Pages

Monday 11 September 2017

Xang Kee (Prawn Mee) @ Taman Maluri

After reading an online review of a good Penang Mee Yoke (aka prawn mee) near me at Restoran Xang Kee @ Taman Maluri, I was eager to try as prawn mee ranks among the top three of my most favourite noodles.

There are quite a few stalls in this two-lot (one of which is a corner) coffee shop selling (Jalan Peel) roasted meat rice, sam kan chong noodles, chee cheong fun & yong tau foo, (Jalan Alor) pork noodles, char kway teow, XO seafood noodles, fish ball noodles, Sarawak laksa, wantan mee, Hakka lei cha, western food and mixed rice.

But let's cut to the chase, I'm here for one thing, and one thing only, and that's the Penang Mee Yoke.  

So, imagine my excitement when I was confronted with the beautiful sight of a whole wok full of prawn heads and shells being stir-fried at the stall.  That's the essence of a good prawn mee right there....full of fragrant and prawny flavoured prawn shells...the key to a good prawn stock! O_o

Mmmm....I knew good things await!  A regular size bowl of prawn mee here costs RM6 but you can pay an additional RM3 for a couple more prawns.  Of course I did...this is my bowl of Penang Mee Yoke @ RM9. Judging from the colour of the broth, I was hoping for a good dose of prawn flavour without being sweet.  It met the brief.

I think it's worthwhile to pay for the upgrade as the RM3 gets you a few extra good-sized prawns, otherwise it'd be those measly thinly sliced ones.  The prawns were tasty and fresh with a firm texture.  Besides the prawns, the serving came with lean slices of pork, hard-boiled egg, kangkung and bean sprouts together with a dollop of sambal on top.

Of course the most favourite condiment (for me) in a prawn mee is the freshly fried crispy shallots.  This one came served separately in a spoon...so that they won't soften before you're ready to eat?  Or for people to discard (easily) if they don't want them in their prawn mee?  Oh, heaven forbid!  I can't fathom that there are actually people who wouldn't want crispy fried shallots! @_@  Give it to me, pleaseeeeee...I'd even pay extra for more fried shallots! ^_~  I guess one man's meat is another man's poison.

The kopi-o-ping was alright.

My Personal Opinion

I do have a favourite prawn mee in PJ which I've not gotten round to blogging about coz I've not had that prawn mee in quite a while.

However, this is still a very decent prawn mee...but was it better than my favourite prawn mee in PJ? Hmmm....if I remember correctly, that one had a more intense prawn-flavoured broth but I won't commit until I've had a more recent tasting of that prawn mee to confirm that the quality is still as good as when I last tasted it.

Restoran Xang Kee
51 & 53 Jalan Jejaka 9
Taman Maluri
55100 Kuala Lumpur

13 comments:

  1. wah mee yoke expanded all the way to maluri!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aiyo, you can find mee yoke everywhere, not only in maluri lah! @_@

      Delete
  2. Wow! Look at that big wok filled with hundreds of prawn heads! This is essential to cook the most delicious soup and I trust that they must be good. I am a fan of this Penang Mee Yoke and have bookmarked this place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aiyo! I just had meeting with my Japanese client's staff at Aeon Taman Maluri yesterday and forgot about this shop! Signs of old age.

      Delete
    2. Oops...what a bummer.....better luck next time! ;) Yeah, I was very happy to see that big wok of prawn heads...the key to a good stock :)

      Delete
  3. That's an interesting photo. I've never seen the stock being made. Great shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it was my lucky day to bum into them dry-frying the prawns for the stock base =)

      Delete
  4. That big wok of prawn heads and shells was an indicator, eh? I would have been very convinced too as those are THE very essential factor to a good bowl of prawn mee. And yes, extra crispy shallots for me too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi 5 to crispy shallots! I always pay for extra fried shallots at the prawn mee stall in my neighbourhood! ^_*

      Delete
  5. ooo, that wok there is an attractive sight! i'd love to just dig the heads and shells out of the wok, scoop up the broth essence right from there, and eat it that way :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, there won't be very much broth essence at the bottom of the wok as they are dry-frying the prawn heads and shells till they're absolutely dry and fragrant before adding water to make a good stock. Whatever little bit of broth you find at the bottom of the wok, that's liquid gold right there! ^.^

      Delete
  6. I'm the person who don't want fried shallots in all my food but you know what, now I know how to appreciate them, at least I will not pick them out one by one like I used to be :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I remember you mentioning in your posts of not liking fried shallots. Hey, I'm glad to hear that you're beginning to appreciate them...baby steps, ya! ^_~

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...