Pages

Thursday 24 June 2021

#ewew cooks Fresh Coriander Omelette

Love it or loathe it!  That's what fresh coriander (the leaves, not the seeds) is to many people....some love it immensely (like me) for its fragrance when added to anything.  Others loathe it for its smell and taste....and would spend their precious time picking out every single piece if they find it on any part of their food! :D

Fresh coriander is known by many names.  To the westerners, it's usually referred to as cilantro or Chinese parsley (to distinguish it from their western parsley which is not the same).  For us Chinese, we call it yin sai.....and to the Malays, it's known as daun ketumbar.

If you're a fan of watching cooking shows, you'll probably have heard many times how the chefs would say not to discard the coriander root as it's the most fragrant and delicious part (I certainly agree when I smell the roots).  They would not waste it but chop them up and throw them in marinades, sauces soups and stews.  I would too....if I get them in a condition like theirs...super clean!  But have they seen the fresh coriander sold here?  They come to us full of mud, dirt and soil! >_<  So, most of us would probably just snip off the muddy ends.  We even have to wash the stalks carefully as dirt gets trapped between the stems.

Most people would make spring onion/scallion omelette or chives omelette (like what choiyen.com would do...I do too) but what about coriander omelette?  Have you tried that before?  I have.....and the first time was accidental.  I wanted to include some kind of a protein in my salad but didn't have any meat, so I thought I'd just fry an omelette...and since I had some fresh coriander left in my fridge, I thought why not include that in my omelette.

And that's what I did....and it turned out better than I anticipated.  The fresh coriander leaves gave the omelette a very fragrant smell and delicious taste.  That fragrance added an extra lift to the fresh, crunchy salad leaves I was eating....and I've added fresh coriander to my salads ever since (whenever I have them in my fridge).

Of course, an omelette like this is only for true lovers of this fresh herb....to others it would be a stinky omelette.  But if you're someone who makes scallion or chives omelette, then you'll probably love a coriander omelette too...coz, more or less, spring onions and chives can be considered cousins of coriander.

What would most people do with fresh coriander anyway?  They would usually use it as a garnish....over steamed fish is the most common.

Or sprinkled over soups.  It's especially good with chee toh tong (pig stomach pepper soup) or chee chap tong (pork innards soup).  I do that at home all the time...sprinkle throw in lots of coriander (for my bowl only obviously) when I make peppercorn pork ribs soup or any other soup for that matter.

I even sprinkle them (if I have any in my fridge) over soup noodles that I tapau to eat at home.  You don't get that outside coz the stalls are too kedekut (stingy) to give you any as it's an expensive garnish.  They're equally stingy with their spring onions.

I use them in porridge too (together with chopped spring onions).  I find that the addition of lots of chopped Chinese parsley really helps to bring out that harum (fragrant) smell in an otherwise subtle tasting bowl of porridge.  Just stir that into the porridge at the last minute....try it some time.

If you're making pork meatballs, I recommend that you add chopped coriander (instead of spring onions) to the mix...it makes a world of difference....but only if your family members share the same love for coriander.  I realised this after eating a truly delicious meat stuffed tau pok with coriander from a fish ball noodle restaurant (though there are times they substitute with daun sup instead which is much cheaper). 

If you want a change from all the other omelettes you've been cooking with minced meat, long beans, lap cheong, onions, choy poh, luncheon meat, etc., give the coriander omelette a try next.

A little side story.  I recently 'met' an elderly lady who loves coriander more than me. I was doing my vegetables shopping one morning and was picking out a bunch of fresh coriander.  The sign said RM3.50 for a bunch (already tied-up) or RM9 for 3 bunches (my one bunch filled up two containers).  Then this elderly lady next to me (who spoke to me in Cantonese) asked me if it's RM9 for 3 bunches.  I thought she did not see the RM3.50 for one bunch and told her yes, RM9 for 3 but you can buy one for RM3.50, I said.  Again, she asked....but, but, but, it's RM9 for 3, right?  That's when I realised she wanted 3 bunches and I asked "Can you use that much?"  She said, "I put lots of it when I cook tofu, it's very nice."  Aiks, looks like she loves fresh coriander so much, she treats it like a vegetable....lol! :D  Hmmm, maybe I should try that when I next make a tofu dish.

