal time.

    These kind of photogenic cafes, nice to see, not nice to own. Like you said, once the novelty wears off, then they will be in trouble...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't need to hog the table....we were the only customers! When you say subtle means, I really hope it's subtle coz if the customers feel it, they wouldn't like it at all and it will be all over facebook. Then again, most customers are civil and responsible, so I don't think they will hog the tables for too long.

      Delete
  8. Yeah, I know what you mean...it's too saturated, the cafe scene in KL. I've seen quick turnovers in Publika and Pavilion for F&B outlets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, unless your food and coffees stand out, you won't last very long in these 'high traffic' malls.

      Delete
  9. Does look very warm up there - I think I'd order an iced coffee too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was very hot indeed....you may need more than one iced coffee! ;)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...