Pages

Monday 24 September 2018

#ewew cooks Stir-Fried Celery Two Ways

Growing up, there were certain vegetables I wouldn't be caught dead eating...in whatever form.  Among them were bitter gourd, celery, leeks and tong ho (garland chrysanthemum).  They were all stinky vegetables to me...and, in this illustrious group, some may even add gao choy (Chinese chives), yin sai (Chinese coriander), chung (spring or green onions) and daun sup (coriander leaves, parsley leaves, celery leaves or Chinese celery...I've no idea which is the right translation in English as it's called by many names!).

I still wouldn't be caught dead eating tong ho today coz it's still stinky, no matter what.  I've loved gao choy, yin sai and chung from the beginning but still haven't come round to liking daun sup but can tolerate it now. In later years, I've grown to like bitter gourd and celery.  It's interesting how our tastebuds change as we age.  I'm sure none of these vegetables will make it to any children's (even some adults) to-eat list.  It's already difficult to get children to eat their greens, let alone these strongly flavoured ones (or smelly would be a better term).

And that's what I'm sharing with you today, one of my hated vegetables growing up....my Stir-Fried Celery Two Ways...and you only need just three ingredients for these two stir-fries.

Of course, I also like (and use) them in tomato-based vegetable soups, meat stews, cottage pie filling and sauces for pasta.

In my first of two ways, you could call this the Chinese-style of stir-frying celery.  And with any Chinese style of cooking, you have to cut the celery in a Chinese way as well...haha! ;)  And that way would be to cut it on a diagonal.  Cutting it at an angle like this is synonymous with the Chinese way of cutting many vegetables.

For this recipe, I used 4 ribs of celery, 1 large clove of minced garlic and a small handful of dried cuttlefish shreds.  Chinese stir fry is like speed dating...it's over in a jiffy! :P  So, it's best you have everything ready at arm's length.  So, I put corn oil, salt (just a pinch), garlic and cuttlefish into a cold pan.  That way, as soon as the pan heats up, I don't have to frantically throw in my ingredients quickly.

Stir fry the ingredients and once they start to brown, add in the celery.

The stir fry should only take a minute or so (there's no hard and fast rule).  It depends on how you like the texture of the celery.  If you like it crunchier, cook it for a lesser time.

If you like it softer, cook it longer.  The best thing is that you can taste test one to see if it has reached the desired texture you want and adjust your cooking time from there.

When you're absolutely happy with the texture, dish it up and serve.  And that's my Stir-Fried Celery One Way.  I like it best with the celery having a bit of a nice crunch.

The slightly crisp dried cuttlefish shreds give the dish its aromatic fragrance and saltiness. ^.^

The saltiness of the cuttlefish makes this simple stir-fry a great dish to go with plain rice.  Stir-fry celery is seen on menus of Chinese restaurants all the time in a vegetable dish together with other stuff like prawns, carrots, lotus root, mushrooms, wood ear fungus and cashew nuts.

The second method leans more towards a western-style, I'd say.  So, in line with a western style cook, I cut 6 ribs of celery into approximately 3-inch match sticks.

Just like before, I added 3 cloves of minced garlic and 1 tsp of chilli flakes into a cold pan with some olive oil and salt.  That's when I realised that the chilli flakes would burn before the garlic could brown.  Luckily, they were in a separate pile, so removing them was easy.  I had to put in a fresh tsp of chilli flakes.  So, you might want to take note that the chilli flakes should be added in later.  I'm a noob cook, I make boo-boos just like any cook but cooking is all about going through such experiences...practice makes perfect!

Once the garlic starts to brown, add in the chilli flakes to saute for a few seconds before adding the celery.

As this is a western take on stir-fry celery, it should be cooked only briefly to retain its crunchy texture.  Again, it only takes a minute or so for the celery to be cooked.

And that's my Stir-Fried Celery Another Way.  It can be served as a side dish to your main...but pair it with a main with bolder flavours (like spice marinated chicken).  It probably won't do as well with something as delicate tasting as baked fish.

If you can take the heat, you can also treat this as a cooked salad and eat it as it is (like I do). ^o^

This may look like a very simple stir-fry but the chopped garlic (lots of it, please) and chilli flakes (adjust spiciness level to your liking) give it that 'oomph' factor.

Add this two super easy recipes into your stir-fry vegetables list.....but only if you truly love celery....like I do now after all these years! ^_~

10 comments:

  1. I don't like Tong Ho also, very stinky to me, haha! The other vegetable that I don't like is bell pepper/capsicum, other than that, all OK for me :P
    I like the dried cuttlefish version, I can imagine the aroma, oh so good~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're the first person I've encountered who don't like bell peppers. I didn't fancy them myself when it was used in a Chinese stir-fry but since baking and charring them, I like them a lot more as the grilling brings out its sweetness. Maybe you can try this method to see if you can grow to like capsicum :)

      Delete
  2. Your awesome blog is always sharing something new and interesting! This is new to me that we could fry bits of cuttlefish with celery for better taste. I had never eaten these stalks of celery all my life as my Thai mum didn't cook them. It must be their culture, I guess. So I actually ate them raw for the first time in US where the folks always dipped them into mayonnaise or salad creams as appetizers! I became addicted and hooked until I came home.

    Don't you have disliking for petai? It is not in your list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I hate petai! But I was only thinking of stinky vegetables, so this stinky bean didn't cross my mind.

      You always make my day with your comments. I'm always happy to have shared something new and interesting to you :)

      Delete
  3. i also wasn't a celery lover while growing up - but you're so right, our taste buds do evolve and mature. i'm happy to have celery now - of your two recipes, i'll choose the garlic-chilli one! :D there are still some plants i don't care for though, like cucumber, which i always end up leaving on the plate :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess if they were local cucumbers, I'd probably leave them on the plate too but if they were Japanese cucumbers, I'd gobble them up...hee..hee! ;)

      Delete
  4. When I was a kid, I hated all forms of vegetables, smelly or otherwise. Celery was something I never touched until much later when my aunt served stir fried celery with prawns eaten with sambal belacan! From then on I loved celery. I find celery wonderful in chicken soup. I like the way you stir fried the celery, both ways. I have only done it with garlic and salt. Must try your versions. BTW what's tong ho? Is it that vege that people serve with steamboat? I dislike that one until now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, tong ho is the one usually served with steamboat (looks like there are many tong ho haters here!). Celery is very good in western-type soups and stews. I agree with you that they're very good in chicken soup too and I always add them in when making chicken stock as well.

      Delete
  5. My favourite use for celery is as a base for peanut butter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of people eat it as a dip with salad dressings...but something sweet like peanut butter is a first for me.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...