Pages

Thursday 1 October 2020

Kak Ani Nasi Kukus Ayam Berempah @ Kampong Pandan

The Movement Control Order (MCO), be it during the conditional or (now) recovery phase, has made many of us order food via delivery probably more often than we used to do.

In fact, I hardly order food delivery prior to the MCO, preferring to dine out as I like to eat my food piping hot when it is served (in fact, one of my neighbours insists that his wife reheats the soup noodles even right after he returns from tapau-ing...haha, that's a bit extreme, don't you think?).  But the recent pandemic has changed all that and food delivery is here to stay...and will get even more popular under the new normal.

A recent one I tried was Kak Ani Nasi Kukus Ayam Berempah after reading good reviews on foodpanda (an average rating of 4.6/5).  During my first order, the packaging came in a simple paper packet and plastic bag but our later orders came in plastic boxes.  I prefer the simple paper packaging (with banana leaves) which made eating out of it directly more convenient.

My first taste test was the Nasi Kukus Ayam Berempah Kak Ani @ RM9.50, of course, as their name suggests. It comes with nasi kukus, ayam goreng berempah, kuah kari and sambal belacan.

The ayam goreng berempah (spiced fried chicken) had decent flavours but (unfortunately) I didn't get my favourite part but got the more bony section of the wing instead
 which was also attached to the chicken breast, so the meat was a little on the dry side.  I believe my experience would probably have been different if I had gotten the leg portion (or eaten onsite when it's freshly fried).

I read some of the comments left behind by their customers and some said they always get the wing part.  So I guess that part was true as I got that too (and no, there was no prompt to select the part you want during the order process).  Now I wonder if they ever give out the drumstick portion...lol!  I guess I will know the answer to that when I order ayam a few more times.  Why, delivery orders don't get the best parts, is it? >_<

Of course, no ayam goreng berempah dish is complete without a scoop of the fried rempah (spices, especially the fragrant smell and taste of lemongrass predominantly) that have detached itself from the marinated chicken into the bottom of the wok during the frying process.  Ahh, those savoury remnants, leave none behind...that's where all the flavour is! ;)

The kuah kari (curry sauce) was a standout amongst the nasi kukus I've tried so far.  The flavour was good + it also came with a few pieces of adequately soft potato cubes which most of the other curries (with nasi kukus) do not. Actually, when I first poured out the curry, I didn't realise that there were potato cubes underneath.  
The fresh sambal belacan (chilli paste), spicy as usual, was pretty similar in taste to all the ones that come with nasi kukus that I've had before.

The nasi kukus (steamed rice) was, of course, on the mushy side as most, if not all, nasi kukus is as the cooked rice needs to be compacted into a metal mould and left in a steamer (to keep warm)...and you can only do that with fairly mushy rice which facilitates compressing into a mould.  Mix all that fried rempah, kuah kari and sambal belacan into the rice for a flavourful mouthful.

Next, I tried their Keli Cili Tumbuk Kak Ani @ RM9.50 which is basically a whole ikan keli with their special cili tumbuk, kuah kari and nasi kukus.  You can also savour the cili tumbuk with chicken if fish is not your thing.

The fried ikan keli (catfish) had flavour as it was not plain fried but marinated first (probably with turmeric due to its orange tinge) before frying.  I actually like to eat this fish coz I find the flesh sweet tasting although it isn't a highly popular fish (usually offered in Malay shops only) due to its perceived muddy taste.

That's why this fish is usually cooked with a sambal though I've never encountered muddy taste in all the ikan keli I've eaten so far.  This one was no different.

But it was the cili tumbuk, a cooked chilli paste, that elevated the taste of this ikan keli.  They call this cili tumbuk 
(literally translated as pounded chillies because of its coarser texture which is unlike a finer, chilli paste that has been blended).  Not sure if it's really pounded by hand though since they would have a lot to pound...lol!

This cili tumbuk was quite spicy but also very good (just look at that awesome darkly-coloured chilli that have been tumis sampai kering (well sauteed until dry).  There were comments on foodpanda that the cili tumbuk wasn't quite enough but it was more than enough for me (incidentally, what's shown here wasn't all of it).  You can also get this awesome cili tumbuk (if you can't get enough of it) at RM10 for a 110g portion.

There were also comments that the kuah kari wasn't enough.  This I have to agree as I finished the curry even though I didn't finish the rice.  I was tempted to as the rice tasted really good when I mixed the curry (this time there weren't any potato cubes) together with the cili tumbuk (but there was simply not enough curry to go round).

My last sampling from this eatery was their Masak Lemak Daging Salai Kak Ani @ RM15.50 that included daging salai masak lemak, ikan masin, ulam timun, sambal belacan and nasi kukus.

The daging salai (smoked/grilled beef) slices were just tender enough (there were bits of chewy sinew in some pieces though) in a gravy of creamy santan, bird's eye chillies and turmeric that was delicious but a little salty.

What I enjoyed even more than the good portion of grilled beef slices were the two chunky pieces of potato that was cooked perfectly, adequately soft without being mushy....I wanted more.

