Pages

Thursday 5 November 2015

Inside Scoop @ USJ Taipan

After a more than satisfying lunch at La Casa and a bit of lovely (but not so quiet) afternoon tea at Two Scones One Cup, we were off to our last stop of the day for some ice cream.
 
My husband's cousin sister has been asking me to try the ice cream here and, so, my friends and I came to Inside Scoop at USJ Taipan for exactly that.  USJ Taipan is Inside Scoop's third outpost (opened in late December 2014) after the ones in Bangsar and Damansara Jaya and they've since added another two outlets in Cheras and Kota Kemuning.

Looking at their ice cream counters, they have quite a selection of ice cream flavours on any given day.....I spotted more than 15 flavours including a few sorbets.  Their many flavours include dragon fruit, durian, coffee, salted caramel, teh tarik, chocolate cookie dough, cookies and cream, cendol, mango lassi, valrhona chocolate, milo dinasour, cempedak, peanut butter cup, blueberry cheesecake, passion fruit, lemon curd, pistachio, hazelnut, XO cranberry and more.

Their ice creams are offered in single (RM8), double (RM13.50) or triple (RM18.50) scoops for non-premium flavours.  For the premium flavours, indicated with a red star, you need to pay an additional RM1.50 per scoop.  You can also choose to have it on a homemade cone @ RM2 or made-to-order waffles (buttermilk or charcoal).  Their ice cream is made fresh daily on site using premium ingredients and without artificial flavourings, colourings or preservatives.

Making your choice is more difficult than it seems from such a wide range of flavours available but, luckily, you can have a taste test before you choose your flavours.  Make your orders, pay and you'll be given a table number (in the form of a wooden spoon in a coke bottle). 

We went with coffee ice cream and passion fruit sorbet as our first choice.  I'm not sure of (can't remember) the names of our selection (my apologies if they're not 100% correct) as I found out (later) that the receipt didn't contain the names of the ice cream, it would just mention the number of scoops, whether it's a premium flavour or with waffles.

This single scoop Coffee @ RM8 would probably appeal to those who don't like their ice creams sweet as it carried a slight bitter taste.  If you're one of those who enjoy the bitterness in your coffees, then you'd probably enjoy this.

We also tried the premium flavour of the Passion Fruit Sorbet @ RM9.50 which had an intense flavour and, at the same time, refreshing with a zesty zing.  It'll be favoured by those who like things sourish (like me) although, for once, I found this to be a bit too sour for my liking.  As I took in more spoonsful, the sourness got to me! >.<

For our second choice, we went for two ice cream flavours with waffles.  We chose the Valrhona Chocolate & Lemon Curd with Buttermilk Waffles @ RM18.50.

The Valrhona Chocolate was dark chocolate with deep, rich flavours and a slight bitter taste.  It was ok but not as memorable as the piece of Valrhona chocolate cake we had earlier in La Casa.  The Lemon Curd I liked, for its fresh and tangy flavours, and it wasn't as sour as the Passion Fruit sorbet.  Again, these choices would be more suitable for those who don't like their ice creams sweet. 

Their made-to-order Waffles were very crispy on the outside and extremely light and airy on the inside....no complaints there!  Also, eat your ice creams quickly as they tend to melt pretty fast.

My Personal Opinion

Although I've not seen any negative reviews on this ice cream place (though some flavours could be better than others), I wasn't 'wowed' by the few flavours that I tried (and neither was my 'eating party')...maybe I didn't choose the right ones! :(

I read that their ice creams are made using the gelato technique to achieve full-bodied consistency and concentrated flavours.  Maybe, it's because of this that their ice creams seem denser and not as creamy as the ones from Fatbaby (which we preferred actually).

But, at the end of the day, it's still a cool treat on a hot day!

Inside Scoop
No 27 Jalan USJ 10/1E
USJ Taipan
47620 Subang Jaya
Selangor
Tel: 03-8081 4735

12 comments:

  1. I prefer my ice cream creamy rather than dense. I guess now that you have tried both, you would go back to Fatbaby :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I prefer Fatbaby. If you don't like your ice creams dense, then you probably won't like gelato coz they're not as creamy :)

      Delete
  2. you know when's my favourite time for eating ice cream ... on cold, rainy nights! and since it's often cold and rainy nowadays, my ice cream cravings are definitely surfacing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're always different from the norm, Sean....but different is good. That way, ice cream parlors will always have customers all times of the day....and night too! :D

      Delete
  3. I have not been trying local premium ice cream lately mainly because they are very expensive and they do not have a branch near the places I frequent. The last one I tried was the Last Polka a few years ago. Wow, all of you really make it a jalan jalan cari makan outing or a makan crawl as oppose to pub crawl since you go to a few places to makan in one day. Since you are doing ice cream reviews, will you be going to eat at IDC Ice Dreams Cafe (New Zealand's Kapiti Ice Cream) at Damansara Kim? I heard that it is a new ice cream place but the ice cream is not made locally but from NZ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've already earmarked this ice cream parlor to try one day. And yes, my friends and I try to make a 'jalan jalan cari makan' outing at least once a month but agreeing on a common date is difficult at times, so sometimes it may be once in two months.

      Delete
  4. Fatbaby - I haven't heard of that one but will add them to my list to try. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get to try it soon....and yes, we definitely preferred Fatbaby's ice cream to Inside Scoop's :)

      Delete
  5. Hmm.. I wonder if I have read about this place from some other blog, the name sounds familiar. Arghhh ice cream again. You all demons tempting me!!! >.<

    ReplyDelete
  6. seldom visit such ice cream place because always very stuffed after meal, no room for dessert LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even when stuffed, one can down (or share) one scoop of ice cream......no?

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...