Pages

Monday 21 September 2020

Guang Ji Ho Fun @ Jalan San Peng

Jalan San Peng, off the main thoroughfare of Loke Yew, is a long street stretching from Jalan Pudu to Jalan Loke Yew in the old city area.  Though I've heard of Guang Ji Ho Fun @ Jalan San Peng for quite a while now, I didn't seek it out as it's not an area I frequent.  I was motivated to seek out this place after my excellent dining experience of kai see hor fun at Moon de Moon in Ipoh.

You can find this place located opposite the Pudu LRT station though the row of hawker stalls here don't seem to be very bothered with displaying a noticeable signboard.  So, look for Tiger Jit Singh Chapati (the only noticeable signboard if you're driving past) and Guang Ji Ho Fun is next to it (separated by a road entrance). Since this is just a roadside stall, you can park along the road next to the stall where you can keep an eye on your car while eating (or get a proper parking spot at the Pudu LRT station and walk over).

This roadside stall (with a zinc roof) isn't the most conducive eating environment, so get ready for some heat and humidity especially during the hotter days or in the afternoons.  But let's focus on the food instead of the comfort of the place since I came here for one thing...and one thing only.  So, let's start with their signature Prawn Chicken Kuey Teow or Ipoh-Style Kai See Hor Fun @ RM7.50 a bowl.

The moment the bowl of noodles arrived, I knew I've hit the jackpot just from the colour of the broth.  This photo was from our first visit.  It doesn't do the kai see hor fun justice as we were seated in a darker part of the shop.

Let me show you one (taken from a brighter spot) that's worthy of your drool.  Just look at that bright orange hue of prawn oil swimming on top of the bowl...full of prawn umami goodness!  Can you imagine what that tastes like?  Is this a broth to die for?  Omg, it sure was! ^o^

Taking a first sip, the depth of the broth immediately reminded me of the excellent one I had in Moon De Moon, Ipoh.  And here I thought the outstanding one that was full of prawn aroma I had in Ipoh could not be rivalled by any in KL.  I was wrong.

The bowl of noodles was filled with the usual ingredients of prawns that 
were sweet tasting (although slightly smallish and halved lengthwise), shredded chicken, crunchy beansprouts and fragrant chives, topped with freshly fried shallots (not from a packet) and that all important sprinkling of spring onions.

If there was one thing that this closely similar bowl of kai see hor fun differs from the one in Ipoh, it would have to be the texture of the hor fun (kway teow) which was not as slippery smooth and translucent as the ones from Ipoh...but (fortunately) that's not a key factor for me.

Even as you drink away the soup, the evidence of the richness of the broth is there.  You can still see the thickness and intensity of the broth when you near the bottom of your bowl.  It's that good!

And when it's that good, you don't waste a single drop...you slu..r...r....p..p...p till the very last drop! ;) Even my husband who doesn't like to drink soup was seen slurping most of it up.

It was so good that we were practically there every week for the next few weeks.  Sorry for dedicating half of this post to this kai see hor fun alone but it was just too awesome not to share the many photos of this noodle to get my point across...haha! ;D

Now that the most important dish is out of the way, let's shift our focus to the other things that are equally good here.  You can pair your meal with a side order of braised stuff.  In our first visit, we had a mixed plate (cham cham) of Braised Chicken Feet, Pork Intestines, Tofu & Egg @ RM10.50 (I caught the guy fishing out a thick slab of wobbly stewed pork belly from his braised goodies pot just in the nick of time and asked for it not to be included).

The braised chicken feet were gelatinous as they should be, sticky and saucy...and absolutely tender (by most standards) but I like mine crazily tender until they almost disintegrate and become unrecognisable (though that isn't very presentable).  Those of you who love chicken feet will definitely want this.

The second time we were there, we got ourselves the Braised Pork Belly, Egg & Tofu @ RM13.50.  Just look at that intense colour on the tofu and eggs...that's the colour of deliciousness of a well-balanced, good braising sauce.  The braised tofu took on an even darker colour this time.  Stewed eggs are usually a bit firmer in texture (especially the whites) because of them being steeped for long hours in the braising liquid but loved how intense the colour was on the the eggs and tofu.