The generous tub of gravy was more than sufficient for the portion of rice.  The masak lemak cili api was only slightly spicy but a fresh sambal belacan is included to add more spiciness to the dish.

This rice dish came with a piece of very poor quality ikan masin (salted fish) which was overly salty and fishy in taste + I got the less sought-after upper body the part, so I discarded it.  Actually, the ikan masin is unnecessary as the masak lemak is already quite salty.

The description of ulam timun in the dish made me think I would be getting a mixture of fresh vegetables with timun (cucumber) but it ended up to be false advertising.  It turned out to be just a piece of ordinary cucumber. >.<

My Personal Opinion

All in all, memang sedap-lah (delicious indeed) this nasi kukus with different choices of lauk (chicken, fish or beef) available.  Besides the three dishes showcased above, the chicken also comes in the form of Ayam Cili Tumbuk Kak Ani or Ayam Sambal Serai Kak Ani.  Prices are reasonable starting from RM9.50 (for a choice of ayam and ikan) while the daging clocks in at RM15.50.

I enjoyed all three but the keli cili tumbuk is just ahead for its seriously addictive cili tumbuk.  I wouldn't mind ordering the masak lemak daging salai for its delicious masak lemak cili api gravy again either (my only wish is for the sauce to be a tad less salty).

If you're looking for a decent nasi kukus with various lauk, this is a worthy delivery option (dine-in prices will be cheaper, of course, RM7 for any of the ayam variants or ikan and RM10 for daging salai as per their Facebook page).  Nak cuba (want to try)? ^_~

Kak Ani Nasi Kukus Ayam Berempah
No 11 Jalan Hilir 2
Taman Sri Angsana Hilir
Kampong Pandan
55100 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: 011-1631 3615 

10 comments:

  1. I have been eating fried ikan keli and never knew they had muddy taste like a river fish. Now I understand the reasons this fish had to be stuffed with spicy sambal.

    I am a big fan of Nasi Kukus anytime. There is one big restaurant with attap roof in Sg Buloh's Industrial Hub where there is a long line everyday. Some teased that they added ganja into the chicken.
    Now your Nasi Kukus looked just as appetizing and good but more ingredients than Sg Buloh's.

    That Masak Lemak Daging Salai is new to me and makes me drool to try. Perhaps I had seen many Malay dishes but I didn't know their names. I merely scooped onto my plate blindly with ulam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you, there are also some Malay dishes that I don't know the names...and, like you, I also just scoop them onto my plate at Malay mixed rice eateries.

      Come to think of it, I've not eaten ikan keli cooked any other way other than goreng with sambal. ^_~

      Delete
  2. i must try not to read your posts on food deliveries, cos they're too tempting, and one of my resolutions for Q4 2020 is to order fewer food deliveries, cos it has totally contributed to my weight gain this year, heheh :D i also do like my food steaming-hot, so it's unfortunate that i don't have a microwave or oven at home, cos pizzas on grabfood and foodpanda usually arrive rather lukewarm, heheh :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heheh, don't blame it on the food deliveries as I believe you eat out just as often too! ;D I also like my food piping hot (or fairly warm if in the case of food delivery), that's why I'm quite selective with the type of food I order even when I have means to reheat the food as I feel the end result of some types of food is not quite the same after reheating. That's why I never order any soup-based noodles. For me, I feel rice-based dishes (especially Malay cuisine) are the best options to consume in a not-so-warm state. ^_*

      Delete
  3. I literally lough out when I saw that piece of timun & your description of ulam timun before scrolling down and knew the fact that it was the "ulam" for you, LOL
    The Ayam Berempah still crispy after being packed in the paper wrapper? I doubt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not super crispy (like eaten onsite freshly fried), of course, but still had some crisp bits near the rempah parts.
      Why they want to call it ulam timun (when it's just a slice of cucumber) defies me! :P

      Delete
  4. Wah! It has been a long time that I have not had nasi kukus with all the nice lauk. I used to order from Hayaki via Grabfood during the MCO. I have not heard of Kak Ani Nasi Kukus Ayam Berempah until now. What a bummer that you got the wing and you can't request when ordering online. Your might be right that they reserve the leg portion for dine-in customers so that there will be enough when the diners request. I reckon that wing is not popular and I also don't like unless if it is Korean fried chicken wings hee..hee.. I also love ikan keli goreng especially if it is freshly fried. I have tried masak lemak daging salai (at Nasi Kukus Lejen which unfortunately closed down) and it was also quite salty. Instead of salted fish they gave a wedge of salted egg. Salty + salty >.<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, even a lejen(dary) nasi kukus also can tutup kedai! >.< Looks like I had the same salty+salty experience like you. Now I wonder why a masak lemak daging salai dish is always paired with something salty (either salted fish or egg)...hmmm. @_@

      Delete
  5. Lucky I just tumbuk some cili myself to make sambal today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good that you know how to tumbuk your own chilli paste for a homemade sambal...best-nya! ;)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...