Pages

Wednesday 30 June 2021

Loke Yun Chicken Rice @ Ampang

I would occasionally receive discount vouchers from FoodPanda and this normally happens (I notice) after a break in orders from them for a period of time.  The value of the discount vouchers given usually varies from RM5 - RM15 with differing minimum order amounts...and I've been on the receiving end of a few of them in the past.

So, when I was presented with a Welcome Back voucher of RM15 value to be used with a minimum order of RM40, I decided to redeem it for food from Loke Yun Chicken Rice in Ampang.

Loke Yun Chicken Rice
 is a long established name (since 1971)...winning the accolade of "Best Hainanese Chicken Rice" as I read in the Star papers (but that was way back in 2008 lah!).  I've passed by the place numerous times but have never eaten there coz my family is not into poached chicken + my sister-in-law (who's from the area) didn't quite sing its praises either.

I got myself a Poached Chicken Thigh Rice @ RM12.90.  They did justice to the poached chicken thigh which turned out tender and tasty seeing that this was just the regular farmed chicken, not even choi yin kai or kampung chicken.  Shop prices for half (regular) chicken is RM28 while quarter chicken is RM18 (FoodPanda's price is RM28 for quarter chicken).  

The chicken rice came with both a soy sauce and a freshly blended chilli sauce, separately packed.  The soy sauce was of a decent quality though slightly salty for my taste buds but alright when eaten together with the rice.  The chilli dip was quite different from the usual ones I've had as this one had a tad more blended ginger paste taste in it.  This fresh chilli paste was coarse and spicy (spicier than usual ones)...but I detected a light bitter aftertaste.  Not among the best chicken rice chilli dips I've had but it was still relished just because there was so little of it.

There's an option to add on soup (RM2.50), chilli sauce (RM0.80) and ginger sauce (RM0.80).  Well, this is a first for me, a chicken rice shop that charges for soup (RM2.50)? O_o  That's not right, if you ask me! Furthermore, no ginger sauce came with my chicken rice (not sure if it was left out accidentally or I had to add that on as an extra!), so I didn't get to taste it. >_<

I got an extra serving of rice @ RM3.90 (rather pricey for just rice) since I ordered a few side dishes to go with my meal (with the intention of keeping some for dinner).  The had nicely separated grains with a fragrant enough dose of chicken flavour going through it.

Of course, Loke Yun is more popular for its offering of Corn Fed Chicken (choi yin kai or kampung chicken) but that is only offered in half (RM39, FoodPanda's price is RM60...omg!!) which is probably sufficient for 2 - 4 pax.  There's no single portion orders, so unless you're a big eater, you need to come here with more poached chicken fans to be able to try.  There's even Crystal Chicken (RM96 for a whole chicken) on offer (booking required) but not sure what crystal chicken is though.  Is it anything like crystal char siew with a supposedly melt in the mouth texture? @_@

The first side dish of Braised Tofu + Egg @ RM8.80, the sauce had nice flavours and was not salty though it had a slightly more watery consistency than the ones I've eaten.  The tofu was soft as it should be.

Usually when braised eggs are left steeping (and cooking) in a braising liquid for a long time, they tend to have a slightly firmer consistency but these ones were much softer than usual.  Would I have liked the egg and tofu to take on a deeper colour from the braising broth?  Sure.  

For the next side dish of Braised Chicken Feet @ RM6.90, there were at least 2 pairs of chicken feet (making a total of 8 pcs).  The chicken feet were very tender and soft though some may find it lacking that collagen stickiness they crave.  I don't mind a less gelatinous texture.  Certainly a more than decent rendition of braised chicken feet in my opinion.

This sauce had a thicker consistency as well as being slightly sweeter than the sauce that came with the braised egg and tofu.  I preferred this braise as it was the better tasting of the two soy-based sauces.  With the extra side dishes I ordered, they should have been a little less kedekut (stingy) and gave me more of their fresh chilli sauce. :P

But the surprise dish of the day turned out to be the Siam Chilled Okra @ RM10.30 with its young and tender okra (nothing like those old, stringy okra), served with a sauce that had notes of sourness and sweetness which was very refreshing to eat.  The sauce had this sticky glaze effect and was probably made with tamarind, ginger, bird's eye chillies, lime juice and sugar (I'm guessing here).

