Pages

Wednesday 18 November 2020

Chen Chen Roast Goose & Duck @ Pudu

We were in the vicinity and decided to drop by Chen Chen Roast Goose & Duck @ Pudu for a late breakfast cum early lunch since I was in the mood for a bit of duck.  This is just a roadside stall that's located on the side of an old shoplot, so you know what to expect in terms of comfort level and cleanliness.

This was the side entrance that I walked in from.  Perhaps the shot of the place would look a bit less shabby if I had taken the photo from the front of the stall...but that would mean I probably had to be standing in the middle of the road (so, uh-uh)! >_<

Although this is just a no-frills stall set-up, you'll find the owner/chef in full chef attire like it was a fancy restaurant...lol (I guess he takes pride in what he does).  We were driving past the area once and saw workers carrying (cooked but exposed) roast chickens/ducks (by their hooks) along the road and walking towards the stall.  So, be forewarned about where your food comes from since there's no kitchen/cooking on site.

Since I wanted to taste a bit of everything, we went for a combo platter of roast duck, siew yuk and char siew which cost a total of RM38 together with two plates of rice, a bowl of soup and two iced Chinese tea.

The siu yuk skin was not very crunchy and also a little hard.  The char siew, though looked every bit the part with a nice, caramelised outer layer, the flavours just didn't impress.  Both didn't deliver in terms of taste as I can easily get much better ones elsewhere.

The roast duck was the best thing on the plate.  The meat was adequately tender though the skin wasn't as crispy as I would have preferred.  I suppose that's not possible since they have no kitchen facilities on site to crisp up the skin.  I requested for the breast portion (which is my favourite part always when it comes to duck) as I really dislike going through the bony parts of the duck.

The duck (and the other meats) were served with three types of sauces...a slightly salty brown sauce with hints of black pepper (I'm not a fan of this usual overly salty brown sauce served with duck but this one was at least slightly better than some of the ones I've had before), a fresh green chilli dip of probably green chillies and bird's eye chillies since it was rather spicy but appetising (sorry, there's no chicken rice-type red chilli dip here) and a clear sauce which I initially thought was some kind of oil.

Of course a sauce of oil wouldn't make any sense and when I spooned it, I noticed that it had a rather thick and sticky consistency.  Putting it to my mouth, I realised it was a sweet sauce which tasted like a 
tangy, sweet plum sauce.  I give top marks for the dip with flavours of sweet, tangy, salty and spicy that combined very well together for the duck.

We were served what looked like yau fan (oily rice) or chicken-flavoured rice.  It had nice flavours even though the rice grains weren't of the best quality.  I only came to know that there was another rice option when I saw pictures of their yellow-tinged rice (turmeric-infused?) online.  Perhaps that option is only given if one orders the roast goose. :P

When our meat platter arrived, it also came with a bowl of soup (of the day) that we didn't order.  At first glance, I thought this was their free soup similar to what we get when we have chicken rice.  Taking a closer look, I noticed two pork meatballs in a soup of dried salted vegetables (choy kon) with some off-cuts of duck. Some might even think it's free...lol....but my suspicions tell me it can't be free!  People won't refuse or return it once it's put on the table...it was a rather clever marketing strategy on their part though some may not be so accommodating when something is forced upon them without their consent, so to speak.  I don't know how much it cost but the worker gave us a refill even without us asking (the soup only-lah, not the meatballs!).  In the end, I wouldn't mind paying for the soup since it was tasty (a lady at the next table even asked for more meatballs).

From a signboard displayed at the place, a whole roasted goose goes for RM230 which is more than triple the price of a whole roasted duck at RM68 (of course the former is also a lot bigger in size).  A more affordably priced meal would be a single portion of roast goose rice at RM16 (but I reckon you won't be getting the best parts...which is the leg) while a single serving of duck rice clocks in at RM9.  In retrospect, I should have probably gone for the goose (since that's what they're well-known for) but the prices were a deterrent + I was afraid the meat would be less tender than duck (I already find some duck meat to be tougher than what I wanted).

