Pages

Monday 17 February 2020

A Reunion At Home

For the second year in a row, we had a home-cooked reunion lunch at one of my sisters-in-law's house and brought my mother-in-law from the nursing home to join in the festivities.

Last year, I cooked five dishes but since my sister-in-law made three (and added one more later), I was only required to contribute two this year.  So, here were the dishes that graced our reunion table that afternoon....everything from chicken to duck, pork to prawns, mushrooms to vegetables.

#1 - Yee Sang

In conjunction with any CNY celebrations, it's common to see Yee Sang making an appearance.  It's always a good omen to start with a toss to prosperity for the coming year.

So, lo hei....or toss as high as you can while uttering auspicious wishes for good luck and fortune ahead! ^_~

#2 - Roast Chicken Wings

When you see a dish of Roast Chicken Wings, it has my name all over it.  It's a sweat-free and fail-proof dish that I've made many times...and, most importantly, it uses the oven...so, no splattering of any kind and with very little cleaning to do...ah, my kind of dish to make! ;)

It's just a matter of changing up the seasoning for a different taste.  This year I went with a more western approach using garlic & black pepper seasoning, paprika, cayenne pepper and chilli flakes.  I cut them into drumettes and wingettes (and discarded the tips) for easier eating.

#3 - Lou Ngap

My sister-in-law made lou ngap (braised or stewed duck) to take to her husband's family but took out a small portion for our lunch.  This, I believe, is quite a tedious dish to prepare...and I wouldn't know where to start. It's a dish that can be prepared ahead as the longer it sits, the flavours get even better.

#4 - Braised Nam Yue Pork Ribs with White Radish

It isn't very wise to attempt something new for CNY, something you've not cooked before, in case the dish doesn't turn out as expected.  But I went against my own advice and attempted a new dish I've never cooked before of Braised Nam Yue (Fermented Beancurd Paste) Pork ribs with White Radish after watching a cooking show.  Luckily, nothing untoward happened during the cooking of the dish and I thought the reddish colour of the dish with its auspicious undertones makes it ideal for CNY.

#5 - Soy Sauce Prawns

This next dish of prawns, I'm not sure exactly what seasoning was used....perhaps we can call it my sister-in-law's version of Soy Sauce Prawns.  There was a lot of fragrant shallots on top.  My only disappointment...the heads were missing...but that's where all the flavours congregate! >_<  This dish is somewhat similar to the prawn dish I cooked for last year's reunion dinner.

#6 - Braised Mushrooms with Fish Maw, Dried Scallops & Hoe See

She also made her signature Braised Mushrooms with Fish Maw, Dried Scallops & Hoe See (Dried Oysters), a dish she cooks almost every CNY.  Personally, I don't add dried oysters to my braised mushroom dish as I'm not a fan of it + too much of it can sometimes overpower the taste of the mushrooms as they're like sponges that soak up all flavours.

#7 - Jiu Hu Char with Sang Choy

The vegetable dish of Stir-Fried Jicama with Carrot & Dried Cuttlefish (Jiu Hu Char) was served with sang choy (lettuce), another vegetable with prosperous connotations for CNY.  You can eat the jiu hu char on its own or  eat it wrapped in lettuce.  This was my favourite dish of the four (she cooked) for the vast amounts of crispy cuttlefish used (there was so much of it that the dish resembled meehoon...*wink wink*).

So that was what we had for our reunion lunch at home.  How was your CNY feast this year?  Eat in or eat out.....or a little of both?  Either way, I'm sure it was good....food always tastes better when eaten in the company of family and friends. ^_~

This was one year that even if you don't cook, there's no problem of finding food...only thing you might have to pay extra for it.  I was quite surprised just how soon the restaurants and coffee shops were open...some as early as the second day of CNY while most would open by the third day.  This is something unheard of years ago.  Gone are the days when they would close for at least a week to 10 days (there were some who would even close for the entire 15 days).  With trying business times ahead, many can't afford to stay close and need every last bit of profit to tide them over projected weak business conditions and escalating costs.

And if they open during the festive season, they can make a killing.  We found Madam Leow open on the second day and they charged an additional 10% on their prices.  Eating at Kanna Curry House (though they didn't raise prices) turned out to be a mistake as service suffered big time.  They were so crowded that tables filled onto the walkway.  Some of the eateries in my neighbourhood even upped their prices by RM1 for a bowl of noodles!  What to do...we have to endure it once a year. >:(

10 comments:

  1. Now I see that the ones I got wrong were #4, #6 and #7 hee..hee.. Very true that most shops either stayed open or opened really soon. Times are bad. One thing I have learnt is not to eat out during the festivities because at some places the standard of cooking drops (not to mention the service). One year, my mum got hit with a very exorbitant bill at Kanna Curry House. Like you said, what to do, we just have to accept it or choose to eat in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it depends on the kitchen's management. I had a rather good experience at a Chinese restaurant over the CNY period. What did your mom order that warranted the exorbitant bill? So far I've not had any untoward experience with Kanna.

      Delete
    2. Oh no! It wasn't at Kanna (sorry Kanna, my bad) but at Paandi! Mum was charged very high price for the small pieces of fish. It was rather atrocious!

      Delete
  2. #3-#7 look very classic and comforting - like the kind of dishes you could find at a malaccan nyonya home during the reunion dinner in the 1980s! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the dish that resonated with you most was probably #7, a Nyonya dish :) What can I say, I like comfort food.

      Delete
  3. I really thought that Jiu Hu Char was fried meehoon before reading your description! I like fried squid too, very aromatic!
    We had steamboat at home this year, although not a really good idea considering the hot weather, but like what you said, the companion & family bonding time are priceless and worthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I do know that some families like to have steamboat for their reunion dinner. It's a great idea as very little cooking is involved...as long as there's air-conditioning at home...hehe! ;)

      Delete
    2. Too bad my mom's house dining area don't have air-cond ~>_<~

      Delete
  4. I truly admire the harmonious spirit and close knit of your whole family during CNY. This is truly priceless and I could only cherish the memories of mine each Chinese New Year. LOLOL

    Your Roasted Chicken and Braised Nam Yue were definitely delicious from the photos. I know you cook well with excellence in the kitchen. This year was the first time I ate the most Yee Sang and vouched that the home made ones were the most creative and innovative esp when they added mountains of shredded pomeloes and sliced pears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you're so lucky...I've never had (and never made) homemade yee sang before coz I don't know how to make the sauce. I agree that pomeloes and pears are two great ingredients in a yee sang. I love the juiciness of pomeloes especially but the ones I eat outside usually don't have this component. :'(

      Since you ate the most yee sang this year, I hope this year will be your year where you'll be showered with abundant luck and prosperity in your job...and in your life! ;)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...