Pages

Saturday 28 September 2024

Bhai Jim Jum @ Aeon Maluri

In my restrictive way of eating, Thai cuisine is probably one I shouldn't partake in too often as we know Thai cooking is renowned for its tantalising blend of salty, spicy, sweet and sour flavours, especially the latter which would need sugar to balance out its tart flavours.

We've passed by this restaurant, Bhai Jim Jum @ Aeon Maluri, many times when I'm here grocery shopping looking for a place to eat and finally decided to walk-in to try since I haven't had Thai food for ages.

I chose the Steamed Tilapia Fish Fillet with Thai Chilli Lime Sauce Rice Set @ RM22.90 that came with sides of a fried egg, rice with braised minced chicken and a small salad.

I found the photo and description of the food in the menu a little bit misleading.  The sauce turned out to be more like a soup and it was also more broth-like in colour instead of the orangy colour depicted in the menu. Thankfully the Thai chilli lime sauce soup was quite appetising with a nice tangy flavour from the lime.

Not only that but the fish slices were protruding from the little wok (in the menu)...quite unlike what I got as the fish was submerged in a pool of soup and not very visible at all.  Let me dig out the fish pieces for you...luckily the steamed tilapia fish fillets were soft and very flaky without any fishy taste though I suspect they're probably frozen tilapia slices.

The main was supplemented by rice with braised minced chicken (that tasted decent enough) topped with some crispy rice that gave it a crunchy element, a fried egg and a salad comprising of finely shredded cucumber, carrot and onion with a dressing of Thai sweet chilli sauce.

My son's Green Curry Chicken Rice Set @ RM21.90 was served with a typical green curry chicken that Thai food is renowned for with the same sides of the earlier rice set of braised minced chicken with rice, fried egg and salad.

The green curry chicken with some softened pieces of eggplant was well executed, thick and tasty with a favourable coconut-forward creamy taste of green curry.

The Thai Mama Noodles with Honey Sriracha Chicken Wings that my nephew had was like one of those Thai Mama instant noodles type with the chicken wings served separately.

The bowl of Thai Mama instant noodles was garnished with onions, tomatoes, chopped spring onions and lime topped with a raw egg to go.  I'm not sure what flavour the instant noodles was but it was slightly spicy according to my nephew.  I've eaten this brand of instant noodles and have probably eaten this flavour before too.

The honey sriracha chicken wings was lightly spicy from the sriracha and sticky-sweet from the honey as described.  The taste of the fried chicken wings (3 pcs) obviously benefitted from the seasoned glaze.

Seeing that we enjoyed what we had, we returned for a second meal here a month later.  This time I had the Tom Yum Beef Noodles @ RM21.90 served with the typical Thai flat rice noodles with some straw mushrooms and green vegetables.

I thought this tom yum soup was on point with its appetising balance of spicy and sourish flavours.  I liked that it wasn't too spicy or overly sour like some can be.  It also seemed to have a much thicker consistency than the usual thinner and clearer tom yum soup bases we commonly encounter. 

But found the beef to be on chewy side....luckily they were thinly sliced to help negate the not quite as tender and juicy texture.

My son had the Seafood Tom Yum Rice Set @ RM18.90 that came served with seafood tom yum in a mini wok with the same accompaniments as the earlier rice sets.

The seafood tom yum had chunks of fish, squid, mussels and a sizeable prawn somewhere in there too cooked with some enoki mushrooms and tomatoes.  The tantalising flavours of the tom yum soup (just like my tom yum beef) with its moreish tanginess beckons you to slurp up more of the soup.

Drinks of Cala-Cooler (of calamansi juice & assam boi) @ RM6.90 each for them and my son's Thai Lemon Tea @ RM5.90 on our second visit.  Haiz, none for me (of course) other than iced mineral water...so very boring! :'(

My Personal Opinion

Sad to report that at the time of writing, this place has since closed.  I'm not sure why as I thought the food we had was decent enough...that was why there was a second visit.  I still decided to post this anyway as they have other branches elsewhere (in MyTown Shopping Centre, Wangsa Walk Mall in Wangsa Maju, IOI City Mall in Putrajaya & DPulze Shopping Centre in Cyberjaya) that you can try.

The place also offers Jim Jum (Thai Hot Pot) and dishes you can order to eat with rice besides their rice and noodle sets which are obviously more value for money.  Thai food (as we know) is never cheap and the prices for the single dishes you eat with rice coupled with its small portion size may have lent a hand in its demise at this location perhaps as the restaurants here mostly offer very affordably-priced food with good portions which Aeon shoppers are after.

I guess if I want eat this again, my nearest alternative will be the one in MyTown which incidentally happens to have a very good rating of 4.9, a testament that the food is of a respectable standard with reasonable prices.

Bhai Jim Jum
Level 2-S20 Aeon Maluri
Jalan Jejaka
Taman Maluri
55100 Kuala Lumpur

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...