Pages

Wednesday 14 July 2021

Just One Food - Kawan Roti Paratha

Roti Paratha (or more commonly known as roti prata in Singapore and roti canai in Malaysia) is an Indian-influenced flatbread that's a well-loved hawker food and popular breakfast dish here in Malaysia.

I won't even call it a breakfast dish (though that's when it is eaten most often) as people from all walks of life eat it the whole day round...for breakfast, lunch, tea, dinner and supper!   I think its popularity stems from the fact that it's a very affordable meal.  For between RM1 - RM1.50, you can have a roti kosong (as in plain) or roti telur (with egg) for RM2 - RM2.50.  I've seen families of six or more dining out for lunch or dinner on just these.  What can I say, it's one of the most affordable meals around when cost is a factor...more so now in times of despair for destitute families! 

This round, circular disc of sumptuousness is one of the things I miss eating during this pandemic.  Before the pandemic struck, it has been my once-a-week (if I'm naughty) or once in two weeks (preferably) indulgence for breakfast.  It's obvious that one has to resist the temptation of eating this too often for health reasons. But the other reason (brought on by the pandemic) is that I have to be cautious of eating these in mamak restaurants knowing that the majority of them are foreign workers (from India) who (most probably) stay in cramped and undesirable living conditions coz many of these employers exploit their workers to keep their costs low.  So, pardon my precaution lah (I even know of a neighbour who forbids her husband to go to any mamak restaurant during the pandemic...lol).

So, I was pleasantly surprised when my husband brought home a packet of Kawan Roti Paratha that his sister gave him.  Hmmm, what is this frozen paratha?  I've never had them before but I've seen them selling in supermarkets (along with some other brands).  I thought why would I want to buy frozen roti canai when I have access to fresh ones.  Well, that was before the pandemic....these are desperate times...which calls for desperate measures....lol.  So, frozen roti canai will have to do...for now.

This is Kawan's (Plain) Roti Paratha (RM4.99) in green packaging.  One pack has 5 frozen pieces packed individually between two sheets of plastic.

There are instructions on the packaging that you can follow but I didn't.  Anyway, how difficult can it be?  So I sprayed a little oil on my non-stick pan, peeled off the plastic and put the frozen disc in.  You can skip the oil part, of course, as the roti itself would have been oiled.

Now, the instructions (on the packaging) are a bit vague but I think I was supposed to cook the roti for 1 1/2 minutes on each side....but I ended up needing 6 - 8 minutes....8 minutes on medium-low heat (90°C - 120°C) for the first piece (and a little less time for subsequent pieces once the pan was sufficiently heated up).  Wait for a good 2 minutes for the roti to firm up before flipping for the first time.
  
Visually, you'll know when it's done when the roti puffs up and browns nicely.  You may need to press down on the roti so that the dough makes contact with the heat of the pan in order for it to have a more even browning.

One instruction that is key (and must be followed) is to not thaw the roti as it'll turn soft and sticky.  In fact, I would suggest you take out just one piece at a time from the freezer to cook.  This is because the roti defrosts very quickly once out of the freezer....even before your first piece of roti is cooked.  Once they become sticky-soft, it's much harder to peel them off the two sheets of plastic.

I was skeptical at first to think that the roti can be successfully cooked from frozen state but it was amazing to see just how fast that could be achieved.  I remember being equally surprised when I watched something similar being cooked this way (the Taiwanese scallion pancake from Liang Sandwich Bar).  Same concept! ;)

Once it's done, you need to fluff it up (you can do it by using your spatula and a pair of tongs or chopsticks). But I decided to do it like how the roti canai man does it....by clapping it together with both hands while it's still hot (for that authentic feeling....kekeke).  I did feel that there was a difference in texture when I ate it without fluffing the roti....it was, well....not as fluffy. :P

The frozen roti paratha turned out a lot better than I expected.  It was light, airy and crispy.  Taste wise, I would have liked if the roti was a bit more seasoned but otherwise it was good.

The light and airy texture of the roti means you can probably eat more than one unlike the more doughy and greasy roti canai at most mamak stalls/restaurants where one is more than sufficient (at least for me).

