Pages

Wednesday 28 October 2020

A Gift of a Little Black Pastry Box

Recently, I was privileged to be at the receiving end of a little black box (oh God, no, not the airplane kind)...a little black pastry box, that is.  Well, I've heard of little black dress (you know, that versatile little black dress that seems to fit any occasion that every stylish lady has in her closet at one time or another)...but not a little black box.

Well, now there's a Little Black Pastry Box of artisanal hand crafted pastries that's perfect as a gift for loved ones for any occasion.  I was introduced to these artisan handcrafted pastries recently when I received the gift of a little black pastry box....and not just one, mind you, but three such boxes! :O

And no....I didn't receive it because of a special occasion or a celebration of some sort.  I got it from my neighbour's daughter (it was a surprise alright!) who lives in Australia.  Well, it was her way of thanking me for helping her parents out when they were under home quarantine.  You see, my neighbours (who are retirees) visited their son in the US in February (just after Chinese New Year) and got stuck there for close to 6 months after the pandemic hit.  They finally managed to return in late July and had to undergo two weeks home quarantine.  They were actually lucky as they returned just days (three, I think) before the government announced that overseas returnees were no longer allowed to quarantine at home but had to do so at government designated places.  So, I was tasked with getting them their groceries during the quarantine. They just gave me a list or let me know what they need and I go out and get it for them.  It was no trouble at all.  Occasionally, whenever possible, I would tapau cooked food for them too (just to give them a break from their own cooking).

And this was my neighbour's daughter's way of saying thank you.  I told them it wasn't necessary + it was too much since my neighbour had already earlier brought home gifts for me from his son when they returned.  My neighbours (and their children) are just too courteous.  It's not that I went out of my way...I go out to buy groceries and food (for myself) too, so it was just a case of buying extra on my trips.

Anyway, coming back to the little black boxes, you can just google little black pastry box (I did) and it'll take you to their online ordering website and facebook in case you want to check them out.  With so much sweet stuff to get through, I had to call in reinforcements (aka my sisters-in-law) to help with the eating! ;P

Let me show you what's inside little black box no. 1...with a fancy French name of Fleur Pour Vous (RM53) which means flowers for you.  
There's also a version of chocolate-flavoured cupcakes in colours of pink and peach (called Cupid Cups, RM48) that's ideal if you're planning to send it to the lady in your life.

They were pretty flower cupcakes in flavours of vanilla and vanilla mixed berries.  The presentation was absolutely beautiful.  Don't you think they're just too pretty to eat? ;)

I took close-up shots of the cupcakes to show you just how intricate the buttercream frosting designs were and how stunningly gorgeous the end result.  The dark blue and green ones really resemble chrysanthemums...and those roses in a lovely tiffany blue...pretty as a picture.

Luckily, they weren't just pretty, they were lusciously delectable too.  The cupcakes and buttercream frosting weren't too sweet though I was quite frightened off by the amount of buttercream initially.  Thankfully the buttercream wasn't cloying but because colouring was used to achieve the desired colours and design, watch out...you'll most probably end up with a blue tongue! :D

Opening little black box no. 2, it was certainly the most alluring and one with the most variations.  This gem inspired dessert called The Mystical Sapphire (RM109) will have the ladies swooning over its beauty. 

With a name like sapphire which, incidentally, it's my second most loved gemstone...after diamonds (coz diamonds are a girl's best friend mah :P) with a bluish theme (my favourite colour) coursing through four different desserts, it was a sight to behold when the box was opened.

With this box you get four different varieties of desserts:
  • One jasmine mousse with cherry jelly & sapphire gems
  • One chocolate mousse with mango jelly & clear crystals
  • Four chocolate macarons with topaz gems
  • Four chocolate pralines with white chocolate ganache & raspberry jelly dusted with blue & silver edible dust
The heart-shaped jasmine mousse is the perfect gift for your Valentine, don't you think?  I didn't taste this one.  The sapphire gems were just sugar crystals with some touches of blue colouring and edible gold leaf for that luxury touch.

Now the chocolate mousse was probably the most gorgeous of the lot.  They call this the blue marble and it looks like a shiny marble indeed.

Here's a cross section of it just to show you all the chocolaty goodness inside.  It was luscious...but also a little sweet for me.

The four chocolate macarons with topaz gems (similar to the sapphire gems) were adorably dainty.  The macarons with a chocolate ganache filling were super sweet (as most all macarons are).  Love the baby blue colour though.

Finally, four chocolate pralines complete the box.  You'd be better off admiring the stunning hexagon-shaped gems from a distance than eating it as they were beyond sweet (and all that glitter of edible dust will transfer to your fingers and lips).

Finally, inside little black box no. 3 was A Choux Box (RM59) of choux pastry in flavours of strawberry cream cheese, chocolate hazelnut and pandan.  There's also a version of plain ones (Choux Simplicity, RM39) in a mixture of vanilla and chocolate flavours.

I enjoyed these the most probably because I love to eat cream puffs (with just a simple pastry cream filling) to begin with for its light, crisp and airy texture. ^.^

My favourite was the strawberry cream cheese one coz it offered a slight tang in the strawberry topping from the sweetness of the choux pastry.  It was also a tad less sweet compared to the other two.

