Pages

Friday 26 March 2021

Just One Food - Burger King's Salmon Burger

I didn't get to try Burger King's Hokkaido Salmon Mentaiko Burger the first time round when they were launched in 2019.  So, when they made a return in February this year, I made sure I didn't miss out this time since I do enjoy eating fish burgers.

Even though I have a Burger King branch in my neighbourhood, I decided to order via foodpanda but opted for self pick-up.  That way I don't have to wait for my order on-site + not only is the delivery fee waived, there's usually a discount attached (at least 25%) for self pick-up.  On top of that, I don't have to pay parking (yes, Burger King, unfortunately, is located in an area where parking attendants will descend on you like flies the moment you step out of your car.  You have to pay the minimum one hour parking (RM1) even if you tapau food from eateries there....so annoying, right?  With self pick-up, they'll alert you when your order is ready for pick-up...which usually ends up faster than I can reach there...lol.  So, I'd zip in and out of there in under a minute and if I'm forced still required to pay parking, I'd surely make known my annoyance to Burger King's staff.  Luckily, nothing like that happened.

Anyway, let's get back to our burger, shall we?  My Salmon Mentaiko Burger (a la carte, RM15) cost me only RM12.54 in total (with a medium fried onion rings included, RM5.90) at a 40% discount (RM8.36).  Not bad, eh, for self pick up.

Well, if you want to look at visually attractive burgers, you better look here....at the photoshoots where the burgers are painstakingly presented at its best with not a smudge on the box or a drop of sauce in sight...haha! :D  Otherwise, they'll probably look more like the mess above! >_<  

One problem with ordering online is that they tend to forget my special instruction of 'no cheese'...haiz! :(  I did my best in trying to peel/scrape off the cheese.  This fish burger features a salmon patty (supposedly imported from Hokkaido) with American cheese, crunchy sliced onions, juicy tomatoes, fresh lettuce and savoury mentaiko sauce, of course.  If you're thinking it tastes like mentaiko (similar to those in Japanese restaurants), you'll be sorely disappointed.  This one tasted like a lightly spiced version of Thousand Island sauce...that's about it....and also there wasn't enough of it rendering the patty on the drier side.

As for the salmon fillet, it was neither drool-worthy nor tender (as advertised)! >.<  The texture of the salmon patty tasted more like fish paste, lightly chewy, certainly not flaky...it's something with a frozen feel than freshly-made.  I'd rather eat McD's Fish Burger (or their Fish & Fries) anytime to this.

When it comes to Burger King's burgers, I'd much rather stick to my usual order here, the Whopper, which is my favourite fast food beef burger for now...that's near me.

This Whopper (Medium Set) of a flame-grilled beef patty with onions, tomatoes, lettuce & pickles, finished with mayo & ketchup, on a well toasted sesame bun cost RM13.58 (RM20.90 with a 35% discount of RM7.32) that comes with fries and a drink option of iced teh tarik (extra charge).

I really like the beef patty for the taste (and smell) of its smoky, charred flavour....and, surprisingly, the ketchup too.  I don't usually like ketchup but this one tastes more like some kind of barbecue sauce (or maybe that's a result of it combining with the grilled patty...hehe! ;)

And the best thing is that this burger comes with an option without cheese...yay! ^.^  So, no need for special instructions to omit the cheese which may fall on deaf ears or be overlooked.

So, that's it.....no more salmon burger for me...although I've taken a liking to self pick-up now...more so for the no waiting but also for the discount (not sure if prices are better when you order on-site with promos though)! ^_~

8 comments:

  1. I also like self-pick up options now. When the restaurant is not busy, the order is ready way before the estimated time. So the salmon burger was not good, eh? I seldom order fish burger though I used to enjoy McD's fillet o fish. The last time I ordered a burger from Burger King, I was not happy with it. Can't remember which one I ordered and it was so plain and ordinary. Maybe I did not order the right one. Next time, I'll get the Whopper hee..hee...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, give the Whopper a try and see if you like it. Actually, I've never liked any fast food beef burgers until this one came along with its slight smoky flavour and I always appreciate that the bun is well toasted (you can see just how browned it is on the underside). ^_~

      Delete
  2. Not a fan of burgers from any fast food chains, and I don't remember I like anything from Burger King too, as I really seldom have it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a fast food burger fan either but will have it every now and then when I want something fast and convenient :)

      Delete
  3. Haha I thought the salmon was "OK" but like you I preferred the beef option too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I see you prefer the beef option too. ^_~

      Delete
  4. I am sure we both have similar tastes. I love to eat the Burger King's Whopper because of the charred smells too. I also like Carls' Jr for same reasons which McDonald's do not have.

    Cheese is a must for me. The more the merrier!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, you like the Whopper for the same reason that I do. Now that you mention that Carl's Junior's burgers have that charred smell too, I'm interested but I don't think I have any (very) near me.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...