Pages

Friday 23 November 2018

How many ways can you cook potatoes?

How many ways can you eat an egg spawned four posts in my blog...yes, you heard right, four! ;P  So, I thought I'd continue with the concept of the series...but with other foodstuff.  Now, how about one on potatoes?  As much as I love eggs, I love all kind of potatoes....cooked any way too.

So, how many ways can you cook a potato (and eat it in its original form).....deep-fried, shallow fried, stir-fried, pan-fried, baked or roastedgrilled, mashed, smashed, boiled, steamed, sauteed, braised, stewed...are there more ways to eat them?  Hehehe! :D

#1 - Deep-Fried Potatoes

Let's start with the most unhealthy way of eating potatoes but probably also the most popular....the deep-fried version! >.<  And what comes to mind instantly?  Fries, of course...and they come in many shapes and sizes to please us.

#1.1 - Regular (or French) Fries


They should be perfectly straight, perfectly fried and perfectly delicious...yesss! ^_~

#1.2 - Shoestring Fries

They're just thinner than regular fries but, whenever I see shoestring fries, they're usually those frozen fries from supermarkets.


Though some are clearly freshly made and taste good seasoned with spices.

#1.3 - Steak Fries

Referred to as steak frites, these are thicker cut fries than your regular fries and they usually come with what else...steaks, of course.  I prefer these thicker cut fries as they're extra fluffy with the perfect crisp on the outside if done right.

#1.4 - Chips

Ah, who can forget fish & chips.  They're like ebony and ivory...they live together in perfect harmony side by side on my plate.....

#1.5 - Curly Fries

This type of fries is usually what we get with fast food...and no two curly fries are the same.  But it's not easy to get perfectly cut curly fries (even with a special cutter).  They're ideal for trapping seasoning within their curls, no? ;P

#1.6 - Crinkle-Cut Fries


When I think of crinkle-cut fries, for some reason, I associate them with frozen fries I get from the supermarket coz these needs a special tool to cut them into that shape, so it's something we'd rather buy than do the extra work in the kitchen.  And when I get this type of fries served to me at restaurants, I automatically think frozen, not fresh. :(

#1.7 - Waffle (or CrissCut) Fries


This, like crinkle-cut fries, also needs a special kitchen tool to do the job.  Not a fan of this at all as the large surface area tends to make them less crisp.

#1.8 - Fries with Toppings of Meat Sauce


Nowadays, they even come with toppings like a meat sauce (or cheese).  I don't like it all that much as it makes the fries go limp.

#1.9 - Mentaiko Fries


And then we have fries drizzled with savoury, creamy mentai...ooh la la....more please! ^.^

#1.10 - Mentaiko-Cheesy Fries


And what's better than mentaiko fries?  Mentaiko-cheesy fries, that's what.  This was one cheesy fry I could eat as the abundant mentaiko taste was more dominant than the cheese...yay!

#1.11 - Truffled Fries


I'm not so sure about truffle fries though.  Most of the time, I can't find any truffle taste in the ones I had.

#1.12 - Sweet Potato Fries

These days, we see sweet potato fries being served as a variant to the usual potato fries in which some might feel is a tastier substitute.

#2 - Potato Wedges


A much thicker cut and distinctive from fries because of its shape, potato wedges can be deep-fried....


.....or oven-baked for a crisp exterior and a fluffy interior.

#3 - Boiled Potatoes


I guess one would choose boiled or steamed potatoes if one wants to indulge in a guilt-free version and don't mind them bland-tasting!

#4 - Steamed Potatoes


Another healthy rendition but much better in taste would be these purple potatoes, the sweetness of which make them delectable when simply steamed.

#5 - Baked or Roasted Potatoes


One of the easiest potato recipes to nail at home.  I make these all the time.

#6 - Pan-Fried Potatoes


It's a common method of cooking for the Chinese.  Seen here paired with Hainanese chicken chop.

#7 - Mashed Potatoes


They come in many forms...and each variation is equally delicious.  They can be extremely smooth and creamy.....


