Pages

Tuesday 30 November 2021

Salad Atelier @ Sunway Velocity

I'm not one who would order salads at restaurants coz I've always felt that they're overpriced + it's something we can make at home (rather easily) if we wanted to.  After all, it's just a matter of putting together a combo of fresh greens and fruits to make a salad.  Except for the dressings...that I've to admit we can't replicate as well (the restaurants' ones are definitely more unique than the ones we can make at home).

But I've seen phonghongbakes enjoying their salads, so I finally gave Salad Atelier @ Sunway Velocity a try when I succumbed to Shopee's Super Deal promotion of 50% off (or RM18 off for a minimum spend of RM36) recently + delivery is also free.  I used to have to pay additional for delivery from Sunway Velocity, Aeon Maluri or Pandan Jaya (coz the max delivery discount was only RM3 then) but now there's a RM4 off delivery voucher (for minimum spend of RM15 at selected restaurants) that we can claim. 

I've never had kale before, so I thought I'd give the Kale Citrus Chicken Salad @ RM34.90 a go.  This is predominantly a kale salad topped with roasted chicken, pomegranates, grapefruit, tangerines, cashew nuts and shredded cheese (which I left instructions to omit but they never read!) served with tangy mango and elaiese dressing.  Luckily, the taste of cheese was quite mild from the few pieces left behind that I didn't manage to pick out.

To bump up my order to RM36 so that I can enjoy the Super Deal of 50% off, I had to add in a can of Ayataka Japanese Green Tea @ RM3.70.  No problemo since green tea is good for us.

The grapefruit (unfortunately) had a slight bitterness to it but (luckily) the tangerines brought some sweetness to the salad as they were juicy and sweet....the pomegranates too which I loved for its crunchy texture and burst of juices when you bite into one (there was just not enough of it).  The cashew nuts well, let's just say, I can do better at home to bring out that roasted flavour and toasty, nutty aroma.  The roast chicken was just bland, dry and unimpressive and, safe to say, it won't be my choice of protein from now on for my salads.

Sadly, the kale I did not love at all....it was rough and chewy...with a green taste, not crunchy nor juicy like say lettuce.  It's a bit like eating arugula but at least rocket has a peppery taste and is not bland tasting like kale.  If each forkful of kale was not accompanied by something (a protein or a piece of juicy fruit), it was difficult to eat on its own.  Yes, I felt like a moo moo cow grazing on grass...great for the cow but not necessarily great for me! :D  I suppose it's okay once in a while because of kale's health benefits but I won't go looking for it anytime soon.  Now I know for sure I don't like kale.

The salad came with a tub of tangy mango dressing and a tub of Elaiese oil (which is supposedly premium red palm fruit oil known for its natural nutrients and health benefits).  The Elaiese oil looked quite intimidating with its ruby red colour, so I tasted it first before pouring it over my salad.  

I found it to be light tasting without any unwanted strong flavours, so I was okay with drizzling some over the salad...but not too much as it still had that oily aftertaste.  I probably used about two spoonsful but emptied the entire tub of tangy mango dressing into the salad.  You could certainly taste the mango flavour in the dressing, so it was light and tangy, but there were with some minced white bits in it (not sure what those were...garlic, perhaps (though it was soft and didn't have that strong garlic taste)?  Could it possibly even be some mild tasting cheese? >.<

For my second salad order, I was thinking of a DIY Salad where you get to choose the size of the salad to suit your tank (aptly named rabbit, raccoon, tiger, panda or dinosaur) and the ingredients (choice of base, main, supplementary, prime & dressing) you want to put in your salad.  But I quickly abandoned the idea coz it was quite a hassle, not to mention time consuming, to go through the never-ending list of ingredients.  When we get to choose, we can be quite fickle-minded and usually end up picking more than we're supposed to (which will bump up the price of the salad) or we could also end up choosing ingredients and dressing that don't work so well together.  Plus, from my earlier experience, I also don't trust them to do a good job of picking all the ingredients in my list, after all, they made a mess of my note to them to omit the shredded cheese in my earlier salad.

They offer a variety of signature salads (as in ready-assembled options so that we don't have to crack our heads to select the ingredient-pairing) such as Greek God, Rama ThaiVegan Thunder, The Cartel, Godfather and the Rising Sun (though not all options are available daily).

I chose Rama Thai @ RM30.30 coz I remembered phonghong mentioning that the prawns were good and this salad was the only one available that day that had prawns as its protein along with garden greens, mango, asparagus, cherry tomatoes, Japanese cucumber and brown rice as its base.

As far as salads are concerned, I always welcome diced mango in my salads for its juicy-sweet taste.  This time, the mango had just the right ripeness, not overly ripe (nor overly sweet) for that nice, firm bite.

