Pages

Thursday 11 April 2019

Snacks from around the World

I feel privileged indeed to have sampled these snacks from around the world, many of which were the result of gifts, mostly from my next-door neighbour while some were from families' and friends' travels for work or pleasure.  Let me share with you just some of them.

#1 - Godiva Assorted Chocolates


The best gifts to receive are chocolates...hee..hee, don't you think?  And what's even better....if they're from the world's finest chocolatier in Belgium, Godiva chocolates...kekeke! ;)


This indulgent Godiva assortment features 3 types of chocolate...milk, dark and white chocolate.  They all look too pretty to eat.


Each box comes with 3 layers and each layer features one white chocolate, 3 dark chocolate and 5 milk chocolate varieties.  All were fantastic but if I had to choose a favourite, it'd be the dark chocolate variety.

#2 - THINaddictives Cranberry Almond Thin Cookies


This made-in-Canada almond thin cookies are conveniently packed in individual packets that can be eaten on the go.  Their advertising slogan of....so thin (they were quite thin cookies), soo crunchy (they weren't very crunchy) and sooo addictive (nope, not addictive at all).


In fact, the cookies were, to put it mildly, not to my liking at all.  They actually taste quite horrible to be honest + I don't really like almonds to begin with.

#3 - Scallop Snack

My hairdresser gave me two little snacks to try that she got from her vacation to Japan.  One, believe it or not, is some kind of dried mini scallops.


What...they even make a snack out of scallops?  Trust the Japanese to come up with snacks of any kind.  The scallops tasted like rehydrated dried cuttlefish unfortunately, so it was both fishy and chewy. >_<

#4 - Yubari Melon Steam Cake


The other snack was this individually wrapped bite-sized yubari melon steam cake.


It had a distinctive fruity aroma (of yubari melon I'm assuming) when opened.  I wouldn't know as I've never eaten a yubari melon before since they're beyond affordability.  I loved the zesty taste of the steamed cake with a texture like a light sponge and a creamy filling that tasted equally fruity.  Since a yubari melon is such a premium cantaloupe with a premium price tag, I don't really expect this to be from the real fruit....haha! ;D  So, could this be just yubari melon-flavoured essence?

#5 - Kirkland Dry Roasted Almonds


Again....almonds...oh no!  Great if I'm one who bakes cakes and cookies but I'm not.  It's such a big bag (over a kilo), I definitely had to give it away coz of all the nuts, I like almonds the least.

#6 - Maltesers Chocolate

From Australia comes these crisp malt centres covered with a layer of smooth milk chocolate that's a favourite of many.

#7 - Austin Toasty Crackers with Peanut Butter


First of all, the convenience of the crackers coming in individual packets means one can choose to eat how many packets one wants at one time without the need to store the balance in a container.


I liked that these Austin (Texas) toasty crackers, with a slight hint of saltiness, were crisp and had a smooth and not too sweet peanut butter sandwiched between them.  Makes a nice snack with a cup of coffee in hand.

#8 - Kee Wah (Winter Melon) Wife Cakes or Lo Por Paeng

I'd say this is right at the top of the list of best things I've ever been gifted coz these winter melon cakes are down right delicious! ^o^  How can it not be...from such an established name like Kee Wah since 1938.  I first tasted this when my neighbours gifted me a box...the best ones I've had.

I then recommended it to my sister-in-law when she was scheduled to visit Hong Kong.  She gifted me a box (of course)....and regretted she only bought one box for her own consumption as her husband found it to be really good too.  If you find yourself in Hong Kong, you must get this...for yourself or as gifts.

#9 - Moser Roth Chocolates


How about Moser Roth, a German brand of chocolates (since 1902), of the finest milk chocolate with pistachios and dark chocolate with fruity cranberry.  Unfortunately, my spouse doesn't like any nuts (or fillings) in his chocolates.  He has simple tastes and loves just plain milk chocolate as it is.

#10 - Bombay Mix


This chanachur mixture from Bangladesh is very much similar to our local Indian snack of mix nuts and flour crisps but pales in comparison in terms of taste.  In fact, the ones made by our local Indians taste loads, loads better.

#11 - Potato Farm Jaga Pokkuru


These premium potato fries from 100% Hokkaido-grown potatoes are awesome with a concentrated potato flavour.  Perfect snack for a couch potato, no?

#12 - Mama Instant Tom Yum Noodles


This is a famous brand of instant noodles from Thailand.  I tried only one packet and found the noodles not to my liking at all.  In fact, it tasted pretty horrible which was kinda a surprise to me since I like to eat Mama's brand of instant meehoon that's available from our local supermarkets here.

#13 - Godiva Assorted Dessert Truffles


Come in 3 flavours of Creme Brulee (brown truffle), Chocolate Lava Cake (purple truffle) and Strawberry Cheesecake (pink truffle).  Love the gold/silver foil sweets-like wrapping...so classy.  My favourite...the purple truffle! ^.^

#14 - Nature's Garden Omega-3 Deluxe Mix Nuts


With a sticker that says "heart healthy", it's a prelude to what to expect.  Anything that's good for us, one can expect less in the flavour department.  Raw and unsalted, I wasn't expecting it to taste that terrible.


