Pages

Monday 9 November 2020

Mat Rock Ayam Goreng Kunyit @ Taman Maluri

If you've been following my blog, you'd probably remember how I bumped into Mat Rock's Ayam Goreng Kunyit sold from a delivery truck during the Ramadan bazaars some three years ago (2017 to be exact)...and I've been a loyal customer ever since, eating it at every Ramadan without fail, until this year when the pandemic and Movement Control Order (MCO) upended everything.

Well, no Ramadan bazaar cancellation is going to stop me from feasting on my favourite nasi ayam goreng kunyit, that's for sure.  If they can't come to me, I guess I'll have to go to them....and, luckily for me, there's a Mat Rock Ayam Goreng Kunyit @ Kampong Pandan near me.

If you can't get to one of their proper restaurants, you can find them in numerous locations all over Klang Valley through their food trucks as well as via food delivery platforms (and that includes handling their own delivery).  I think some of their food trucks are like nomads (and they move around different places coz I used to see one in Pandan Indah in front of Restoran 9898 but it's no longer there now).  You can check their Facebook to see where you can find them.

Their Nasi Ayam Goreng Kunyit @ RM6, which goes by the name of special ayam goreng kunyit (turmeric fried chicken), is special indeed with its taste where boneless chicken pieces, marinated in turmeric (and perhaps some other spices as well), are deep-fried to golden deliciousness.

Their bite-sized pieces of chicken, while being all (or mostly) breast meat, didn't taste dry but managed to maintain its juicy and tender texture with a nice crisp on the outside...and the chicken tasted fresh too.

Just before they finish frying, vegetables of long beans, carrots and onions are thrown into the hot oil to be flash-fried for a minute or so.  They're then fished out along with the chicken pieces with the vegetables crunchy to the bite (though the carrots and long beans can sometimes be still a bit hard).

They're then scooped into a box (or packet) of rice and finished with a dash of sauce that resembled just thick, dark, sweet soy but I think there's more to it.  I'd probably guess there's some oil in there too and maybe some chillies to infuse a slight hint of spiciness into the black sauce.

Finally, their killer spicy sambal (chilli paste) that's the bomb completes the taste of Mat Rock's nasi ayam goreng kunyit.  I can only handle less than half a packet of the chilli paste as it's tongue searing hot...it'll set your mouth on fire! >_<  It's so spicy it'll make grown men cry...and you want to exclude it but you just can't....coz it's just not the same without it!  I'm glad that the sambal is now packed separately (for us to eat the amount we can handle).  I remember asking for it to be packed separately (when I bought from their food truck during Ramadan) but was disappointed when I was asked to pay additional for it.  It wasn't that I wanted more, I was afraid they'd put too much in. :P

Besides chicken, there are also other options of protein to go with your rice.  For a seafood option, you can try their Nasi Sotong (Squid) Goreng Kunyit @ RM9.

I like the crispy bits of batter in the squid.  The squid is also tender although, at times, it can be slightly chewy when they overcook it.

Their Nasi Udang (Prawns) Goreng Kunyit @ RM9 is another worthy seafood option.  This one is real value for money as you'll get some 5 - 6 pieces of really good-sized prawns.

I'm not kidding...look at the size of those prawns! O_o  This is my second favourite (after chicken) as the prawns are nicely seasoned and fragrant.  As they're crispy too, you can devour the prawns...head and all....along with the shells (where all the savoury seasoning is trapped especially the legs).

Finally, we tried the beef option, Nasi Daging Goreng Kunyit (don't know the actual price of the beef option as this was in a combo of 2-meat) which also happens to be my least favourite choice as I find the beef to be on the chewy side.  There's also a final option of ikan keli (catfish).

The key is to mix everything together, the meat or seafood with the dark sweet sauce and fiery sambal for a spicy and delicious mouthful.....it's so good! ^o^

And you don't have to stick to one protein, you can order supreme and have a combination of any of the proteins you want...be it two, three or even four (if you can't decide or just want more liew with your rice).

Order the Mat Rock Super Supreme Set if you're feeling greedy extra peckish (not that I did) which comes with all four proteins of chicken, beef, squid and prawns.  Don't know how much that would cost since I've not ordered more than two combinations at any one time (a 2-combo set costs RM13).  There are also alternatives to tambah nasi (add rice) or fried egg (RM1).

My Personal Opinion

The food is always freshly fried as they cook them in small batches and replenished regularly (just like they do in their food trucks too).  That's probably the reason why I could taste the crisp texture in their proteins most of the time.

You can't ask for anything more from a complete meal of protein, vegetables and rice with an affordable price range of RM6 - RM13 for a simple yet satisfying meal.  I think the prices are lower if you buy from their food trucks instead of a proper restaurant.

My favourite is their ayam goreng kunyit followed by udang and sotong.  I would skip the daging though (as I find the meat not tender enough).  The sambal, although extremely spicy, is a must....and in accordance with their tagline "makan sampai berpeluh" (eat until sweat)...I say....bring on the sweat...and let's rock! ;P

Mat Rock Ayam Goreng Kunyit
No 15 Jalan Kampong Pandan
Taman Maluri
55100 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: 03-9202 9314

8 comments:

  1. Used to have this a lot while working in office, tapao from the truck, didn't know they deliver now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, there seems to be quite a few of these trucks around town. I was first introduced to Mat Rock through these trucks too :)

      Delete
  2. The goreng kunyit all look very good, very well coated with kunyit and spices. Wah...I also feel like want to eat! There is one stall run by two Chinese girls at a coffee shop in Damansara Utama. I should go and try theirs. The sambal does look fiery red and hot and I'd probably need an extra packet hee..hee..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can successfully handle two packets of sambal, then I must say that you have a very high tolerance for spicy food. Hmmm, ayam goreng kunyit done by Chinese, I'm not so sure about that coz I have to admit the Chinese don't make sambal quite like the Malays...hee..hee! ;)

      Delete
  3. My saliva was dripping and drooling while looking at all the photos 2-3 times. I like the colour of the dishes as one could see that it is tasty and delicious. I want to sink my teeth into the huge prawns too.

    Their price range of RM6 - RM13 for a simple yet satisfying meal is worth it since you can makan sampai berpeluh. Muahahahaha

    The name Mat Rock's Ayam Goreng Kunyit is very catchy and convincing too. I feel that any meat that is marinated with kunyit would be fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suck in your drool, please...hah..hah! :D I see you like food marinated in kunyit too. I was pleasantly surprised myself at the size (and quantity) of prawns I got! ^_~

      Delete
  4. Combination of Sambal + kicap manis is the soul of any nasi ayam goreng kunyit! The stall near my office was moved, so I didn't have it for quite sometime :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's hope another one open up near your office soon. You're right about the sambal + kicap manis being a good combo! ;)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...