Pages

Tuesday 15 December 2020

A&W @ Sunway Velocity

It's been so long since I've had A&W...and that's because most of their outlets (closed to me) closed down one by one...finally even their iconic first drive-through outlet in PJ is closing this year after more than five decades in operation (perhaps the pandemic had delayed such plans).  I, too, went with my family one last time just for old times' sake (not that I frequent the outlet all that much since it's far from where I live) but just to savour a piece of history before it's gone forever.

Under a new ownership, the new owner has vowed to make the oldest fast-food chain great awesome again. I'm rooting (pun intended) that he does as he plans to open more than 100 A&W outlets in the next few years.

Now that I can get A&W on the delivery platform (or many other food for that matter since the pandemic struck), it was time to revisit an old and familiar flavour.  These deliveries also come with two stories.

Since food delivery platforms prices are higher than in-store prices, we usually try to look for those restaurants that offers discounts (and we had this when there was a 25% discount).  The first time we ordered A&W delivery, it came from an outlet in EkoCheras Mall.  

My all-time favourite order from A&W has always been their Beef Coney (RM12.20 a la carte, RM10.80 for Chicken Coney, all prices quoted here are delivery prices and before discount).  We've got fried chicken and burgers from other fast food restaurants here but none offer hot dogs.

And A&W's hot dog is no ordinary hot dog, it comes with their signature meat sauce with onions.  I always go for the Beef Coney (I don't think I've ever ordered Chicken Coney before or, if I did, probably only once).  It's like burger and pasta, who wants a chicken burger or chicken bolognese when there's a beef option...hehe! ;D

Their signature coney sauce with minced beef and diced onions is the very reason why I go for their Coney Dog coz the meaty sauce is what elevates this ordinary tasting hotdog, one that tastes just like any commercially produced hotdog out there.  I wouldn't mind if there was a bit of relish to top it all off but, luckily, the oniony flavour of the crunchy onions made up for it.

You can also get this coney dog in a set which comes with Large Curly (or FrenchFries (RM7.10 for curly fries, RM6.60 for french fries) and a 600ml bottle of Root Beer.  Their latest promotion is the Satay Coney & Burger...but the idea doesn't entice me (I think I'll leave the traditional taste of satay sauce alone and enjoy it with satay instead).

My next favourite item from A&W is their Onion Rings (RM7.70).  I can't remember if they were the first to offer onion rings before the rest of the fast food chains but they certainly offered the best tasting one for me.  It's their recipe of a super crunchy batter on the onion rings while keeping the onions juicy on the inside that made them better than the rest.

I try not to indulge in sweet drinks but if I did, their Root Beer (RM4.90 for 600ml, RM11.90 for a 2L pitcher) would definitely be the third and final thing I'd indulge here.  Nothing quite like having a root beer or root beer float on site in one of their frozen, frosty mugs as the chilled mug made the drink even better.

We also ordered the 2-pcs Golden Aroma Fried Chicken (RM12.70, RM18.60 for 3-pcs) which comes coated in a thick and very crunchy batter...a bit too thick and crunchy for me though....and the chicken meat was a bit dry (my favourite fast food fried chicken is still Wendy's).

Glad that foodpanda gave me the option to pick my favourite chicken parts (thigh and drumstick, of course).  The chicken pieces were of a good size, at least bigger than KFC's.  They also offer a spicy version.

Noticed Fried Mushrooms on the menu (can't remember the price but it's no longer on the menu) so I ordered it only to realise when it arrived that they were shiitake mushrooms.  The flavour of shiitake mushrooms (whether fresh or dried) is too intense.  The mushrooms were so chewy that not even the batter can save it. Worst fried snack ever! >_<  They're not suitable in a western-style dish.  For me, they taste the best when braised in a Chinese-type dish.

