Pages

Thursday 25 July 2024

#ewew cooks Minced Meat Omelette

I can "hear" some of you saying already....what, Minced Meat OmeletteAiyah, that's such a simple recipe...everyone can do that but I was inspired to post this when I was confronted with phonghongbakes' minced beef omelette that looked more like stir-fried minced beef with egg instead....wakakakaka!

Since she cooks that quite often as it's a simple dish for her carnivore way of eating, I thought I'd share how I do it in the hope that she can get a better-looking omelette...but not necessarily a better-tasting one (^_~) + I also have a little story to share about this particular dish.

I used to make my minced meat omelette just like everyone else (usually with minced pork but you can also you minced beef or chicken).  I fry the minced pork first to get it cooked and lightly charred (for extra fragrance).  Sometimes I would add chopped onions or bell pepper and all that have to be cooked until soft first as well.  Then I pour in the beaten eggs! ;)

That was before.  Then I realised the minced meat doesn't stick so well to the eggs.  This is especially so if your pan is large and you don't use enough eggs, the beaten eggs end up as a thin coat around the pan, not enough to hold on to the meat.  So, when you try to flip the omelette, the meat tend to fall off and scatter around the pan making it look more like stir-fried minced meat with scrambled eggs...lol!

Now I do it this way
.  After frying the minced meat, onions or veggies (depending on the omelette you're making), I scoop them up and add it to my beaten eggs (that's in a bowl) and give it a good stir.  That way, all the meat/veggies get coated and stick to the egg, hence they won't fall off so easily.  Then I pour the whole mixture back into the oiled pan (sometimes there's remnant oil from frying the meat, so you may not even have to add more oil) and spread out the contents into an even layer.

So, here's my little tip.  Wait for the eggs to set a little (not necessary for it to be fully cooked though) and then cut your omelette into quarters with your spatula.  It's much easier to flip this way...a quarter rather than a full omelette (actually PH's omelette looks good until she got to the stage of flipping it and it became like scrambled eggs...lol, so hopefully this tip helps).  For my 26cm pan, I can even make a good minced meat omelette with just two eggs though three would be more ideal for a thicker omelette.  

And there you have it....a minced meat omelette that looks more like an omelette rather than stir-fried scrambled eggs...lol!  Note that the uneven browning on the omelette is due to my pan being a little warped from usage, otherwise it should be beautifully and evenly browned. ^_*

Of course it would look even more presentable if the omelette was in one whole piece.  That is also achievable but safe the hassle if you're cooking it for your own consumption.  To get the omelette whole, you have to invert it onto a plate and then slide it back into the pan.  Too much work, right?  Let's leave that to the restaurants, shall we? ;D

Apportioning your omelette into quarters also has its advantage if there's 3 or 4 of you...each one gets a piece (or a quarter) or, in my case, my husband gets two pieces! ;)

I can't remember how I "discovered" this way of making it (I must have seen someone doing it somewhere) but since discovering this method, I continue to cook it this way even if I'm making a vegetable omelette (with french beans or onions).  I fry the french beans or sliced onions first before adding them to the beaten egg. And if I'm making a coriander omelette, I just snip the Chinese parsley directly into the egg mixture. Hopefully this little tip I've shared will result in your omelette not breaking apart! :D  Try it out and see if this method works for you. ^_~

Now coming back to the little story I wanted to share about this minced pork omelette.  It was during the early days of my restrictive diet when I was really trying to cut out as much carbs as possible + I was also due for an after-meal blood glucose test at Caring (that was before I got my own test kit).  Hoping for a good reading, I chose to have a minced meat omelette for lunch (without any rice/carbs).

Wrong move
!  I already felt something amiss when I was at Caring.  I started to sweat (even with air-conditioning) though my hands weren't trembling yet but I knew something was not quite right.  I told myself I better eat something quickly after my test at CaringHoly moly, my glucose reading was at 3.8 (my pharmacist was alarmed...and concerned)!  It was below the minimum range permissible for fasting (4.2) or non-fasting (4.4) levels.  I was experiencing hypoglycemia (as confirmed by my doctor at a visit later when I told him about the incident) which, in layman terms, is low blood sugar! >.<  I went next door to Family Mart and got myself a (white bread) sandwich and chomped it down immediately...and felt so much better after that.

Moral of the story...I've learnt my lesson not to omit carbs from any of my meals (must at least have a little) as my body can't seem to handle it.  Even with my restrictive diet of wanting to cut out carbs and sugar, I can have less carbs.....but not to the extent of no carbs at all. ^_~

8 comments:

  1. You had me laughing after reading the first paragraph of your post hah..hah..hah... I know, I know, my omelette is hopeless hee..hee... BUT I shall try out your method of mixing the cooked ingredients into the eggs first before pouring the egg mixture into the pan (and cutting into quarters). Many thanks for your tips, I definitely need help wahahaha!

    Oh dear, dear. Your sugar level dropped so low when you don't consume carbs. That's quite dangerous as it may lead to fainting. I guess you are more sensitive than I am. I can function quite well on a low or almost zero carb diet although there was an initial period of adjustment of about 10-14 days when I felt fatigued and light headed (what is referred to as the Atkins flu or keto flu).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't seem to cope without carbs. That's why when I have only salads, I'll be hungry (or my hands will shake) within the next 2 hours. >.<

      Lol....hope my little tip works for you! ;) Will we see the "new improved" omelette from you then? :D

      Delete
  2. Omelette can be such a versatile dish that you can cook it using minced pork or beef or chicken or french beans/sliced onions or coriander. My mom loves to cook them with sliced onions. Easy Peasy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, omelette is a very versatile dish...one can do it practically with just about any ingredient these days...la la/oyster, taugeh, chives, char siew/lap cheong, bitter gourd, prawns (my favourite), etc. It's a dish that everyone turns to for their 2nd or 3rd dish when cooking a meal for the family. Sliced onions is the most common/basic omelette most of us grew up eating.

      Delete
  3. Do you believe that I never cook minced meat omelet? LOL
    When think about omelet, my recipe will be limited to onion omelet, french/long beans omelet or Choy Poh omelet, because this is a "last minute dish" usually appear when the food isn't sufficient for that day. So for sure I don't have thawed minced meat for minced meat omelet. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I believe you coz to make minced meat omelette, it has to be plannned in order to have thawed meat ready. When it's a last minute dish (like you said), it's usually an onion (or coriander) omelette for me coz I seldom have french/long beans in my fridge but coriander I usually always have. ^_~

      Delete
  4. Omelettes are versatile—cook them with minced pork, beef, chicken, or veggies like French beans, onions, or coriander. My mom's favorite is with sliced onions. Simple and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carbless life is not greattttt, the omelete looks interesting tho!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...