Pages

Thursday 19 October 2023

#ewew cooks Ipoh Kai Si Hor Fun (or Shredded Chicken Noodles)

For those who have followed my blog long enough, you'd know I have a "thing" for Ipoh kai si hor fun (also known as Ipoh sar hor funkshf in short).  My love for it knows no bounds! ;)  I simply love to eat this noodle....but only in soup form (none of that dry-style nonsense which my family begs to differ, of course....lol).

For me, it's the lovely aroma of the clear prawn stock that sets it apart from all the other soup noodles.  And that was what led me to wonder if I could make this successfully at home, so I gave it a shot just for the fun of it.

With any bowl of 
kshf, you start with the broth which is quintessential to the success of your kshf.....and you begin by sauteeing prawn heads (about 20 of them, leftover heads from 1 kg of prawns I bought and peeled) in some oil.  The more oil you use, the more prawn oil you'll have at the end.  As soon as the prawns cook and turn bright orange, you'll see a stream of prawn oil being extracted from the prawn heads.  That's umami right there!

Next, add the desired amount water to the sauteed prawn heads (I used an amount that's good enough for two bowls of 
kshf) together with some chicken bones (I used choi yin kai bones for a richer flavour).  Simmer on low heat (for at least 30 - 45 mins or until you're pleased with the flavour) to extract all the flavours from the chicken bones and prawn heads and season accordingly.  You can choose to add sugar (or rock sugar) for some sweetness but I chose not to.  See that lovely layer of orange hue goodness in the stock? ;)

At the end of it all, you'll get this bowl of deliciously rich, umami prawn-flavoured stock which was good enough for two bowls of kshf.  I was quite surprised that it was so easy to do and it looked really
legit! ^.^

And that's pretty much all you have to do!  All you really need to make is the stock.  After that, all you need to do is to assemble your bowl of 
kshf.  Place your hor fun or kway teow in a bowl together with some Chinese chives and beansprouts (all lightly blanched).  I actually got these ingredients from the ex-Chang Kitchen boss coz since I was only making a bowl for myself, I didn't want to buy a whole packet of noodles or a bunch of chives and beansprouts just to make one portion.

Top it with some cooked prawns and shredded chicken (you can poach these two, for a little while, till cooked, in the same broth that you're simmering.  And just because it's a homemade version, you can put in big prawns...and more of it (which you won't get if you have it outside coz prawns are expensive and the hawker will usually give you measly ones).  Hah..hah...only in a homemade version can you find the
liew more than the noodles.

Make sure you get the stock boiling again before pouring it over your bowl of noodles...and my homemade 
kshf is ready for eating! ;)  Finish with a sprinkling of homemade fried shallots (yes, I do make my own fried shallots)...but no, this came out of a bottle (make sure they're good quality fried shallots ya).

Does the broth look legit or what?  The rim of the bowl even has that foam/bubbles you see in a real bowl of 
kshf cooked by a kshf sifu.

In fact, my broth is even more orangey in colour than what you'd get outside...and that's because it was made with the bones of choi yin kai and not the normal broiler chicken.  Those of you who have made soups with both types of chicken before will know the difference.  Since discovering the much richer, more umami taste, I don't make soups with regular chicken anymore.

Of course, if you're making your own 
kshf, you can opt for larger, fresher prawns to give you that (prawn) satisfaction you need which you don't normally get from an ordered bowl since they're usually smallish.

Taste wise, to be honest, it's not as good as those from the 
kshf masters and that's because I refrained from adding any sugar to my stock (this obviously gives sweetness to the stock, some hawkers use rock sugar)...and no msg, of course! >.<  I think it's decent enough for a homecooked version lah! ;P

Before I attempted this, I didn't know that it was so simple to make.  Now I look at hawkers selling 
kshf as having a much easier job compared to other noodle hawkers selling say curry laksa, prawn mee, wantan mee or fish head noodles, for example.  A hawker once told me (the couple was selling siu chow or stir-fry noodles) that they were closing and switching to selling pork noodles instead coz the work is much easier (apparently pork noodles is the easiest as you just need to prep the stock and cut up the raw pork).

In the end, if you want to show your skills at making
 kshf at home (to guests), then it's worth the while (if you're making plenty), otherwise just go out, order a bowl and safe yourself from all the hassle (of making just one portion).  I did it just to see if I can...and realised it wasn't that difficult.  One thing I did learn from this cookout is that I now know not to throw away the discarded prawn heads as I can make a good stock out of it...and use that stock to make soups. ^o^

6 comments:

  1. I certainly salute your effort to whip up this homemade KSHF and it looked fabulous! I tried to saute the prawn heads to get some prawn oil for my noodle broth but it turned out got unpleasant "fishy" taste, so I discarded it. ~>_<~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your appreciation of my effort and compliments. Oh dear, I wonder if the fishy taste came from prawns that were not so fresh perhaps? These were heads from large prawns (that cost about RM2.50 for one) and I feel they tend to be fresher than the usual medium-sized prawns I buy. I guess the rationale is the prawns better be fresh for people to be willing to fork out RM50 - RM60 for a kilo. The kshf hawkers on the other hand can get really fresh medium-sized prawns as they would have their regular supplier/s. Also, try to wash them really well as that could help.

      Delete
  2. Wah...you cooked your own kai si hor fun! I bet it tastes wonderful! The difference in taste compared to the hawker's could be due to their added secret ingredients. I can't imagine adding sugar to soup. I like the abundance of prawns in your homemade version. At the restaurant, I only get maybe one or two prawns that are slice into two >.<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your compliment. It's actually quite common for noodle hawkers to add sugar to their soup base (some use the better tasting rock sugar) even if they say they don't. So, the next time you drink the soup in your noodles and find that they have a sweetness to it, you'll know what gave it that...lol. I'd say it's more commonly used in clear soup noodles but I was told in prawn noodles as well (some use rock sugar, unverified, of course...so, it's not only just from the sweetness of the prawns). They have to due to the sheer amount of stock they use for their noodles. We don't add sugar to our homemade soups coz we choose not to + we also make only a small amount so there is no need to (just like the "tan tong" or steamed soups sold, those are probably sugar-free...hehe).

      Delete
  3. ❤️❤️ Wow! Wow! I love to eat Kai Si Hor Fun that is flavourful, aromatic and tasty like your fresh looking photos. The last photo is so yummy that I wish I could download and drink the whole soup. Yes, the colour is nicer than what the hawkers offer. It is always easy for you to cook anything!! I am a disaster in my own kitchen. 😂😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol...looks can be deceiving. Mine looks better than the hawkers' versions but sadly not as tasty lah as the kshf sifu-s. I giggled when you said "download and drink the whole soup". Cooking, just like everything else, needs practise and you'll soon get better at it (so, TM, more practice). I wasn't good at cooking myself when I first started. ^_~

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...