The dish is rather appropriately called Siam Okra....and it might as well be since the sauce carried very appetising and well-balanced flavours of salty, spicy, sweet and tangy all-in-one which is the hallmark of any Thai dish.  Since this was served chilled, you can certainly keep it in the fridge for eating later without compromising on the taste.

Other side dishes on the menu include bean sprouts, hot & sour mustard greens, iceberg lettuce, shallot beancurd and fuzhou fish ball.  You'll also find chicken innards (liver, gizzards & intestines) being offered here.

The total price of this meal was actually RM42.80 (not including delivery fees of RM6.35) but I had a RM15 discount voucher to offset, so I paid RM34.15 in the end for the meal.  This meal could easily feed two persons or, in my case, one person for two meals.  I left the majority of the side dishes for my dinner later that day since my 'boys' won't be caught dead eating chicken feet (eww to them) nor slimy okra (as they term it) for that matter! >.<

I was a bit shell-shocked (when I was writing this post) as I had compared FoodPanda's prices with a photo of their menu (which I found on Google reviews with a May 2021 date stamp).  I was simply aghast at the price difference!! >_<  Doing a quick mental calculation, if I had the same meal at the shop, it would have cost me a little over RM25 only (just so you know, the dine-in prices for the chicken rice - RM8, okra - RM6.50, the tofu + egg - RM5.50, chicken feet - RM3.50, rice - RM2 and rice - RM1).  I don't think I've ever encountered as high as 60% mark-up over dine-in prices for restaurants I've patronised through FoodPanda (on the average, it's usually around 30%).  Oh-em-gee.....60% higher?!  Why such a high mark-up? O_O  

My Personal Opinion

Expensive and overrated are two words constantly associated with reviews of Loke Yun.  Expensive...I'd agree if one orders food delivery but dine-in prices seem reasonable (except maybe the corn fed chicken) though some may find the portions on the small side.  Overrated....I can't comment (everyone has their personal preference and taste + I wouldn't know how it compares to their earlier quality) but I did come away liking what I had and wouldn't mind having it again.

The standouts were the poached chicken (and I only had regular chicken) and chilled okra (this dish alone is enough to get me to return).  I can imagine the choi yin kai tasting even better with its firmer flesh and stronger 'chicken' flavour.

Perhaps when dining-in is allowed again (no more delivery, that's for sure...especially after finding out the exorbitant price difference!), I can drop by for a visit....but if I want to try the choi yin kai, I'd have to rope in some poached chicken lovers to come with me! ^_~

Loke Yun Chicken Rice
158 Jalan Besar Ampang
Pekan Ampang
68000 Ampang
Selangor
Tel: 03-4291 9884

10 comments:

  1. That was a big order and oh my, I do miss chicken rice! Yes, rather shocking that the price difference between dine-in and delivery is very substantial. I find most food reviews are mixed and we just have to try it for ourselves. Hey, there is a big poached chicken lover in me (big eater some more) but alas, Ampang is too far for me hah..hah...hah...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I vaguely remembered that you've tried this chicken rice before, so I revisited your post just now. You found the (regular) chicken ok but didn't like the chilli & ginger dip. Lo and behold, you captured the prices at Foodie's Nest. So, when I compared the prices, I can say they are in between....not as cheap as Loke Yun's shop but also not as exorbitant as FoodPanda's. Looks like we both found the chicken alright despite the mixed reviews. ^_~

      Delete
    2. Oh I did indeed! I did not even remember until I read your reply and revisited my old post. It was not that memorable then hah..hah...

