Pages

Wednesday 24 April 2019

Just One Food - Irvins Salted Egg Snacks

There seems to be no stopping the salted egg craze, is there? ;)  It's used to flavour anything and everything...even crickets (eww)!  And for people who love salted egg, we say.....bring it...with the exception of crickets-lah! O_o

Perhaps the most addictive couch potato snack is this made-in-Singapore Irvins Salted Egg Potato Chips. They're #AbsolutelyGood and #DangerouslyAddictive but also #ExorbitantlyExpensive at S$16 (big, 230g) or S$8 (small, 105g).  Will you be willing to pay about RM25 for a small bag of potato chips? ;)  Certainly the best salted egg potato chips I've had so far...we literally finished it in seconds! ^.^  After all, it was such a small packet.  That pretty much explains why there are no photos to show for it..oops!

After falling in love with Irvins Salted Egg Potato Chips, we just had to get Irvins Salted Egg Fish Skin too which retail at similar prices (S$16 for big & S$8 for small).

And just like the Salted Egg Potato Chips, you can smell the salted egg as soon as you open the packaging.  And you can definitely taste the salted egg flavour.....without it being too salty! ^o^

The fried fish skin was super crispy and the fragrant fried curry leaves provided even more flavour to the snack.  I actually preferred to get at the smaller pieces of fish skin as they were crispier and seemed to somehow trap more salted egg flavour in them.

If there was just one thing I didn't appreciate as much was that I detected sweetness in the fish skin as the sprinkling of sugar crystals was quite obvious to see.  I guess it can't be helped as the sugar is needed to relieve the otherwise too salty taste of the salted egg.

So, I'm probably in the minority that doesn't appreciate the sweetness...and those who need to watch their sugar intake may have to refrain from consuming too much of this awesome snack.

And don't be fooled by their large packaging, 230g isn't very much...you can finish it in one sitting if you really wanted to...no problemo!  I think their large packaging is simply to try to camouflage the small portion in relation to the expensive price...haha! :D

Looks like not even the recent news of a dead lizard (!) found in a packet of their salted egg fish skin will deter consumers from giving it up completely (maybe in the short term) but it'll be quickly forgotten as the snack will prove too hard to resist....wuahahahahaha! :D

Other than potato chips and fish skin, their third crispy snack would be their Salted Egg Cassava Chips and there's also a Hot Boom (aka spicy) version of all three snacks.

Besides these salted egg crispy snacks, I also see that they offer for sale Salted Egg Crunchy Roll and Salted Egg Pineapple Tarts in their website.  They even sell Salted Egg Essence @ RM19.90 a bottle....what?!...for those who can't get enough of that salted egg flavour (and want even more to dip their crunchy snacks in)! :O

So, the next time you find yourself in Singapore (or Hong Kong and Philippines where there are physical shops), you might want to cart a few bags home for friends and family (they'll love you for it).  Those of us here can still get our hands on them through online stores, just that we have to pay a heck lot more for them (it could be anything between RM40 - RM75 for the 105g or 230g)...ouch! :'(

If you have not had Irvins Salted Egg Potato Chips and Fish Skin snacks before, do get some (or hope someone gifts them to you) coz they're just......Simply Amazing! ^o^

8 comments:

  1. Just when I thought that I had successfully weaned myself off snacks (with my fasting and all hah..hah..), there you go reminding me of how good these salted egg yolk snacks are! Good eh? But so pricey. They put sugar in the fish skin? Not for me, I like it all salted.

    I tried a local brand and it's still in my draft folder. I think I shall publish it before it gets stale hee..hee...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking that local brand...could it be Hofu? ;) Since it's in your locality. Most salted egg yolk snacks are expensive. There's definitely sugar in the salted egg yolk mix (be it sprinkled or cooked in the sauce already) otherwise it'd be too salty. Even when I order those salted egg yolk dishes with prawns, chicken, squid, etc. I can taste the sugar in the sauce, so need to eat this only sparingly...hehe! ^_*

      Delete
  2. i only managed to try irvins cos a friend who works in singapore brought it back for me - i remember they also have a salted egg sauce that can work as a dip for the snacks! :D maybe you could try a comparison with the malaysian-made brands, like hofu japanese snacks - cheaper, at about RM30 each :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll probably try some of the Malaysian-made brands though I don't think those salted egg yolk snack are any cheaper (they actually cost about the same as Irvins if bought directly from Singapore using the RM equivalent). They may 'look' cheaper coz their packaging size/weight is smaller/lighter! ;P

      Delete
  3. The salted egg craze is not going away. I am happy for it to stay ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my super sinful, and super good isn't it!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with what you say...it's super alright! ^.^

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...