You must be wondering why there's wobbly braised pork belly on the plate.  It was because the pork intestines weren't ready yet, so I decided to get that for someone who's a lover of fatty meat...my husband. When he took a piece, he told me that I've got to try this...and so I did.  It was falling-to-pieces and melt-in-the-mouth tender.  It was really good...and that's coming from someone who don't like to eat fatty meat! :O Pork belly fans....you must get this pronto.

On yet another visit, we went for the braised pig intestines (for her) & pork belly (for him) @ RM18 (and judging from the price, it's obvious these two items are the most expensive of the lot).  The well cleaned pork intestines were superbly tender and soft (you don't have to worry about any untoward smell coz there's none)...and the best braised item for me here.  The pork belly weren't as melt-in-the-mouth tender as the previous time (quite obvious from the colour that it wasn't braised long enough) but still sufficiently soft nevertheless.

Besides the outstanding braised goodies, their poached chicken is another fantastic side dish to complement your kai see hor fun.  The first time I had this was when I tapau-ed a packet of Poached Chicken Rice @ RM7.50.  I thought the chicken was good but felt I've eaten better ones before.  I think that's probably because this wasn't choi yin kai or kampung chicken judging from the price charged and the taste of the meat (but this was still well-made, good quality chicken).

The next few visits I had the Poached Chicken @ RM7 onsite and they were more memorable.  This time the chicken had an even smoother texture (I'm not sure if it was because the packed version had the chicken steaming in hot rice with the box closed), further enhanced in flavour by the drizzle of garlic bits and garlic oil.  If they can get normal chicken to taste that good, there is no cause for complaint.

The other key area of difference was the chicken came sitting on top of plenty of soya sauce.  Though there were reviews that the sauce was too salty (perhaps it was) but the soy was delicious and I can 
see why it was there in abundance...it was meant to complement the white rice which was bland on its own.  When I had the packed rice, the light drizzle of sauce wasn't quite enough.

On our third visit, I finally managed to try the Char Siew Rice @ RM9.50 (remember to ask for pun fei sau or a half fat, half lean cut).  That's because the char siew only comes out of their kitchen around 11am (coz I like to get there earlier for breakfast and tapau for lunch + it's much easier to get a seat if you're early).

The char siew again was just as good as everything else we had.  It was marvellously soft and tender with a lovely smokiness to it that's not often associated with the usual caramelised, sweet char siew you get from roasted meat stalls elsewhere.  The tenderness of the char siew was almost like fall-apart smoked brisket. Again, just fabulous.

If you tapau, don't be greedy and ask for char siew rice ka fan (aka add rice coz it was for my son) @ RM10.50 as there's just not enough meat....and sauce to go round...hah..hah! >_<

On all our visits, we were given white rice.  Perhaps we were too early? @_@  Not a big problem though since they go great with the braised stuff.

Finally got to try their chicken rice (as in chicken-flavoured rice and not white rice) in one of our visits there.  Indeed the rice was rightly coloured (not those that look artificially yellow-coloured) and nicely flavoured with the chicken stock used to cook the rice.

I noticed a picture of their handmade fish balls (no noodles) at their stall, so I ordered some of their Handmade Fish Balls @ RM5 to try.  I'm guessing it costs RM5 since I asked for five pieces (it's up to you to order the number you want).  The fish balls were alright, a bit too bouncy for me and my least favourite thing here.  It came in an equally delicious soup base that's different from the kai see hor fun...this one had that distinct salty taste of tung choy (preserved vegetable) which my husband likes.

The chilli dip was top-notch too, more spicy than tangy, spicier than the ones you'd normally get at chicken rice stalls.  I think it's that way probably because it has to complement the braised stuff which would need a spicier punch.  You can safely skip the white coffee and stick to Chinese tea here.

A meal here can easily cost RM20 - RM30 per person, certainly not all that cheap by many standards seeing that it's something of a roadside hawker stall.  Note that some of the prices stated here may be slightly off by RM0.50 - RM1 since the prices were based on total meals charged.  Some of the individual prices are accurate (as I asked) but the lady boss didn't seem too thrilled when I asked for the individual prices.  She's not what I would call super friendly either (and that includes the foreign worker guy who does all the 'chopping' though the elderly lady was much friendlier, probably the former matriarch).  I read from a blog that the owner is from Ipoh (probably so seeing how good their kai see hor fun is but I can't confirm since I don't dare ask the doesn't-seem-approachable lady boss). ;P

My Personal Opinion

Though the broth of this kai see hor fun is not as thick and sweet as the one in Moon De Moon (in Ipoh) but it's the closest in terms of taste (not to mention distance...haha!) and the best I've had in KL so far. ^.^

This is a roadside stall, so eating in total comfort/cleanliness isn't something you should dwell upon here...but this is a gem you have to seek out.  The absolute must-haves here is the kai see hor fun, first and foremost, of course...followed by....erm, just about everything else (with the exception of the fish balls).  My absolute favourite is a bowl of kai see hor fun accompanied by a plate of poached chicken and some tenderly soft intestines.