I remember hating this herb when I was a kid (which sane kid wouldn't!) and thinking why would someone put something so stinky on something delicious (pungent then, fragrant now!).  This went well into my teenage years, even right up to my twenties, I think.  I can't remember at which point I started liking it...and now I love it so much I eat it at every chance I get (I guess I'm making up for lost time....lol).  But I still have not learned to love daun sup as much I do fresh coriander.

For me, fresh coriander is not only the best garnish ever.....it's the best ingredient to bring freshness to lift up any dish!!  And what can be more aromatic....and easier......than making a fresh coriander omelette if you love to eat coriander (like me).

I make this omelette for mua only since none of the boys in the house like fresh coriander....my son hates it...my husband can tolerate it (slightly).....and Cookie runs away from it! ^_~

10 comments:

  1. I SUPER LOVE coriander! High-5! Phiak! Whenever I eat out and if there is coriander used as garnish, I will be the first one to sapu it. Now you have given me something new to try. I never ever thought of putting coriander in omelette. So you are the only one in the house who loves coriander and even Cookie runs away hah..hah.. I don't remember ever hating coriander and my late grandmother was also a fan. She used to have a small bowl of fresh coriander with her during meal times. My dad however, hates it. He says it smells like stink bugs. I really don't smell the similarity. LOL!

    If there is one herb that I wish to plant in my garden, it is coriander but until now no success. But I am still trying and hopefully one day soon, I can have fresh coriander anytime I want!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phiak you right back! I'm also the one who tend to sapu the coriander garnish on steamed fish when dining out. Glad to have given you a fresh idea with coriander...hope you enjoy your coriander omelette! ;) I notice that men generally dislike the smell & taste of coriander.

      Oh, so you have tried to plant coriander. Never mind, keep trying and one day I'm sure you'd be successful. Imagine all the coriander you can eat then! :D

      Delete
  2. People seem to love or hate coriander. I am on the side of loving it. Your omelette looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you....and glad to see you're on the side of loving it! ;)

      Delete
  3. Phiak! High 5 to you and PH. I love to eat Fresh Coriander too like some heavenly sent veggies. In fact, I love to eat all veggies that smells like petai, spring onions and other unknown names. I am really surprised to learn from you that parsley and coriander are the same. Each time I went grocery shopping, I would ask myself what's the difference?? Now I know la.

    Like you, I would sapu them all from the steamed fishes during dinners as most guests at the table would shun it. My heart would say thanks and give me all.

    I never thought that we could fry it with eggs and make coriander omelette!! I also didn;t know that the roots could be used too. Wow! So much new things to learn again. I will fry the omelette tomorrow!!! Yoohoo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phiak to you too! I think you're among the few men (I know) who loves fresh coriander. Perhaps I wasn't clear enough, coriander may be referred to as Chinese parsley but they're not the same as (western) parsley as they're very different in terms of both taste & smell.

      Yes, I would silently be thankful and joyful to be able to sapu most of the coriander on steamed fishes during such dinners too. ^_*

      Once you're hardworking enough to thoroughly wash the coriander roots, you can add them to soups & stews....and I guarantee it'll bring added flavour to what you're cooking. You can also try it in a tofu dish (like the elderly lady said). Hope you enjoy your coriander omelette. ^.^

      Delete
  4. I like coriander/cilantro/parsley, or whatever it is called and I'm the one who "sapu" all when it appears on any dish when I'm dining with my family. I never make omelet with coriander before because I don't normally buy it as I'm the only one who eat that and it's usually used as garnishing/topping, I don't want to buy a bundle and just to use a little and waste the balance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phiak, phiak you too! Since you like coriander, you can now buy a bundle of coriander and use it for garnishing/topping whatever you want...and make a coriander omelette for yourself with the balance without any wastage (imagine the lady can buy 3 bunches! O_o).

      Delete
  5. I need to try to grow some in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, do include growing these (I can see some of the herbs you grow in your food photos)...the best tasting herb & garnish :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...