Pages

Thursday 12 August 2021

#ewew cooks Siakap a Few Ways

Since the pandemic started and with the numerous lockdowns and various MCOs that we've been subjected to, I've hardly had the opportunity to go to my usual wet market vendor to get fresh fish and prawns.  I'm not talking about the small wet market in my neighbourhood but a slightly bigger wet market in a neighbouring taman (housing area).

Instead, I've had to settle for frozen fish delivery from Vfresh....but the experience wasn't always positive.  I know I can't compare frozen with fresh but I'd still want it to be at least of acceptable freshness.  Nothing beats fresh fish from the wet markets which I much prefer but (from experience) I've come to realise that their farm-raised fish is a better bet than wild-caught fish (aka fish from the sea)....and I now only limit myself to buying salmon, tilapia or siakap from Vfresh.

And here are just some of the ways I would cook the frozen siakap (also called Asian Sea Bass or Barramundi) that I get, RM13/pc (about 500g, good enough for 2 portions).  These recipes were chosen to ensure the taste does not suffer too much in case the frozen fish is not always as sufficiently fresh as we'd like it to be.

#1 - Steamed Asian Sea Bass Thai-Style

One of the popular ways of cooking a fresh piece of whole siakap is to steam it Thai-style.  In Thai restaurants, you'd usually get a steamed whole fish and served fancily in an elevated fish-shaped pan over a small flame (to keep the fish hot while you eat just like Chinese-style steamed fish).

But here I'm doing it with (half a) frozen Asian see bass (about 300g)...and mine is not so fancy-lah....served on a plate only (haha!).  Although I was quite happy with the freshness of this piece of frozen sea bass, a recipe like this is able to mask any fishiness that the fish may have with a sauce/broth that has the sourness of lime juice, pungency of freshly chopped garlic and fieriness of red/green bird's eye chillies.

You can use plain water for the sauce but a chicken stock will certainly elevate the taste.  If you don't have a ready-made chicken stock in hand, fret not as you can just dissolve some chicken stock powder in water for a happy medium (and a much simpler preparation).

For the sauce, just boil 1/2 tsp chicken stock powder with 1 cup of water (about 250ml) and add some sugar (palm sugar if you have, I used 1 tsp regular sugar).  Once the sugar is dissolved, let it cool slightly before adding finely chopped garlic (3 cloves), bird's eye chillies (I used 1 red + 3 green) and chopped coriander along with the juice of 1 lime (about 3 tsp) and fish sauce (if you have, otherwise 2 tsp Chinese soy will do). The sauce ingredients is an estimate, find the right balance for your taste buds depending if you like it more sour, sweet, spicy or salty (which is the hallmark of any Thai dish).

Stir and do a test taste...it should be sour but balanced with a hint of sweetness.  Tweak the seasoning until you get the balance right and once you're happy with the outcome, pour it over your steaming hot fish (with a little bit more fresh coriander on top).  I was more than happy with the subtle sweetness, mild and delicate flavour of the sea bass coupled with the refreshing, uplifting sauce which is more like a soup really. My broth may look a little darker than the usual Thai-style steamed fish but that's because I didn't use Thai fish sauce which is lighter coloured than Chinese soy.  Half a siakap fillet is the perfect portion for one person with a bowl of rice...yum! ;)

#2 - Pan-Fried Spiced Barramundi with Potato Salad

If you get your hands on a fresh piece of barramundi fillet, you don't have to do much to it really.  Just pan-fry with salt and black pepper is good enough but since mine is frozen, I added more robust seasonings like garlic powder, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper and dried parsley.  This is like my take on a seriously muted Carribbean-style pan-fried fish (minus the hot peppers...haha!).

I served this with a potato salad of boiled potato chunks and blanched green beans.  I decided to "listen" to David Rocco to skip the heavy mayo to go with this lighter version tossed in olive oil, lemon juice (I used limes) and minced garlic (well, just a touch David says but, hey, we're Chinese...and we love our garlic!) seasoned with salt and freshly cracked black pepper which turned out light and delicious.

The fish had a light crisp on the skin (I didn't dust it with some type of flour before shallow frying, otherwise the skin would have been crispier).  Seasoning the fish with a good dose of herbs and spices is a good way to cook frozen fish to take away the fishy taste (if any).  This makes for a super healthy light lunch served with an equally healthy potato salad (you know I need my potatoes for a fuller meal). ^.^

#3 - Stir-Fried Black Pepper Siakap with Capsicum & Onions

Buoyed by the tastiness of my recent black pepper pork stir-fry, I did the same with the frozen siakap I had in my freezer.  Cooking frozen fish that may not be as fresh with black pepper is a good way to hide the fishiness (and this piece I got from Vfresh was, let's just say, less desirable). >_<

I dusted the siakap slices (try not to cut too thinly) with some cornflour before pan-frying them separately in some oil.  This was because siakap can be quite flaky and moving it around too much during the stir-frying process will certainly break up the fish.

Then I sauteed some chopped onions till soft and translucent before adding the cubed green and red capsicum.  Don't overcook the capsicums as they should stay relatively crunchy to the bite.  Return the cooked fish slices followed by freshly cracked (or coarsely pounded) black pepper.  You can add as much black pepper as you like, a drizzle of dark soy (just a little for colour) and season with salt.  Just mix everything in gently (without stirring the fish slices too much otherwise the fish will disintegrate to small pieces) and the end result is a dish that's both pretty and colourful.