The spicy prawns were boiled prawns with a crunchy texture (a bit like frozen prawns but taste slightly better).  It could well be those already cooked prawns you get in a packet (that we often see sold in supermarkets).  You can see little specks of chilli on them which provided a bit of heat.  They were alright although you can't compare them to fresh, cooked prawns.

The garden greens of romaine lettuce, frisee, cherry tomatoes and Japanese cucumber were there to add crunch and juiciness to the salad.  The few sticks of asparagus were over blanched till soft and not crunchy anymore.

The best thing about this salad was the homemade Thai Sukiyo dressing with its combination of sweet, sour, salty and spicy flavours.  It had a good dose of spiciness with some light sweetness and tartness...very appetising indeed.

The only thing I didn't like was the base of brown rice as it had a dry mouthfeel.  I don't think brown rice was an appropriate base for this salad, garden greens would have been a better combo (I personally would have preferred greens too as a base).  I didn't finish the salad at one go (it was a good portion size) and left the balance in the fridge.  It was even better eaten cold later (after I discarded the brown rice) as the greens of lettuce and cucumber became even crunchier to the bite (this is an excellent salad to keep for later consumption).

Similarly, to make the price go beyond RM36 so that I can get RM18 off, I had to include a bottle of Vitamin Water (Triple Berry) @ RM7.25.  Not an issue since I like berry-flavoured drinks...and this one was refreshing and only lightly sweet which was perfect for me! ;)

My Personal Opinion

Between the two salads I tried, I liked some of the components from each salad.  For one, the prawns were certainly a better protein than the dry roasted chicken and I also like the inclusion of juicy fruits in my salads like tangeriens, mangoes, pomegranates and grapefruit.  Going forward, I guess a DIY salad is my best option (where I get to pick what I want) and hope for the best (that they don't miss out any ingredients).

Well, I'm not one to pay RM30 for a salad....but if  I can get it at half the price, then I certainly don't mind ordering a healthy salad every now and then...and having it with a uniquely delicious dressing that doesn't come out of a bottle! ^_~

Salad Atelier
Lot 5-03i Sunway Velocity Mall
Lingkaran SV Sunway Velocity
55100 Kuala Lumpur

7 comments:

  1. Ah! You finally tried Salad Atelier. With good discounts it is worth it since we don't usually buy so many components to make our own salad at home (plue some of their dressings are really good). I unfortunately had some bad experience at the Starling outlet where some ingredients were left out (more than once) and I was served poorly prepared wraps. And then I realized the takeaway/delivery portions were smaller than dine-in ones. Anyway, speaking of kale, it is a vegetable that needs to be dressed and massaged (to soften) before it can be properly enjoyed. So it is not an ideal ingredient for a salad taken at the restaurant. I might go back to Salad Atelier since I saw they have a new crew and hopefully they are better than the previous ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, that's the very reason I didn't want to attempt a DIY salad in case they miss out some of the ingredients...and with takeaway/delivery, there's no possibility of rectifying the mistake. Oh, the portions for takeaway/delivery are smaller? I already thought it was a good portion size...hah..hah. I see, kale has to be dressed and massaged first. In other words, this is a salad that will do well sitting in its dressing (unlike other salads) for it to wilt. Thanks for the explanation...learned something new (looks like I didn't eat it the 'right' way for it to be properly enjoyed). >_<

      Delete
  2. Both drinks you had were so expensive, I rather add on ingredients to my salad than get those expensive drinks. >_<
    I would never order salad in a restaurant too with the same reason you mentioned, haha!
    Eh I thought grapefruit is originally has bitter taste?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grapefruit can also be tangy or sweet (I've tasted sweet ones before). Actually, it's a bit like pomelo which sometimes can be sweet or bitter. Unfortunately, the salads I chose were ready-assembled choices (not a DIY salad), so there was no option to add on ingredients, otherwise I would have.

      Delete
  3. I am not a salad person but somehow your photos made me drool so much at this hour. I think it was the Thai Sauce and mangoes that gave me some ideas now. As you could guess that I am on strict diet temporarily, I have to avoid most vegetables as I have to go on low fiber. So many well wishers sent me many rounds of fresh fruits that I almost got tired of eating them. Why didn't I think of making fruits salads after seeing this post? I could pour many types of dressings and sauce over to make them appetizing. Thank you for giving me this inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so easy to make a salad out of fruits at home (I actually prefer eating a fruit salad, especially one with mangoes, more than a vegetable salad). I've always thought that fruits & vegetables are good for any diet/health condition, so I'm surprised to find out that you need to go on a low fibre diet to recover. Stay well.

      Delete
  4. Once in a while I do venture in to the slightly healthier side of food thingysss

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...