      Delete
    3. I wonder if the stall is still there (note my reply to Choi Yen below). Since you found the chicken alright (except for the dips), maybe next time you can try the Siam okra :)

      Delete
  2. Since the food delivery platform takes a big percentage of cost, so the eateries have no choices but to increase the price too.
    RM2.50 for a soup in a chicken rice shop definitely non acceptable! Is that a compulsory order (for set)?
    Loke Yun has been in to to-try list for the longest time but never make it because Ampang is a not an area that we usually visit. But I think I tried their chicken rice at food court in Publika.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know food delivery platforms take a cut from the shops (that's why there's a price difference between dine-in and delivery) but I was told by a see tau por that it's around 30%, so they mark-up their prices to cover that amount. But why 60%? Does FoodPanda take a different cut from different eateries? I can't help but query if it's the shop's decision to mark up more. >_<
      Luckily, the soup is not a compulsory for the set or else I would have flipped. Still, (like you said) it's not acceptable for chicken rice shops to charge for soup. If they don't want to provide for free, they should just not provide it at all coz when customers realise they need to pay for the soup, they won't be happy as it's a given (or we've come to expect it) at these types of shops.
      I don't know why but I noticed that some of these famous names when they open stalls in food courts or branches (as they want their food to reach out to more people), they end up not doing a good job of it. I think that's because they leave the cooking to someone else and they're not there to QC on a daily basis as they have their own shop to run.

      Delete
  3. This chicken rice looked very good to me minus the chicken feet! I join your boys and eewwww. My siblings poisoned my head when I was a kid by showing me our aunty's chickens that roamed her orchard. So at dinner table, my annoying siblings asked me if I dared to eat the feet that I saw stepping on their own droppings. So bad lah. So they happily sapu all my share.

    Honestly, this year is the first time I had to collect the special corn fed chickens for my wife from Old Klang Road. One whole chicken costs at least RM50 each! When I ate the roast, I really agreed that they tasted very nice and worth the price. Now that Crystal Chicken at RM96 is something to ponder. Maybe fed with crystal vitamins and some body massage serenaded with violin music. I just saw this over TV where cows were listening to 2 violinists playing with beliefs that they will have most tender wagyu!

    I took a very long look at the Siam Okra and thought of my late mum. If that is really a Thai delicacy which I was not aware, then I know how mum made it. She would always remind me to buy very young ones, medium sized and not too dark green. Then she would throw them into a pot of ready boiling water and use fork to poke after 1-2 minutes to get the right texture. Then wash them in cold water and add Thai Sambal Sauce over them with shallots or just leave them plain on the plate. To be eaten with other raw veggies like cucumber, flowers etc and dipped into Spicy Thai Sambal Belacan sauce. Aroi mak!!!

    I seldom order food online and leave that job to my wife. That's because I would freak out at the prices too often. Lately I got frustrated whenever I tapao home or received deliveries that missed something out or wrong orders. The EMCO would make me more depressed lah!!! LOLOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what...I was told the same thing too...eh, you want to eat feet that have stepped on shit? Initially, that image did stick in my mind...but not for long as chicken feet is too good to resist (think collagen goodness...hehehe!).

      I'm not sure if corn fed chicken is exactly the same as kampung chicken (though I've seen the terms used interchangeably) but the choi yin kai I buy (if I remember correctly) usually costs slightly under RM40 only (certainly not as high as RM50). Yeah, I've seen those shows where the cows they bred are serenaded with music too...some were even given beer or sake to drink (these cows know how to party)....lol! :O

      I also do not know if this Siam okra is a Thai delicacy or why the dish was called Siam okra but it was very refreshing to eat because of the brightness of the sauce.

      I also don't order food online that much for the same reasons as you...can't get pass the price difference! >_< So, unless there are discounts involved (or it's from a place I can't get to), I'd prefer to go tapau myself. Hey, TM, chin up and enjoy some quiet time at home...be thankful that this EMCO is not as hard on us as it is on some others (financially).

      Delete
  4. These delivery platforms take 30-35%.. so in essence they only get 27-29 ringgit.. and then having to spend additional money on the plastic containers.. so there you go!

    For dishes that can be tapao nearby I usually try to bring own container and tapao lor. Win win I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I understand that these delivery platforms take 30 - 35% and if they mark up their actual dine-in prices by that extra 30%, I'm fine with it...but they marked it up by 60% (which is twice as much)! >_< I often eat at this beef noodle place in my neighbourhood and their bowl of beef noodles dine-in price is RM10 but they charge RM13 a bowl for delivery to cover the 30% cut taken by the delivery platform...which is absolutely fine...but not to the extent of taking another 30% as profit (as in this chicken rice shop) which I think is too much.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...