Pages

Friday 16 November 2018

Just One Food - Nando's New Smoky Peri-Peri Flavour

In our last visit to Nando's, we were given the opportunity to try their soon-to-be-launched new flavour.  At that time, the new flavour was known as "Secret" Peri-Peri, of course.

And now the secret is out...on 14 Nov to be exact....and the new flavour is called Smoky Peri-Peri! ;) 

After getting a glimpse and taste of their Smoky Peri-Peri flavour via two complimentary chicken wings, I liked it enough to want to return to have it again.

Looks like the new flavour of Smoky Peri-Peri is available not only with chicken wings but with any chicken meal (even grilled chicken tenders).  I had the 1/4 Chicken (what else but Smoky Peri-Peri) with 1 Regular Side (Chargrilled Vegetables) @ RM19.90 (RM22.90 with 2 regular sides).

Well, first of all, I did get the secret sauce right...it was indeed a flavour reminiscent of a good barbecue sauce.  Their Facebook shows the ingredients that went into making the sauce...garlic, chillies, onions, lemon, lime, tomatoes, paprika...and probably some secret herbs and spices too.

On the Nando's Peri-ometer, the Smoky Peri-Peri flavour is in a spot higher than Lemon & Herb but lower than Mild Peri-Peri (meaning it's slightly spicier than Lemon & Herb but less hot than Mild Peri-Peri).  The heat level was really mild, almost insignificant, if you ask me.  So, no worries for those who can't eat any level of spiciness...it's safe even for children.

This sauce delivers a more robust flavour, with hints of zesty lime and lemon (without the sourish taste of Lemon & Herb and their other Peri-Peri sauces), mild heat from the smoky paprika and natural sweetness (probably from the onions and tomatoes). ^.^

Those who love the bold flavours of a good barbecue sauce will embrace this flavour.  The brushed-on sauce gives the chicken real flavour...and, for once, I didn't need to use any bottles of peri-peri sauce whatsoever to try to amp up the flavours.  In fact, this is the only peri-peri flavour that doesn't have a sourish undertone, so I can see why children would gravitate towards this flavour.  Although I love all things tangy, I'm not so on board when it's the dominating flavour in something savoury.

The sauce also allowed the chicken to be browned even better (compared to their other sauces).  Just look at the beautiful charring on the chicken which brought about a smokier finish to the chicken.....yum, yum! ^o^

Even the chargrilled vegetables (of red and green peppers, zucchini, broccoli, carrots, tomatoes, onions and mushrooms) were good this time...first time they were so well-charred (looks like they do a better job when they're less crowded).

I did fancy their Mango & Lime flavour previously but I think this Smoky Peri-Peri is their best flavour yet (incidentally, their Mango & Lime has been taken off the menu and replaced by this new flavour).  It's not-too-hot and not-too-sweet flavours will make this a favourite with the kids...and the adults too (from now on, this will be my default flavour with any Nando's chicken!).

They now have a flavour I can see myself coming more often to enjoy.  For those who have never liked Nando's chicken before, this may well change your mind.....finally.  Tempted to try? ^_~

8 comments:

  1. Love nando's, will give this a try next time I head there :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course I am tempted to try, thanks to you hah..hah... But I may have to go it alone because I don't think my partner wants to go to Nandos again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're good at going alone anyway...hihihi! ;) Your partner has very high standards in food since he vetoed so many places...haha! :P

      Delete
  3. I do enjoy a certain smokiness in sauces. I would have ordered those veggies too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you would. Actually, the smokiness came from the good charring on the chicken, not the sauce.

      Delete
  4. i am indeed tempted to try too! hope it's available on the delivery platforms. i hear kfc has a new korean promotional flavour of chicken too, so i guess i'll be chickening out a fair bit this month! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you will (I had a good chuckle with your funny comment). When I hear Korean flavour, I instantly think it'd be spicy like KFC (by that I mean Korean Fried Chicken)! ;D

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...