Pages

Monday 6 December 2021

Little Boy Wonton Noodles @ Pandan Indah

This Little Boy Wonton Noodles @ Pandan Indah was an accidental find to begin with.  This stall is located in the same coffee shop (Restoran Xin Fu Ji) which houses what I consider the best char siew rice in Pandan Indah (I like to call it Fajar char siew fan because of its location near Fajar Supermarket previously, now it's The Store).

I first noticed the wantan mee stall (operated by a father and son team I think) when I was patronising the soy dessert stall next to it (check out the latest update on this at the end of this post).  Each time I was there to get lunch from either the Fu Ji Chicken Rice stall or to satisfy my want for something cold from Soy Desserts by Soy Bar), I'd be standing near the stall but always looking only.  You see, I already have my go-to wantan mee stall here in Pandan Indah, so I'm not aggressively looking for another...lol.

But one day, I saw them frying crispy wontons fresh on the spot and they looked mighty fine, so I went with an order of Deep-Fried Wonton Noodles @ RM7.

The dry wonton noodles came with 7 freshly fried wontons (yes, you heard right, tujuh...seven!!).  I was shocked but dancing with joy (in my mind only lah) that they gave seven...and, mind you, they weren't those mini wontons you get at other wantan mee stalls, these were good-sized ones. ^o^

When I ordered it via ShopeeFood, I thought I got less wontons but thought I miscalculated.  Only after having it a few more times, I realised there was no miscalculation (first it was one less....then two)! ;P  But there's no reason to complain simply because the stall didn't up the price like other eateries did.

The next round I tried the BBQ Pork (or Char Siew) Wonton Noodles @ RM7 coz this is wantan mee after all and you can't say you've had their wantan mee if you had not tried their char siew (the reddish kind that's usually used by most wantan mee stalls, not the highly caramelised ones like those you get at roasted meat stalls).  Unfortunately, the char siew was all lean (not that I mind), so it lost a bit of that tenderness + it was also cut too thickly (char siew that's on the lean side should be cut thinly for a more tender bite).

As good as the deep-fried wonton noodles was, the Deep-Fried Prawn Dumpling (or Siu Kow) Noodles @ RM7 was right up there too.  The serving comes with 3 plump-sized fried prawn dumpling filled with minced pork and chopped prawns together with diced sengkuang (sweet turnip) and shredded wood-ear fungus for that well sought-after crunchy texture. ^.^

However, don't be too happy coz the 3 dumplings (through tapau) was reduced to only two when I ordered via ShopeeFood.  I've to admit I was a bit disappointed at first to see only two pieces of fried dumpling but then there's no cause for complaint really since the stall maintained the same in-store price.

The difference between the fried wonton and the fried dumpling is the addition of prawns for the latter.  So, if you're one who likes a meaty dumpling with prawns, then the fried prawn dumpling noodles should be your pick but if you prefer a crispier bite, you're more likely to get that from the fried wontons.

The next option that I tried was their Braised Chicken Feet with Mushroom Noodles @ RM7.  Their braised chicken feet is the type that has been fried first before it was braised.  I actually prefer those chicken feet that's just braised only (without being deep-fried) a tad more but would still enjoy both versions since I like to eat chicken feet (but sparingly).

Though the braised chicken feet was decent as it was braised till tender, it wasn't outstanding enough in terms of the flavour of the braise compared to some of the better ones I've eaten, so this was my least favourite offering of theirs.

Finally, there's the Roasted Pork (or Siu Yuk) Wonton Noodles @ RM7 but this is not available every day but certainly during the weekends according to the stall owner (on other days, he'll make it if he has the time).

As you can see, the siu yuk is very lean (just like the char siew), so if you like your meat lean, then this one is it.  I certainly don't mind but the meat will not be as tender and luscious as those with more fat, of course. The siu yuk skin is still crunchy but a little hard.

I like the texture of the noodles too, cooked just right, even if the sauce isn't quite there yet (but I've noticed some improvement and it's growing on me).  I appreciate the addition of pork lard (and pork lard oil) in their noodles as it makes everything tastes better.  And if you're lucky, you get as many as 5 good-sized pieces of fried pork lard....and theirs is always fresh, always crispy, always fragrant! ^.^

Even though I got less fried wontons or dumplings, I would still order this wantan mee through ShopeeFood whenever I feel like having it since I can make use of the RM2 discount (where else can you get a plate of wantan noodles for only RM5 these days!) + it sure beats the heck out of having to drive there myself.