Maybe it's just me...I can't 'stomach' raw nuts (there were almonds, walnuts, pecans, pistachios, pepitas & sunflower seeds).  The only thing I did enjoy were the dried cranberries.  If only I know how to bake cakes, it would be a way to make use of these raw nuts. ^_~

#15 - T K Food Salty Yolk Cookies


These individually packaged salty yolk cookies are from Taiwan.  Unfortunately, it tasted just like any normal cookie (but a decent tasting one at that) as the salted egg taste was almost non-existent.

I share or give most of the snacks away (though not all ^_*) as I can't finish them by myself (I'm not a great snacker, the snacker in my family is actually my husband) but I make sure I sample at least one just to know what it tastes like.

So, thank you to all my 'snack givers'.....and this is just part one! ^_~

12 comments:

  1. Just part one? Goodness! I thought this was already so many snacks hee..hee... Eh, I like almonds lah. I only wish I was gifted with almonds, Eh, actually someone did give me a a packet of almonds. I better go look for it.

    Those almond thin cookies look like biscotti, kind of dry looking. I'm like you, I dislike raw nuts. I just can't stomach that "green" raw taste. I must have them roasted. I suppose chocolate are the safest bet, eh. They almost always taste good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes, I had to break it up as I reckon there are already too many snacks to feature in one blog post. Well, if I do receive any more almonds, I know who to offload it to then...kekeke! ;)

      Yup, chocolates are the safest bet...but also probably the most expensive 'souvenir'! ^.^

      Delete
  2. when someone receives souvenirs from their hairdresser, it shows they're a great customer! :) i love almonds actually, they're my favourite of all the nuts :D the others i'm definitely tempted by are the chocolates - particularly the maltesers and the godiva truffles! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, I suppose I'm a great customer...but not becoz I give her 'frequent' business but becoz I would bring and share with her some of my food and snacks...hehe! ^_*

      Delete
  3. food/snacks are popular souvenir in my office too :P
    That box of Godiva definitely looks delicate and pretty, but since me & my family not really into chocolate, so I'll quite headache when ppl give me chocolate as gift. They will ended up sit in my fridge for months >_<
    I received similar dried seafood snack from Japan from a friend which everybody else don't like it except me, LOL
    Kee Wah definitely a well established bakery in HK ad I knew it from the yeras of HK drama watching experience :P
    I'm curious which flavour of Mama's instant noodles that you don't like :P
    My friend shared with me the similar s Taiwan salted egg biscuits during our last gathering, same verdict as you, taste pretty normal, nothing wow me LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No headache at all when you receive chocolates as gifts if you're not into chocolates. You just bring it to office and share with your colleagues...and they'll think you're the best colleague ever! ;D
      Oh, you've eaten this dried scallop snack...and liked it. Hmmm....
      I didn't know you can learn about this famous Kee Wah from watching HK drama. :P
      I had the tomyum flavour...didn't like the soup taste nor the egg noodles.
      Taste pretty normal means you also didn't find enough salted egg flavour in the biscuits I'm assuming.

      Delete
  4. Hand me those scallops pls thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you sure? You mean you like fishy and chewy...wuahahahaha! :D

      Delete
  5. Muahahahahaha!! I love this post too. Why? It's because you are so downright honest with your own opinion unlike those paid blogger's writing styles.

    I must say that I love the HKG's Wife Bisquits and Godiva chocolates to the heavens. They are simply delicious. You are so so so blessed to have a good neighbour who showers you with gifts. I never had a good generous neighbour but all my previous and current neighbours love me instaed because I showered them with gifts from travels and pots of flowering plants from Sungai Buloh. I had to do so because I needed my neighbour to help run my car engines when I traveled overseas for over a week. I kena flat batteries for both cars when I returned it and they were so costly to replace. So might as well, be nice to my neighbours and vice versa on car-battery-running!

    BTW that Wah Kee brand is one of the Top Best brands. I have tried several Wife Biscuits sold fresh and warm from different shops with long queues but they tasted horrible or hard or even tasteless. It made me wonder how those folks could queue up for them.

    I love almonds and could eat the whole bag by myself! Since last year I had to avoid almonds completely as it caused me serious rash attacks. I think I will someday write a post just to share my food allergies which developed one by one. My immunity level has dropped and probably my liver will kaput too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, thank you. I've always been honest with my reviews and opinions.

      Hey, I too start my neighbour's car when they're away on holiday. Haha, maybe that's why I get showered with gifts from their travels. I also share with them my goodies too. It's the "give and you shall receive" motto.

      Have those folks not heard of Kee Wah Wife Biscuits. I think no need to Q since they've so many branches where you can buy them...even at the airport.

      Hmmm, I've never experienced any food allergies in my lifetime....yet! ;)

      Delete
  6. Food gifts are the best gifts... my brother always brings us back loads whenever he visits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you :) Agree, who doesn't appreciate food gifts, right?...hehe! ^_~

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...