My only regret was that I've been wanting to come here for over a year now but just kept putting it off.  I shouldn't have.  Who knew I could find a kai see hor fun that's just as good as the one in Ipoh (the broth in the Ipoh one is just a tad more robust).

Now I know why some say you don't even have to travel to Ipoh anymore for a good kai see hor fun while others have said they're even better than some of the ones in Ipoh.  Well, I concur...and you can bet that there will be many, many, many more visits to come after this! ^o^

Restoran Guang Ji Ho Fun & Chicken Rice
Jalan San Peng
Pudu
55200 Kuala Lumpur

12 comments:

  1. oOo my kinda makan place, hopefully will check it out one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you do. You've certainly eaten more kai see hor fun than me (including the ones in Ipoh), so I'm actually eager to see what you think of it since you're an experienced authority on hawker/street food.

      Delete
  2. Well, well, everything was good (except for the fish balls which you don't fancy, I am not a fish ball fan either) and judging from the many visits, this is a place worth coming to. I love those braised stuff, all the components and I am especially enticed by your description of the jiggly pork belly heh..heh.. The kai see hor fun broth has that concentrated robust look and I bet I would enjoy it a lot too. Pudu is a place I have not ventured out to in a very, very long time. My memory of it is that it is a very congested place with lots and lots of traffic. Let me suggest to my brother if he is keen (I am!) to go on a food adventure of sorts in Pudu. I bet he hasn't been there in ages too. We'll see! Perhaps the prospect of eating fatty pork belly and well caramelized char siew will motivate him hah..hah...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I do hope the melt-in-the-mouth jiggly pork belly and smoky char siew will be enough a motivation for him to take you there! *fingers crossed* I can you both ordering a bit of everything here (except the fish balls lah which I'm actually a big fan of but the ones here just didn't tickle my fancy) with the ability to devour all of them...hah..hah! ^_~

      Delete
  3. Wow, I feel like you're hitting jackpot for 4 times as the Gai Si Hor Fun, braised stuffs, Char Siew and even the poached chicken suit your taste bud so perfectly!
    I like tender-till-fall-apart chicken feet too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that you've put it that way...it looks like I did indeed 'hit the (food) jackpot' here...lol! I should have visited sooner.

      Delete
  4. I must give you a gold medal again for all your meticulous details that could salivate my mouth and kept me drooling. I am game to try to hunt for this place to try the kai see hor fun. I am easily pleased and could even settle for a bowl of kai see hor fun at Papparich! Haha! So I will find time to navigate around Pudu area as my wife is very familiar with all the corners and backlanes of Pudu. Oh yeah, we used to feed homeless beggars at midnight on the streets there.

    The braised stuffs with chicken feet could lure my wife there too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome back, TM...I've missed your inspiring comments (aka compliments lah)...wuahahahaha! :D Oh, thank you very much for giving me a gold medal for my post (though I wish it was physical gold seeing how gold prices have skyrocketed during the pandemic...kekeke). If my words have caused you to salivate and drool, then I've done my job...lol!

      Hope you and your wife, who can navigate all the backlanes of Pudu, will find the food to your satisfaction when you visit one day.

      Delete
  5. ooo, so much deliciousness packed into one post. your description is enough to sway even a non-lover of kai see hor fun like me - and i do like everything else i see too. this is one of those rare cases where if i visited, i'd actually order exactly everything you showcased here - and i do hope they have chicken-flavoured rice to pair with their poultry! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they have chicken-flavoured rice too...so, to be safe, get there later (after 11am). Well, it swayed my husband too, who is a non-lover of the soup version of kai see hor fun. And yes, that's the way to go here...order everything! ^_~

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...