Pages

Wednesday 18 March 2015

Taste Enclave Classic (Jalan Kayu Prata) @ Pavilion

You can find this so-called chain of 'more upmarket' food courts in Avenue K, Pavilion and Sunway Pyramid.  I've eaten at the one in Avenue K before but this was my first time at Taste Enclave Classic @ Pavilion

The difference here is that you get table service...they'll show you to your seats, you order from a menu, write the order down on a chit and ring for service.  Unlike at Avenue K where you self-serve yourself (queue up, pay and carry your food), they bring the food to you here (probably that's why they added the word 'classic' to differentiate it from the rest)...definitely 'classier' than the one in Avenue K.

This is the Prata Set @ RM4 from the Jalan Kayu Prata Stall.  It was actually 2 pcs of (fairly large) "roti canai" (a type of Indian flatbread) served on a pc of 'real' banana leaf (and that gets extra brownie points).

I've eaten quite a lot of roti canai (in my time) but this was incredibly light and fluffy...and crisp at the same time...I was pleasantly surprised.  This was the last place I thought I would find a good roti canai.  I can say that this roti definitely has a place among the good ones I've eaten.  The 2 pcs of roti were very fulfilling (as breakfast) and probably sufficient enough for lunch (for a small eater).

At first glance, you might think that RM4 for 2 pcs of roti is rather expensive but it was well worth the price when you see that it came with 2 well made curries...a dhal and a fish & vegetable curry (without the fish, of course, but also not those low quality, watery ones you get from mamak stores).  I absolutely loved the dhal.

The Thosai Masala @ RM8.30 was stuffed with peas, carrots, onions, capsicum, corn and dried chillies and served with a dhal curry and chutney.  The crepe was (generally) soft, I would have liked it more if the outside was slightly crisp.

Just in case you wanted to know, that's how it looked inside.....full of softened vegetables.  I enjoyed the dhal and tomato + onion chutney more than the thosai though.

On another visit, I had the Mee Goreng @ RM12.80 from the same stall.  I like this dish coz it's fried with lots of vegetables, tofu and bits of eggs.  It's topped with a whole fried egg (that's usually more cooked than not).  The mee is fried till it's darkened and caramelised (though I would have liked it even more if it was a tad darker).  And that squeeze of lime is a must!

Although this plate of mee goreng may be expensive (by hawker standards), think of the pleasant environment you're having it in and the portion size was really huge (for breakfast, maybe even for lunch).  I had to summon every bit of 'inner strength' to finish this plate of mee. 

Iced "Teh Tarik" (Pulled Tea) @ RM3.80
Watermelon Juice @ RM7

Black Coffee (Cold) @ RM3.30

This place also houses a mini restaurant (Coen) and a lot more stalls from chicken rice to claypot rice to "bak kut teh" (a Chinese soup which consists of meaty pork ribs in a broth of herbs and spices) which I'm sure I'll try on my next visits.

My Personal Opinion

If you're looking for a classy and clean hawker centre, with a serene environment, far from the hustle and bustle, to enjoy your hawker delights.....this may be it!

I'm pretty happy with the food (I've tried) from the Jalan Kayu Prata stall, to say the least.  I heard that their "nasi briyani" sets (an Indian rice-based dish prepared with spices, meat and vegetables) are quite good too but I'm not particularly fond of nasi briyani, so I won't be trying that.

Taste Enclave Classic
Lots 2.65.00-2.67.00 & 2.74.00
Level 2 Pavilion Mall
168 Jalan Bukit Bintang
55100 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: 03-2110 6968

12 comments:

  1. If we talk about food prices in a mall like the Pavilion, then these is so not expensive at all. I think apart from those AEON operated food courts, most of the food courts in KL malls serve pretty decent food nowadays. Food that you would not mind bringing your foreign guests to sample for fear that they don't taste authentic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, taking into consideration the cleanliness, comfort and service you get, it's certainly not expensive at all.

      Delete
  2. So far I haven't had the chance to taste food from food courts in shopping malls like Pavillion. The ones I have had previously were nothing to shout about. The last one I had was at Sooka in Sentral. It was Korean food at a stall operated by a Korean lady. The food was just so so to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ones by the Taste Enclave chain are pretty decent. That's because they look for well-known hawker stalls to set up shop there.

      Delete
  3. great recommendations! i haven't had lunch today, so my appetite's extra-perked up by the perfect-looking roti (crispy and fluffy, yay!) and the creamy dal (i looooove dal) and the mee with egg. gimme everything!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you poor thing...it's almost 3pm and you haven't had lunch?

      Delete
  4. I'd love the food here, I'm sure - more into Asian/Asean stuff...even though the egg is not how I would like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know how much you like Asian/local food! At least the yolk was partly runny :D

      Delete
  5. They seem to have some pretty good options here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did not know that there is a Taste Enclave foodcourt in Pavilion. Will look for it the next time I am there. Love the mee goreng, definitely have to share it with someone else since you said you struggled to finish it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think you will need to share it with someone as you're such a small eater. Now you can have a cheap meal in Pavilion if you want.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...