Buoyed by the better than expected taste of this frozen roti canai, I decided to pick up two other variations when I was at the supermarket recently.  First up was the Onion Paratha (RM5.59) differentiated by their red packaging.

When I bought this, I didn't know if the onion meant big onions (like what they put into roti telur) or scallions (spring onions).  When I opened the package, turned out it was spring onions (much like Liang's scallions sandwich).

Did it taste any different from the plain paratha?  Not really....as the spring onions taste was practically non-existent.  So, no need to pay extra for the onion version in my opinion lah....hehe.

Because of the more doughy nature of a roti canai, I've always had a preference for a roti telur than a roti kosong.  So, why not add an egg to this frozen roti, I thought.  Of course, unlike a roti telur where the egg is encased between the dough, this is not possible with the frozen roti.  So, I beat up an egg (season the egg please!) and poured it into my pan before putting a fluffed up roti on top (before the egg sets).  Let the egg cook through and flip it a few times to ensure the egg is nicely browned.

Note that it's important for the roti to be sufficiently browned and fluffed up before adding it to the egg. That's because I made it once by putting the roti on top of the egg (without cooking the roti long enough and fluffing it first) and ended up with a denser texture....not so enjoyable.  I then re-read my Liang Sandwich Bar post and realised I went about cooking it the wrong way.

Taking a leaf from how Liang's scallion sandwich with egg is made (except minus the sauce), I followed suit. Maybe it was in my head but I thought the version with egg still rendered the roti slightly less fluffy coz it lost some of that crispiness compared to the plain ones.

When I was eating it, I couldn't help but wished I had some dhal or curry to go with it as it can get a bit dry. So, next time if you have some leftover curry (that you bought unless you're the Curry Queen who can cook her own delicious curries)...don't throw it away as you might want to eat it with a Kawan...hehe! ;)

The other variation was the Flakey Paratha (RM5.59) differentiated by blue packaging.  The frozen discs looked similar to the plain paratha.

But I noticed the difference when frying the roti as it puffed up more than the plain paratha.  Let me show you a side view of the roti.  When I fluffed the roti between my hands, it felt like it had thinner and more layers.

Let me tear out a piece of the roti to show you how thin the layers are.  The texture of this one was definitely flakier and crispier too.  You might want to think twice before buying/cooking them for your kids as the super crispy texture will mean messier eating with the crisp bits flying everywhere! ;P

Did I enjoy the flakier and crispier texture?  Not necessarily so.  It's not how I like my roti canai to be...I do like it crispy but not overly crispy.  So, it really depends on what texture you like your roti to be.

The key to how enjoyable your roti paratha is hinges on how well it's cooked.  I would suggest you try to do it like how you see Liang Sandwich Bar workers do it....and that's by pressing gently down on the roti and flipping it constantly (perhaps not as constantly as how Liang does it).  This will allow the roti the opportunity to puff up nicely and brown as evenly as possible leading to a fluffy, airy roti.

In fact, this Kawan Roti Paratha has an uncanny similarity to Liang Sandwich which a reader of mine alluded me in my Liang Sandwich Bar post some 3 years ago.  I didn't get any to try then as I duly forgot about the comment, so this Kawan roti has been around for quite a while.  Now you don't have to pay more for a Liang Sandwich when you can have an exact cheaper option of Kawan Roti Paratha....hehehe!

My husband's friend has been telling him for some time how good this Kawan Roti Paratha is....but only the plain one (and I have to agree).  After trying all 3 variations of Kawan's Roti Paratha (not sure if there are more variations than these three)...and a version with egg, I enjoyed the plain paratha the most.  But if you want to eat it like one of those Liang's sandwiches, by all means, you can have it with egg or some type of filling...whatever rocks your boat!  Me, I don't want to muck around with something that's already good, just keep it plain and simple! ^_~

Of course it doesn't beat eating a freshly made roti canai (accompanied by some delicious fish curry, dhal and sambal which is a must for some people) but this comes close.  Imagine having a light, fluffy, airy and less greasy roti at your disposal in your freezer available to you at any time of the day...sounds wonderful?