#4 - Fried Siakap with Fresh Chilli Paste

Actually, one of the best ways to use a piece of frozen siakap that isn't of the best quality is to deep-fry it. The fishiness in a crispy, deep-fried fish is not as apparent as when the fish is steamed or stir-fried.  On most days, serving it simply in a sauce of oil, soy and fried garlic or fried ginger shreds is already good enough.

But not this time, as I was feeling slightly more hardworking, so I cooked it with a spicy fresh chilli paste. You just need to saute the chilli paste in oil until it darkens and smells fragrant.  I added a little bit of water to make the sauce slightly wetter.  Spoon it over the fried fish and top it with some fried ginger shreds.

I really enjoyed this one with crispy skin and moist, flaky meat. ^o^  The slightly spicy chilli paste (and ginger shreds) made the fish very appetising indeed and, at the same time, masked any evident fishiness that may be present.

Another good idea is to get your favourite vegetable curry from a restaurant or chap fan stall and add your own fish at home (unless you know how to make a good curry and you don't mind the work entailed in making one from scratch).  The spicy curry will help to drown out any lingering fishiness.  This is what I call a cheat dish but it works too...lol.

Even if we can't get the freshest fish (during these pandemic times when the wet markets are closed), we can still do something worthwhile and turn it into something delicious...we just need to be smart on how best to cook the frozen fish for a good outcome.  Hopefully, some of the ideas/recipes I've shared here will inspire you to cook a fish dish even if you have less than stellar quality fish. ^_~

11 comments:

  1. I like all your siakap dishes, especially the first one because it has loads of coriander hee..hee... followed by the fried siakap with fresh chili paste, stir fried black pepper siakap and pan fried spiced Barramundi. I haven't bought anything from VFresh for quite some time now mostly because my freezer is quite full. Perhaps when I have the opportunity I will try the siakap. I have never done steamed fish the way you do, only tried plain steamed salmon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, this is my first time trying this style of steaming (I usually make steamed fish with soy sauce and garlic or onion oil)...and found it to be really good (especially for coriander lovers like us). Your top two picks also happens to be my top favourites too.

      Delete
  2. Talking about fish today, I have fish in my blog post too! I am good with names of fish, those which I am familiar with are salmon, codfish, sea bass, batang fish and pomfret. All your 4 dishes of fish look so presentable and yummy. Got standard lah. I love to have some coriander on my fish. My votes go to your fish dish #1 and #3 as I love flavourful dishes and Thai style steamed fish. Slurps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I just read that post of yours (I see you ate sea bass too). I'm better at fish names than recognising the fish. So many of them look almost the same that it's difficult to differentiate them. My fish dishes got standard?...why, thank you for your compliments! ^_~

      Delete
  3. I always thought that Thai style steamed fish is fish + gravy steaming together, now I know how it works, hehe :P
    I always steam it when I bought whole Siakap, easy and simple aka lazy, LOL
    I like the look of your black pepper fish fillet but I never fillet the whole fish myself, does it difficult to work on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if that's how the fish is done (but I did see it done this way in one of the recipes I saw online). Perhaps, there are those who'd steam it together too but I thought it'd be best to discard the murky liquid that comes out of steamed fish, otherwise the broth will not be as clear.
      Oh no, I'm not that skillful lah to fillet a whole fish myself (I leave that to the Masterchef contents...lol). My bought fish comes already filleted (I've now included a pic of the frozen fish fillet into my post just so you can see how it looks like when it arrives).

      Delete
  4. *correction, typo error, I am not good with the names of fish lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was once very familiar with eating frozen fishes and seafood when I was a student in US as many states do not have ocean. I was taken aback to see everyone eaten fake crab meat too. In the end I had to eat fish at restaurants or boarding school's cafeteria. I only bought chicken and pork to cook later on.
    It is a blessing to have real wet wet markets in Malaysia! Vfresh is definitely the best answer for now.

    I love to eat fish more than any other meat like chicken or pork. Deep fried fishes are my top favourite as I could chew all the fins and tails until skeleton left. Hahaha.

    Your steamed Asian Sea Bass Thai Style is definitely appetizing with all the generous sprinkled coriander, garlic, chillies and lime juice sauce. I miss my Mama!!! Aroi mak mak.

    Fried Siakap with fresh chilli paste is another yummy dish of yours, I could finish a whole siakap like this because it has been deep fried and fragrant.

    Tomorrow I will go to Hero Market instead of wet market to buy siakap fish! I am avoiding our wet market due to frequent Covid cases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, fish is also my first choice for proteins and love it over other meat just like you...and I also super love fish if they're deep-fried or pan-fried for that crispy edge.

      Sorry-lah that my Thai-style fish stirred up memories of your mother. I'm sure you miss her very much and miss her steamed fish too.

      Siakap fish is not one I'd get from the wet market though as they're sold whole, not filleted like this. I prefer to eat just the flesh with no bones to contend with. ^_~

      Delete
  6. All the different ways of cooking also I'd not say no to!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...