My Personal Opinion

I would just stick to the roast duck (and probably roast goose) here...and forget about their secondary meats like siu yuk and char siew since the place is, after all, famous for their duck and goose.

I didn't try the roast goose as I was as much dissuaded by the hefty price as I was of the thought of going through bony parts of a siew ngor pei (roast goose drumstick) which is supposedly the most revered part (not to mention the most requested) when it comes to roast goose.  I think it would sound a bit ridiculous if I had asked for breast meat! :D  It was probably just as well since there were quite a few reviews that highlighted the expensive pricing and that the skin wasn't crispy.  Judging from what we had that day (considering that it was just a roadside stall), it wasn't the cheapest of meals...even without the goose! >_<

Even though the roast duck was pleasantly tender with a respectable flavour, I don't need to travel that far since I can get a better tasting one near where I live (in BBQ Kong Meng)....and this one is served with crispy skin...every time! ^_~

Chen Chen Roast Goose & Duck
24 Jalan Seladang
Off Lorong Yap Hin
Pudu
55100 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: 012-233 3083

12 comments:

  1. Goose is nice but I think usually duck is like 85% as good while being a lot cheaper. Love chen chen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, I can't remember if I ever had goose before. I might have eaten it before and thought it was duck...wuahahahaha! :D

      Delete
  2. The food looks good.. I like to try roasted goose but unfortunately it is not easily accessible as in roasted duck...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, even the famous Hong Kong 1-Michellin star Kam's Roast branch in Pavilion serves the more readily available duck instead of goose. ^_*

      Delete
  3. This Chen Chen is own by my friend Eric Chen. His father is the main person. We have known each since at the age 16 in KL Methodist Church. Food is good, but we are not talking of 4-star restaurant ........... for so many years, still around, Chen Chen have his followings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they're good at their speciality and indeed have their own respected following. Ah, I think I know who is your friend as I've seen his son helping out at the stall in what looks like a family-run business together with the lady boss (who I presume is the owner's wife).

      Delete
  4. I don't think I have ever had goose before. Like you, I would go for duck breast every time. Somehow, it is the opposite of chicken hee..hee... This place ought to stick to their forte - the goose and duck but I suppose they want to give customers variety. What I do remember about goose is that my dad had a few geese in our backyard when we were living at a government quarters in Terengganu. But I don't remember of any of them made it to the dining table. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, I can't even remember if I've had goose before, not even when I was in Hong Kong many, many years ago on holiday...hah..hah (it would have been a travesty to not try goose in Hong Kong, right?)! :D I can't imagine eating your own reared chicken, duck or goose though as we might have grown attached to them (some of them might even have names)...lol!

      Delete
  5. When I was younger and lived in Penang, I was so used to seeing marinated ducks and chicken hanging on bamboo poles by the road side under the hot sun. It was so acceptable those days and perhaps the street dusts added booster ingredients before they were roasted. Now I am living in KL and would freak out at slightest unhygienic conditions. What's wrong with me as I aged? LOLOL Haha

    I thought all the combo meat on your plate looked appetizing. I prefer Roast Goose than ducks due to the smell. Looks can be deceiving sometimes. I just ate one of the best Char Siew at The Museum in Starling Mall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess people were not as particular about unhygienic conditions back then as they're now...just like how people are bothered about healthy eating now compared to back then.

      If you eat a good (tasting) duck, there shouldn't be any gamey smell. You must have missed our Uptown Girl's post about the char siew she had at The Museum which she thought was good...but tasted somewhat similar to the more affordably priced TnR (now renamed TnR the Real Charsiew by Sean & Angie to differentiate itself from the other TnR). ^_~

      Delete
  6. Duck breast most probably my least favourite part (same to any chicken/duck dishes) because the meat tend to be tougher than other meat parts. For roasted duck, I like to choose parts with more skin, hehe :P
    The Char Siew looked legit with its caramelized outer, but too bad the taste was failed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like PH said, duck breast is the opposite of chicken breast. I never go for chicken breast coz I find it so dry but duck breast is different...I actually find it more tender (if done well) than other parts of a duck. I like skin too...especially if they're crispy. ^_*

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...