Latest Update: After seeing them not available on ShopeeFood for a few days, I finally ventured out to tapau and found out that they're off ShopeeFood for a while as they wanted to increase prices.  As I expected all along, the stall owner was a bit inexperienced (with food delivery) and made a mistake of not adding on the commission charged by food delivery platforms to their prices (that's why they were such a great deal).  Oh well, "the good times" had to come to an end some time...and it's back to tapau-ing!  ShopeeFood told them they'll have to wait till February next year before they can increase prices, so they'll have to 'disapppear' for a while! :P

Sad Update: Soy Desserts by Soy Bar has upped and left! T_T  In its place is another soy dessert stall called Soykid (I noticed the difference when I wanted to tapau...but didn't in the end).  The stall was mumbling away something in Chinese (which I could not understand clearly) that they're still the same (or something to that effect).  But how can you be the same if your name is no longer the same (from Soybar to Soykid)...why would you want to change your name?  Luckily, I like the chilled bean curd the most, so I can still order that online).

My go-to wantan mee in my neighbourhood is the one from Restoran Lucky 6 and I've never felt the need to look for another one but now that I've stumbled upon good fried wontons and dumplings, I have another avenue for wantan mee from Restoran Xin Fu Ji.

The soup version though still belongs to the one from Restoran Lucky 6 for me based on the taste of the soup.....and they can come with add-on fried wantans too.

My Personal Opinion

This is now my favourite wonton noodle (dry version only) in my neighbourhood...but only when it comes with fried wontons (so big and so many!) or fried prawn dumplings (so filled with liew!).....so good! ^_~

Little Boy Wonton Noodles
Restoran Xin Fu Ji
35G Jalan Pandan Indah 1/23B
Pandan Indah
55100 Kuala Lumpur

10 comments:

  1. What a selection, and so many wantan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those fried wonton definitely in very good size, those I got from the wonton mee stalls at my neighbourhood are like "cucu" of yours, so tiny. >_<
    The first thing I noticed in your second photo (bowl of wonton mee) was the small bits of zhu yao zha, hehe :P
    Actually I like my dry wonton a bit darker because in my thought, the darker the more flavours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, the pork lard oil and crispy pork lard do make a difference in the flavours. Actually, most stalls will give you "cucu"-sized wontons...these were the biggest sized ones I've had with wantan mee.

      Delete
  3. I have yet to eat wanton mee that is served with fried wanton. On my area, my only go to is Annie 1's wanton mee which I always enjoy. There is a Big Big Wanton nearby which I have been meaning to try. Let me check if they serve fried wanton hee..hee..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I no need to go to Big Big Wanton and already got big-sized wontons...hehehe! ^_~

      Delete
  4. 7 wantons is a good deal. Love fried wantons too, although I prefer to have them on the side as a snack. Not a fan of having them on the noodles. I'm also a fan of having those roasted meat type char siew for my wanton noodles. So this one probably not for me. The fried wantons look great though. Maybe they'll let me buy just fried wantons, I wonder?
    Actually, I kinda despise and refuse to acknowledge these red colored lean meat as char siew. I stubbornly call them fake char siew hahaha. And it seems every single wanton mee stall in Penang uses these fake stuff exclusively, so I despise Penang wanton mee as a whole too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, quite a few of the KL wantan mee stalls also serve this reddish-type char siew. I'm ok with it (as long as it's not char siew rice). Oh, you're in luck...they do sell just the fried wantons (I saw their menu on ShopeeFood but don't know how many you get for the price charged though)! ^.^

      Delete
  5. My wife and I are crazy over fried wontons or sui kows. We would often order a plate full that would be 10 to 15 pieces of wontons regardless of big or small ones. I love to eat wanton noodles with Char Siew but this is the first time I heard of siew yok being served together. I am like PH who frequents Annie-1 for a good plate of Wanton Noodles. I know many other stalls are better than Annie-1 but they are in other territories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wah, you've 'disappeared' for 2 months...glad to see you back here. Hope everything's fine with you health-wise. Yeah, me too, like you, my family likes to order fried wantons & sui kow as a side dish to share.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...