But it can also be a little scary (come to think of it) that this snack indulgence is just a hop, skip, and a jump away...coz limiting this to once a week is going to be extremely difficult...resistance is futile, they say (the only way is to not stock them in your fridge....hah...hah).  Looks like I found a new kawan.....kekeke! ^o^

16 comments:

  1. kawan....satu roti canai pleasseeee!!! LOL! i just read PH's beef curry dish and now seeing the roti canai post over here....like continuation of cooking a perfect 'roti canai + curry gravy dish'! i have seen some elderly eating roti canai with sugar though i think that's waste as i prefer it to be savoury. Thanks for the roti telur tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kawan...can, can! Elderly eating roti canai with sugar? Yes, it would go very well with PH's beef or chicken curry. I thought it's the kids who like it with sugar. I can see you enjoy roti canai (based on your food delivery) and now you can have it in your freezer and cook one anytime you want (if got leftover curry, lagi best lah!).

      Delete
  2. I have tried this Kawan Paratha before. That was really years and years ago and I did not like it. I reckon I may not have prepared it correctly and that's why it did not turn out nice. Seeing how your paratha turned out so lovey and brown and fluffed (I used to like seeing how the roti canai man does it), I am motivated to give this frozen paratha another try. But have to wait for after EMCO because I don't think my partner can locate this paratha at the supermarket. He will be super stressed hah..hah.. Oh, thanks for the mention paiseh..paiseh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The packaging says...new and improved! Maybe it's nicer now? LOL Since you'd most probably be freezing some of your beef or chicken curry, it would be so nice for you to have this roti paratha in your freezer. Ya lor, don't send him to buy things he has never bought before as he'll spend ages looking for it and you would want him to do the grocery shopping as fast as possible.

      Delete
  3. Hip Hip Hooray! I was grinning from cheek to cheek to see Roti Paratha. The last time I bought the ready-made pack was over 10 years ago when it just arrived at supermarkets. I stopped buying it since I could enjoy being served by the mamak, very fresh and hot. I ate them so often and became friends with the Chennai workers near my home. One day I accidentally found several tiny hairs inside my roti. OMG! Eewww! I looked at the Chennai guys and all had hairy arms like gorillas! I told them off for the unhygienic cooking. I don't know how much hair balls I had eaten. No wonder they tasted different with added ingredients. Muahahahaha

    I will go to the supermarket tomorrow to look for this Kawan Roti Paratha! I prefer the Flakey and Plain ones. I have always requested the mamak to make my Roti Kosong real crispy and slightly burnt! Nice to eat with sugar too.

    Kawan here I come!!!!

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You ate hairballs? I thought only my Cookie swallows hairballs! :D Got hairball gel to pass out the hairballs...hehe! ;) Aiks, you're so graphic, now I can never look at a roti canai the same again! >_< Oh, I see you're one of those who likes to eat it with sugar.

      Yes kawan, go get one. Make sure you fry them properly until crispy. I also request for my roti canai at mamak stalls to be lebih garing, lebih sedap! ^.^

      Delete
  4. I've converted to buy Taiwanese scallion pancake (Chong You Bing like Liang Sandwich Bar) since my first purchase from FB live platform. Instead of eating it plain like Roti Canai, I also used it like a puff pastry with wrapping sausage and made it into sausage roll.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see you like to eat Taiwanese scallion pancakes like a Liang Sandwich then...with fillings. Perhaps you can try to put the filling into a Kawan roti paratha and see if there's any difference and if you like it :)

      Delete
  5. One more plus point of eating frozen and home cooked prata is they are more hygienic, lol at TM's comment. Did you flip them into the air like how the mamak did it? Lol.

    I prefer the plain and original one too, yums!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I can only fluff them like how the mamak do with their hands but not canggih enough to flip them into the air. That one need to practise first..lol! :D

      Delete
  6. I tried their chapati too but at the end their pratha is the best I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, they have chapati too? I won't be needing to try that since I don't really like chapati. :P

      Delete
  7. If you go to the Mamak shop and order roti tampal, that’s how they will do it, fry an egg on the roti canai

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks for pointing out to me that there's such a thing called roti tampal. Didn't know we could order it like that at the mamak shop.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the review! Am also deciding whether to buy one for this pandemic. Now i have decided to jus buy the plain one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to be of help. Hope you enjoy your Kawan roti paratha :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...