Pages

Friday 9 September 2022

Snack Attack - Nuts & Chips from Candy House

Some will say snacks aren't specifically just for the holidays, weekends will do too.....and for some, snacking is for any day of the year...kekeke! ^_~

The name Candy House (from Aeon Taman Maluri) may sound a little off to you since I don't have anything candy or sweet to show you (though they do sell all kinds of sweet stuff like candies, jellies, gummies & chocolaty things besides biscuits, nuts, chips, wafer sticks, marshmallow, preserved stuff and sotong (cuttlefish).

Well, I'm not into the sweet stuff...but nuts and chips, I'm in.  These are just some of my loot from Candy House (Taman Maluri) via delivery (most are priced between RM4 - RM5 for 100g)....Skinless Broad Beans, Roasted Mosambi Isi, Santong Masin & Potato Sticks (Original), the last one was given by mistake when what was ordered was actually Potato Chips (Original).

From this order, the standout was the skinless broad beans (or nuts).  They were salty, fragrant and crunchy...all the hallmarks of a tasty nut (or bean)! ;)  You can also get these with their skins on....now why on earth would someone want to do that? >.<  Why go through all that hassle to have to peel the skin off, just get them skinless and pop them into your mouth lah, right? ;P

I didn't know what roasted mosambi isi were until I looked at the pic in their menu.  They're what I'd call roasted skinless chickpeas.  Ah, another skinless nut that's ideal for easy snacking.  I actually like this one but my husband says it's tasteless (that's because there's no salt). @_@

Santong masin
 (looks this place like to name their nuts in Malay) are actually those salted, lightly oiled peanuts that you usually find served in Chinese sit-down set dinners for people to munch away while they wait for their food (or friends & family) to arrive.  This one was decent too though the one I buy from the wet market is much better (my husband concurs).

After liking the Skinless Broad Nut from our first order, we placed our second order for the same together with Spicy GroundnutCurry Chip (Spicy) & Chip (Spicy).  Unfortunately, these three failed to deliver in terms of taste.  The chips especially didn't have that sought-after really fresh taste.

When tauhu biscuits first hit the market, it was the rage (I think it was more than 10 years ago?).  I remember getting mine from a kiosk in Cheras Leisure Mall when I needed something to munch on while at the cinema.  It tasted lightly savoury but didn't what it was then.  Even when I kept buying them (nowadays you'd find it even in wet markets), I didn't know they were made from tofu.  Huh, can make something so crispy out of tofu?  Never mind about the making part, I'll just do the eating part! :P

I've been back for their Skinless Broad Nuts (the best thing from here) a couple of times already but there are still a vast number of items to try on the list.  Some others that attracted me include ear biscuits, kuih bangkit (tapioca cookies), golden pineapple biscuits, pumpkin seeds and (maybe) some other nuts and sotong (cuttlefish is rather expensive though) but I'd lay off the chips altogether.

The weekend is here......happy snacking? ^_*

8 comments:

  1. Everyday is snacking day, especially midnight snacking, shiok!
    My current obsession is Lekor crispy, have been buying it a few times from Shopee. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like fried lekor too (my son's favourite)....but like them super thin (and not many places make them super thin). >.< P/S: I like your philosophy...every day is snacking day...just have to exercise restrain and moderation (but midnight snacking is scary!)...lol.

      Delete
  2. i like all these titbits to fill my itchy mouth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that itchy mouth is our downfall....hah...hah! ;)

      Delete
  3. Oh! I love nuts and broad beans. I used to buy these a lot especially peanuts and broad beans though I have not come across Candy House. Another nut I love is cashew nuts and I get them online from Snack Right. Their giant cashew nuts are roasted with skin on and they add flavor to the nuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems this Candy House is located in Aeon Maluri. I used to see a place selling these titbits in Aeon but wasn't aware/remember the name Candy House. For some reason, I'm not very fond of cashew nuts (my husband is the same too) coz I feel they're pretty bland in taste and just not as fragrant as the other nuts but I do like them in a dish like kung po chicken with spring onions and dried chillies.

      Delete
  4. Very very different from the kacang putih door-to-door time kan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, seeing those push-cart kacang putih sellers is now a distant memory. I remember the younger days where we'd be sure to buy some kacang putih (in a paper cone) before we enter the cinema. So syiok....nowadays the nuts come in plastic bags! >.<

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...