......to coarse and chunky...


.....to studded and flavoured (with bacon, vegetables, fresh herbs or just about anything)...


......to cheesy....

...to topped with gravy.  Any which way, I like :)

#8 - Smashed Potatoes


I first learned about smashed potatoes from watching Jamie Oliver pressing down on parboiled potatoes in an iron skillet which allows the potatoes to crisp up beautifully because of the wider surface area.

#9 - Braised Potatoes


Commonly cooked by Chinese families by frying them lightly first before finishing them in a braising liquid of oyster and soy sauce (sometimes with chicken or minced pork).

#10 - Stewed Potatoes


Westerners will have their potatoes in some kind of a meat or vegetable stew while we (Asians) prefer them stewed in a curry. ^_~

#11 - Grilled Potatoes


Potatoes thrown directly onto a barbie is what a great outdoor barbecue is all about....but that's not a usual way of cooking for us, so the closest we get is to grill them on a wire mesh over an open flame.  I especially love Japanese sweet potatoes grilled yakitori-style.

#12 - Jacket Potatoes


These are usually wrapped in foil and baked or thrown on the grill to cook with skins on.  They're cooked till the insides are just soft and eaten topped with sour cream (or cheese), (turkey) bacon bits and spring onions (or chives).

#13 - Hash Browns


You'd probably find this as one of the components in a big breakfast platter.  It's good when they make it in-house (hate the frozen ones) >_<

#14 - Potato Chips


And we must not forget potato chips either freshly fried (from your neighbourhood kacang putih seller or pre-packed ones from supermarkets)...the greatest snack on earth for couch potatoes, don't you agree? ^_*

#15 - Sweet Potatoes


Finally, sweet potatoes of any variety or colour are just an equally (if not more) delicious rendition of potatoes.

This carbolicious treat is hard to resist.  So, which is your favourite way of cooking (and eating) them?  Or you just love them all, like I do.  Go on...forget about your carb intake or diet....you know you want some...hihihi! ^o^

12 comments:

  1. I love potatoes, be it sweet potato or the "Holland Shu: haha
    The curly fries, I think we seldom can get it other that the once-a-year fast food prosperity set. I love curly fries so as a non fast food lover, I'll buy the set for the sake of curly fries, =.="

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily, the prosperity set is just round the corner although some cafes do offer curly fries on their menu :)

      Delete
  2. i can feel my body absorbing carbs just by scrolling thru these pics! but i love my potatoes too, plain or truffled or mentaiko-ed! :D if you wanna experiment with even more potato dishes in the future, maybe you could try colcannon (it's the irish mashed potatoes), patatas bravas (a spanish potato tapa) and of course, rosti! part two of potatoes, please :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now how did you know there'll be a part two...kekeke! ;) Never heard of colcannon though.

      Delete
  3. Who knew there were so many ways?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a lot of ways to have your potato!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you talking to me? Forget about carbs? hah..hah... Gladly! Going through this post, oh my, I would be happy to eat any one of those potatoes. I thinks potatoes are the best thing ever, I love it any way it is cooked. My late grandparents loved to add boiled potatoes to their home made rojak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see another ardent supporter of potatoes here...hehe! ;) I don't think I've ever eaten boiled potatoes with rojak.

      Delete
  6. I love all potatoes cooked in any way, as for fries, I love potato wedges the most! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Today I confirm that you are my "walking encyclopaedia" from the kitchen! Muahahaha!

    I didn;t know that after learning various names for making eggs, there comes many ways to cook our potatoes too! I love potatoes very much since a toddler. I heard that eating potatoes will stimulate one's happiness and cures depressions too.

    Today I have noted down that I should explore making Mentaiko potatoes and fry sweet potatoes too! I often make stewed potatoes with carrots, pineapples and lychee to enhance my boring vegetarian meals. You also taught me the difference between mashed & smashed potatoes. So interesting to discover that I am such a potato in the kitchen!! LOLOL Thank you very much for your effort to compile all for this great post.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...