Oh my, these are so perfectly done with a shiny glaze on top...uniform, identical, cute as a button.....and absolutely desirable too.  Well, this one at least tasted as good as it looked.

Even the packaging is impressive.  A very good quality hard box in black that's stylish, elegant and ritzy.  In other words, so atas-lah (high-class)! :P  Guys, imagine sending this to your girlfriend, fiancee or wife....at the office....their colleagues will go "aww" and you will score some extra brownie points! ;P

I have to say I wasn't aware of their existence until I received a few of these little black boxes as gifts.  Personally, not to sound ungrateful or anything (it's the thought that counts and I do appreciate the gesture), I probably wasn't as ecstatic as I could be at receiving such sweet gifts since I'm not a sweet tooth person (neither is my family) and don't really eat sweet stuff all that much (I only did a little taste test and left the rest to my sisters-in-law).  But I know of many ladies who would love to be at the receiving end of something like this and who would be in awe when they open the box.

So, you may wish to keep this Little Black Pastry Box in mind when you want to order
a box of love and happiness to impress that special someone in your life.  They make ideal gifts to that special someone (or even friends and family) for special occasions like Valentine's, birthdays, Mother's Day, anniversaries or just about any celebration.  It can also simply be for your own personal indulgence and guilty pleasure (we won't judge)! ^o^

14 comments:

  1. These things are too pretty to eat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't have to eat them...you just need to send them....kekeke! ;D

      Delete
  2. the packaging alone was enough to impress me, but the contents are even more gorgeous! love the flowery cupcakes in cool hues - very eye-catching! anyone who receives them will instantly take out their phone to photograph them :D and the dessert 'jewel box' is even more amazing - the marble macaron looks really distinctive, and the pralines are such pretty 'gems' :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right...that was the first thing I did...I whipped out my phone. Imagine guys sending this out to their special someone...in the work place, not only will she take photos of it, her colleagues will too....hah..hah! :D

      Delete
    2. Sorry Kris, tumpang your blog to talk to Sean :P
      Sean, did you enable the comment function in your blog? I can't see the comment box on your recentl posts.

      Delete
    3. I'm not sure if Sean will be back to see this comment of yours. So, if I can answer on his behalf, I'll say yes, I think Sean has removed the comment function. I too don't see it anymore. Well, that's probably in conjunction with his plan to 'retire' from blogging as he has spoken about this intention since early 2019 (in his previous comments on my farewell posts that he looks forward to joining me in 'retirement' at some point). I reckon he has finally taken up on that. If I'm correct (and knowing more or less his style of writing), the last few posts (I feel) were certainly not written by him.

      To Sean:
      I will miss 'seeing' you on my blog...and the camaraderie we've fostered but I will still be a fan of eatdrinkkl nevertheless. I take this opportunity to wish you great success in your new adventure and the next chapter of your life. All the best, my (online) friend.

      Delete
    4. TQ Kris for letting me know that I'm the the only one who cannot comment in Eatdrinkkl :P

      Delete
  3. Thank you very much for sharing this Little Black Pastry Box. I thought I had seen the best cupcakes but I am so wrong until I saw inside this Little Black Pastry Box. It is definitely the prettiest cupcakes ever made and it is worth the price. That would make a very special gift for very special people like you. I wish I have you as a caring neighbour when I am old and too senile to buy my groceries. You are too humble to admit but I believe your kindness moved your neighbours and the heavens!

    I must say that the The Mystical Sapphire are the most attractive and so realistic looking like gems. I will remember this when I want to gift someone special.
    As for the blue roses, I saw real blue and green roses for the first time in England last year. So I believe the pastry chef chose that colour with special meaning behind instead of red. Thank you for all the detailed descriptions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words, TM. I do what little I can to help. I think of you as special people instead (not me) coz you bend over backwards to help the sick and the needy.

      Yes, blue and green roses are very pretty in deed (red is so overrated...haha!) but, of course, I've only seen them in pictures (my favourite are the lavender-coloured roses). P/S: I know who's that special someone you're thinking of and I'm sure she'll be very happy to be at the receiving end of such a lovely gift from you. ^_~

      Delete
  4. Wow! Lucky you! Not just one Little Black Pastry Box but 3 boxes! Of the 3, I like the one with cupcakes the best followed by the choux pastry. I am not keen on macarons. Your SILs get to tumpang eat those delectables too. Lucky them. If they were my SIL, no chance for them wahahahahaha!!! You are certainly deserving of these gifts for being an exemplary neighbor. I think if I want to enjoy these classy pastries, I will have to buy them myself. Don't expect my lahling to buy this sort of things for me hah..hah..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like choux pastry & cupcakes too. Certainly not keen on macarons like you. Ah, I see your lahling is not the romantic kind (especially so when they had successfully wooed you, don't you think?)...hah..hah! :D Never mind, you can pamper yourself once in a while :)

      Delete
  5. Oh my, those dessert boxes will definitely melt my heart if i'm the one who received them. They are too pretty to be eaten but I will eat them, eventually.... LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's hoping someone melts your heart soon...hee..hee! ^_~ Otherwise, you must hint hint to that someone to read this blogpost of mine then since you enjoy eating desserts.

      Delete
    2. Dilemma.... I love dessert but dare not eat too much, must control myself, sob sob :(

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...