Coming back to the stories of these deliveries.  Well, in our first order (from A&W EkoCheras Mall), they forgot to pack one of our mains.  A burger was left out though the sides of curly fries and drink came.  A call to foodpanda later and we were given a credit voucher as compensation.  We used that credit voucher for our second order with A&W again (it can be used for other restaurants too if we so choose).  This time it was A&W Sunway Velocity.  And, lo and behold, they forgot to pack yet another item (this time they left out our order of a large bottle of root beer).  So, we got yet another compensation voucher.  Can't remember the exact value of the vouchers given but the amount is always higher than the missing item (as it should be since it actually means we're kinda forced to make another order).  We didn't know if we'd be third time lucky, so we chose to use the second compensation voucher for another restaurant instead....lol! :P

On a side note (sorry to digress), if you're a fan of Texas Chicken's biscuit, make sure you get your hands on their new herb & garlic biscuit.  I liked it better than their usual honey butter biscuit as this one comes with a fairly strong hint of garlic (but only if you or your other half like the flavour of garlic, of course).  I'm sure you know which one of the two (above) is the herb & garlic one.  A little tip: If you're having your biscuit a little later, reheat it in a toaster oven for a few minutes and it'll be even more fragrant.  And oh, the Prosperity Burger is back...yes! ;)

My Personal Opinion

I still enjoy eating A&W but I only like 3 things here....their classic coney dog, onion rings and root beer since there are better fast food fried chicken and burgers out there.  For some of us, eating A&W brings back nostalgic memories...and now you can have a bit of that '60s, '70s and '80s vibe at their first ever retro concept store (at PJ's Seventeen Mall) complete with jukebox, bar seats and checkerboard floor!

A&W is an old but timeless flavour.....and I think they're still AW-some in some ways after more than half a century! ^_~  But they seriously need to improve on their SOPs...and, by that, I don't mean the SOP due to the pandemic, I mean their SOPs for service and delivery (there are complaints even at their newest retro outlet). >_<

A&W
B-21A Basement 1 Sunway Velocity
Lingkaran SV
55100 Kuala Lumpur

8 comments:

  1. I need the root beer float!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will always remember this A&W Drive-thru as it remains in my childhood memories. Everyone in Penang would be boasting that they visited KL and went to A&W and Sungai Wang Plaza. It was so great like landing in the Moon for us hillbillies. LOLOL Now whenever I see any A&W, I would only remember my father and her brother who both have passed away as they always brought all my bunch of cousins there for treats when we were kids.

    Oh yeah I still love their signature Tuesday's Coney Dog but now I would happily eat them on any day. So much competition that burgers and onion rings overtook theirs esp Carls Jr has very tasty beef burgers nowadays.

    I will heed your advice and try their Texas Chicken's biscuit. I always bought 2-3 to eat them myself. Now I want to try the herb & garlic too. TQ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe this A&W drive-thru holds a lot of memories for many.

      Oh, I actually forgot about this Tuesday's Coney Dog. Now that you remind me, I remember about waiting for Tuesday so that I can eat it at a discounted price. I still love the coney dog until today.

      Hope you can still grab the herb & garlic biscuit coz I had this from about a month ago.

      Delete
  3. Ah! A&W is kinda nostalgic for me. I have been to the drive-through outlet a few times when I was a sweet young thing. Imagine how many donkey years ago that was! I always loved the beef coney dog and of course the root beer float. I also remember that I like their fish sandwich, which if I remember correctly the texture was like fish cake (and I am not even a fan of fish cake. Strange). As for the fried chicken, I might have eaten it before. There is an outlet at TTDI which I spotted when I was in the area with my partner. After reading this post I checked Grabfood and yes, A&W is there hee..hee.. So... I might give it a go!

    P.S. I cannot imagine shiitake mushrooms fried like that. It is weird and suitable at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had their fish sandwich...perhaps I should give it a go but it's difficult coz each time I'd want the beef coney...hah..hah! ;D P/S: I concur with you about the fried shiitake mushrooms, they were weird...and awful! :P

      Delete
  4. I'm not familiar with A&W as I didn't have many chances to have fast food last time during their popular period. Even when I grown up, it is not my first choice too due to lack of outlets that nearby to my place. I think I only tried their coney dog, rootbeer float and curly fries (where I was first introduced to this type of fries and fall in love ever since).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, under the previous management, it was not easy to find outlets near me too (those that were closed to me closed one by one). Hopefully, under new ownership now, more outlets will open up again...plus there's always delivery! ;)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...