Pages

Thursday 20 September 2018

Eatomo @ Bangsar

All our visits thus far to Eatomo had been to their first and original branch in Taman Desa where we first fell in love with their food (you can check out my previous visits here, herehere and here).  They subsequently opened their second in Solaris Dutamas and then their third a little over two months ago.

So, we decided to eat at Eatomo @ Bangsar for a change since I noticed a couple of new dishes on the menu (highlighted by eatdrinkkl's post) that I didn't see in their Taman Desa branch (on my last visit there, probably it's available now but I didn't want to take the chance that it's not).

On arrival, I was immediately taken in with the ambiance and decor of this new branch.  Definitely preferred this brighter, newer and more comfortable space compared to their first outlet in Taman Desa.

There's both an indoor air-conditioned area and an alfresco dining area.  I won't usually choose to sit in the outdoor area but this one was comfortable and cooling.  Anyway, the evening we were there, we didn't have a choice as all the inside seats were occupied since there was a large group celebration.

Extra touches of greenery in the outdoor space which I appreciated.

Creative-looking ceiling lights made out of colourful painted wooden boxes.

And the attention grabbing walls adorned with hundreds of oyster shells.  Lovely idea but wonder what happens when it starts to collect dust...hee..hee! ;P

One such dish that I wasn't sure if it'd be in Taman Desa's menu (yet) that got me here was the Gyutan Aglio Olio @ RM24.90 of wok-fired, thinly sliced and tender prime beef tongue with spaghetti instead of rice, a fusion dish of gyutan and pasta.

Cooked perfectly al-dente and tossed in a house special three-chilli, spicy shoyu and garlic sauce, every strand was coated with lots of flavour.  Slightly fiery but tolerable (after I picked out the bird's eye chillies) though I'd prefer they dial down the oiliness.

Of course, their best-seller of Wok-Fired Spicy Gyutandon @ RM21.90 remains a firm favourite with us as always.  Great for those who like punchy, in-your-face flavours with three types of chillies in play in this rice bowl...fresh, less fiery green and red chillies combined with heat seeking missiles of green bird's eye chillies! >_<

This is a dish that's ideally made for people who can eat (and take) the spiciness of cili api.  For me, personally, I'd eat the red and green chillies (no problem) but not the bird's eye chillies (at least not all of them) though they're still needed to amp up the flavours.

The Grilled Unagi Tamago Don @ RM32.90 is meant for fans of both eel and egg....and I'm one of them, of course.  Filled with grilled-to-order unagi and fluffy tamago sitting on a bed of steamed calrose rice made more fragrant with a sprinkling of chopped nori and furikake.

I've always enjoyed the good quality unagi here that's well-charred and smoky in flavour though I got my not-so-favoured lower part of the eel this time.  As for the tamago, I would have preferred to get a whole piece intact rather than having it cut up like shredded omelette, thus losing a bit of bite.

My Personal Opinion

I like pretty much everything I had so far (in all my visits) though some feel the portions are a bit small but they tend to forget also that the prices charged are very reasonable (with most under RM25) for the quality given, so I think the portion sizes are justifiable.  Order two if you have a bigger appetite (RM50 is still a bargain for a good Japanese meal, don't you think?) :P

This will be my new go-to branch from now on since I prefer the atmosphere here although finding a parking space won't be as easy.  I also like the friendlier (and more engaging) service of the staff in this branch.  I'll be back for more! ^o^

Eatomo Food Co
No 21 Jalan Telawi 2
Bangsar Baru
59100 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: 03-2202 3280

10 comments:

  1. Wow! This new outlet has a very interesting ambiance with greens and creative decorations that would interest me! I must be blind like a bat as I was in that vicinity last weekend for the gym upstairs before doing my grocery at Cold Storage below! I did not even notice there is a new EATOMO there. I will drop by to eat something on my next coming visit. TQ!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you can eat (more) at Eatomo after a good workout at the gym :)

      Delete
  2. I haven't been to any of the branches. Thanks for the peak inside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i became a happier eatomo fan this year cos they're now on grabfood in my neighbourhood - so i've been ordering the mentaiko fries, gyutandon, pokelantan bowl and masago pasta for delivery from their taman desa branch. they pack them pretty well, so they arrive nice, warm and fresh after the 20-minute journey to my home :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No wonder I saw people coming in to pick up food, at both branches, when I was having dinner there. I think the poke and rice bowls will be good for delivery.

      Delete
  4. This is one place that I have been wanting to visit (I can see that it's a firm favorite of yours) and Bangsar is accessible to me. I am eyeing the Gyutan Aglio Olio and Wok-Fired Spicy Gyutandon. It will have to wait till my dad gets better as my Saturdays are spent at my brother's and we eat it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since you like robust and spicy flavours (and lots of cili api), I'm quite certain this spicy gyutan will be right up your alley. ^.^

      Delete
  5. i found that the beef tongue pasta & rice bowl are interesting but I think I cannot stand the spiciness :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then be like me, pick out the cili api...one by one (good food takes patience...haha)! The resulting heat (not much without the cili api) is just nice :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...