Pages

Wednesday 29 June 2022

Iberico Bak Chang by JY's Signature

During the last Dumpling Festival, my neighbour gifted me a piece of bak chang to try but it wasn't any ordinary bak chang but an Iberico Bak Chang by JY's Signature (sent to her courtesy of her daughter overseas).

You see, since visiting her son in US, she is now used to eating Iberico pork and find our local pork hard to take (too porky a smell for her).  Well, I'm sure most would agree that Iberico pork does taste better for sure but then it also costs a lot more (probably more common and much cheaper over in the US compared to here).  These days, you get to eat bak chang all year round and not just during the Dumpling Festival (and I'm sure that pleases a lot of people). ^.^

The Iberico bak chang came vacuum packed and frozen.  Great that the packaging comes with a diagram of all the various cuts of the Iberico pig too which serves to educate us on what parts we're eating (and the Spanish terms for them as well).

My first introduction to Iberico pork was through Iberico Kitchen some 7 years ago (note that they have moved twice but glad to see they're still going strong at their current location in SS2 PJ).  Buoyed by that excellent introduction to Iberico pork, I continued my Iberico dining with El Iberico and Curious Kitchen.

Let's see which Iberico cuts I've had the pleasure of eating already....I've eaten their ever popular spareribs, cheek (or jowl), collar, pork chop, top loin, shoulder loin, iberico ham (or jamon iberico), even Iberico siew yuk, Iberico pork chop from a Chinese restaurant and now Iberico bak chang...lol.

The bak chang was bigger in size than the usual bak chang I buy and on opening it, I could see that the glutinous rice dumpling was abundantly filled with.......

1)  Black eyed beans - I actually prefer mung beans (or luk tau) but don't mind black eyed beans either so long as I get to eat chung...lol.  If you like to eat your beans whole, the black eyed beans would be a better option since mung beans are usually cooked to a more mushy consistency.  I'm actually starting to appreciate black eyed beans more these days.

2)  Chestnuts (or foong lut) - there were two actually when you'd usually get one in most chungs (coz of their much smaller size).

3)  Salted egg yolk - ah, this is what I look forward to most...a bright orange, oily-looking yolk for the best quality and creamy taste.  This one was of a very decent quality indeed.  Not sure if this was one or two yolks...well, the more the merrier as far as I'm concerned.

4)  Dried shiitake (or Chinese) mushrooms - again, there's usually one piece but this one has two.  This ingredient is not critical for me as the given ones are mostly the lower quality, thin-type and all black cap (not those white flower top shiitake mushrooms).

5)  Finally, the pork - the piece de resistance in any glutinous rice dumpling as the fatty pork is what gives the chung its all-round flavour.  But this is no ordinary pork but a piece of slightly fatty Iberico collar....and, somehow, because it was Iberico pork, I was able to eat up the fatty part also without it being too gelatinous or cloying for me.

Was it good?  Definitely. ^o^  The glutinous rice was nicely soft and all the ingredients came together for a well-flavoured chung.  Flavour wise, did the piece of Iberico collar taste significantly different from regular pork?  Not really, maybe just a smidget more flavour than regular pork.  Not when it was stuffed together like that in a flavourful chung.  Yes, the meat was super tender but you can also get this from chung makers who manage to cook their regular pork just as tender.  Because the bak chang was so fully loaded with ingredients, there wasn't much space left for the glutinous rice...I would have loved more of it though! ;)

Well, if you're feeling a little bit extravagant, then you can certainly order this bak chang which retails for RM21 a piece (alamak, 3x the price!).....but but but...I can get 3 pcs of (normal) bak chang for the price of one wor! O_o  Ok-lah, the price goes down to RM18 a piece if you order 4 pcs.  I suppose if it wasn't at three times the price, I would buy them in a heartbeat.  Maybe I'll reserve these for special occasions only or when I feel like splurging.  I know I'll probably get it at some point but for now, I guess I'll just rely on my regular sources for bak chang....hehe! ^_^

My Personal Opinion

JY's Signature (opened end of last year) operates a deli and frozen food store and they have a physical shop in Jalan Ipoh.  They also offer pre-cooked, ready-to-eat Iberico ribs, healthy raw meat, sauces and all sorts of Iberico pork products including Iberico satay (with sauce), moo ping (Thai satay) and siu mai (I've not tried any of this).

Even though the price is on the higher end, I would still recommend this Iberico bak chang coz it does taste really good sans the difference in its more "atasfei chu yoke (higher end fatty pork) for a once in a while indulgence when the pocket permits. ^_~

JY's Signature
Lot H-GA-02 Block H
Ground Floor Rivercity
No 1 Jalan Selvadurai
Off Jalan Sultan Azlan Shah
Jalan Ipoh
51200 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: 011-3666 6340

8 comments:

  1. I love Zhong and can crazily eat two big sizes Zhong in one go. :P
    I prefer black eyed beans for my Zhong. The salted egg yolk in this Zhong looked nice, some given are very dry.
    This Zhong definitely passed with flying colours with all good quality ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, indeed this one did. I think I can eat two in one go too...and I love a good quality salted egg yolk in mine. ^_~

      Delete
  2. Haiz! That's the thing. Once you get a taste of the good stuff, the ordinary ones won't taste as good hee..hee... So your neighbor has very fine taste for pork! I didn't know that there is such a thing as Iberico Bak Chang. I want! For RM21 a piece, I don't mind to try since the bak chang is so loaded with ingredients. So did you sapu the whole thing all by yourself? wahahahaha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Waaah! I didn't know there is Iberico Pork. It must be like the better version of beef that's Wagyu.

    This year was the first time I didn't eat the dumpling. I am sad to say that I lost my taste buds and appetite on most days. I had to swallow something sour or salty to make me eat.

    You are really good at luring me to try anything that's good. My wife attends a special geomancy class on Sundays near Jalan Ipoh. So I will venture out to find this JY's Signature during her 2 hours class. Bak Chang here I come!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you need to stay off bak chang for a while since I hear glutinous rice may be a bit difficult to digest (especially in your condition) but no harm to go look for it. Perhaps you can surprise your lovely with some good chung for her to eat.

      Delete
  4. Alamak! I swear I left you a comment last week. Sudah hilang. I won't mind paying RM21 for this Iberico Bak Chang since Iberico pork is an atas pork and the bak chang is chockful of ingredients. I love black eyed peas and the other ingredients that went into the chang especially the salted egg yolk. I won't mind less glutinous rice (less carbs heh..heh...) and perhaps one day I can buy. I wonder if they do delivery which probably means I can't just buy one hah..hah.. So did you enjoy this bak chang all by yourself? wahahahaha!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I enjoyed the bak chang all by myself (sorry, only one mah!). Yes, they do delivery at a charge of course, so buying one wouldn't be worth it since you have to pay delivery. Anyway, these are frozen and vacuum packed and they can last for one month in the freezer. Not only bak chang but they also sell other fresh premium meats (like antibiotic-free chicken), marinated meat (Iberico ribs & abanico chop) and ready-to-eat food...basically a lot of "atas punya" food lah! ;) You can check out their FB if you're interested. P/S: I published your other missing comment above that somehow went straight into my spam folder without my knowledge! :O

      Delete
  5. wait, there's such thing as double yolk!!?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...