Pages

Monday 20 November 2023

Lam Kee Wantan Mee @ Taman Muda

I first tasted this excellent wantan mee by chance when I ordered it through ShopeeFood and blogged about it here...and it remains one of my favourite go-to delivery for wantan mee.

So, I came with my husband one morning to Lam Kee Wantan Mee @ Taman Muda (to the stall proper) for a dine-in breakfast.  I listed it previously as Taman Seraya coz that was the address provided in ShopeeFood but Google address lists it as Taman Muda (these two taman must be right next to one another).

Taman Muda is home to a morning market, so it's extra crowded during the mornings with people doing their marketing.  That said, be prepared to encounter difficulty in finding parking as well as seats as the food places here are packed with market goers hungry for breakfast after completing their marketing spree.

The place is a pretty small stall situated in the centre of the street known as wai sek kai or glutton street (with access from both sides, meaning you can walk through or enter and exit onto the street from both sides).  Be prepared to wait for a table (especially during peak breakfast hours) since the place is very small (with no more than 10 tables suitable for small groups of 2 - 4 pax).  Luckily, we didn't have to wait too long though 15 minutes felt like an eternity standing in that tiny space (and under the sun occasionally).

Once we got our seat (and being familiar with what they have since I've ordered it through delivery before), I quickly ordered two plates of wantan mee and a side of soup dumplings for the two of us.  I got the Char Siew Wantan Mee @ RM8.50 (estimated) for my husband.

It was as good as when I ordered it through delivery.  The lean but very tender char siew was well caramelised with good flavours.  I'm sure some would prefer a slightly fattier char siew but I was perfectly fine with it as long as it's tender...and it was irreproachably tender.  Just look at the glistening, charred end...so yum! ^.^

Even better than the char siew wantan mee was the Pork Ribs Wantan Mee @ RM9.50 (estimated) which is very popular here.  Many wantan mee stalls offer char siew but only a few would have pork ribs on their menu.

Although the ribs are not fall-off-the-bone tender like baby back ribs, they were still downright tender, sticky and sweet (but not too sweet) with a perfect caramelisation to bring out its fragrant and smoky flavours.  It was so good that you'd want to lick every last bit of sauce from your chopsticks, fingers or bones on the ribs!  Of course one would hope for more char siew or pork ribs but seeing the price and good taste, I'm willing to conveniently forget that little flaw. ^o^

The wantan mee is cooked to the right texture with a nice bite and the black sauce that's well balanced between savoury and sweet complements the noodles very well.  The soup wantans, with a filling of just minced pork, were meaty and plump.

Our extra order of Soup Dumplings were also adequately filled with pork mince and and you can see (and taste) the sizeable chopped fresh prawns in the mix.  Only downside was the soup tasting a bit too peppery.

Our breakfast came to RM26.20 in total for two plates of wantan mee with soup dumplings and a kopi-o-ping making up the balance.  Besides char siew and pork ribs, they also offer poached chickenchicken feet & mushrooms and curry chicken wantan mee (the latter is served separately in a bowl).

Just to entice you further and make you drool, we were fortunate to be there at the right time to catch this sight of awesomeness....of the charcoal-roasted char siew and pork ribs coming out of the roasting oven. Confirmation then that it's charcoal-roasted (no wonder it tastes so good) coz I saw a pile of charcoal ash left behind (underneath the roaster).  This turned out to be the last batch to be made for the day (as we saw the roaster being carried away to be kept in a house opposite their stall).  This stunning tray of well caramelised strips of char siew is certainly a thing of beauty...I want to take you home lah! ;P

Equally beautiful was this big bowl of smoky, caramelised ribs beside the char siew, sitting in a pool of sticky-sweet black sauce, that's enough to get anyone salivating (only those not freaked out by the overly dark caramelisation, of course).  The man tasked with the prepping of the meat was seen basting the sauce over and over again on the slabs of meat.  That's liquid gold rght there...which will offer a lovely sticky glaze over the ribs when served (we probably might even get a little spooned over the sauce for the noodles for that extra umami flavour).

My Personal Opinion

This is a very good spot for char siew wantan mee....but an even greater spot for pork ribs wantan mee if you're in the area.  The pork ribs are not to be missed.  If the photos of the glossy, well caramelised char siew and pork ribs don't get you salivating, I don't know what will! ^_~

But having to wait for a table and getting stuck in traffic afterwards (due to the morning rush of market goers) isn't something I look forward to particularly.  Better to just tapau get my husband to tapau or order delivery...lol.  They say it's one of the best wantan mee in Cheras and I've to agree it's right up there with some of the good ones I've tried elsewhere.  Who doesn't want a piece of charcoal-roasted meat, eh? ;)

Lam Kee Wantan Mee
Jalan Bunga Tanjung 10A
Taman Muda
Cheras
56100 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: 012-648 1266

6 comments:

  1. Looking closely at your photos, I think I would love to eat this Wantan Noodles too. The noodles looked very thin and that's what I prefer as many tend to be fatter or overcooked. It has to be perfectly cooked to please me. I think it looks even better than Annie-1's!!

    I am just like you who prefers the burnt edges of well caramelised Char Siew. Yums!! 😍😍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those burnt parts (but not overly burnt until they become rock hard lah) are the tastiest bits...even more so as they're charcoal roasted.

      Better than Annie 1's wantan mee? Likely so though Annie 1 is pretty decent too. The standout here is the wonderful caramelisation they achieve on both the pork ribs and char siew.

      Delete
  2. When I looked at that tray of char siew, the first thought that came to my mind was "I want to take that home!" and then I saw what you wrote "I want to take you home lah!" hah..hah..hah... I want to take that basin of ribs home too kih..kih..kih... Too bad I don't venture out to Cheras or else I would love to have a taste! I too love the burnt parts, they are the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like how you think...hah...hah..great (or wai sek) minds think alike! ;)

      Delete
  3. I live this type of Char Siew, well caramelized and sweet. But seem like the black sauce was slightly insufficient to coat evenly the whole portion of noodles, did it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they don't have time to toss the noodles evenly with the sauce...lol (they'd want you to "cepat cepat" eat and vacate your table for those waiting coz the place is so small). The noodles weren't short on flavour.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...