Pages

Tuesday 29 October 2019

HK Porky Noodle House @ Pandan Indah

Some weeks back, I noticed a new pork noodle place opened up in my housing area, HK Porky Noodle House @ Pandan Indah, which has now been in operation for slightly less than two months.

Obviously, I knew it'd be a pork noodles shop from the name of the place itself + I've actually seen their other branch in SS2 (though I've not tried) and so was hopeful when they decided to open a branch here.

Since their speciality is obviously pork noodles, that's what we should start with.  I ordered the Pork Mixian Noodle Soup @ RM9.50...a fully loaded bowl, I must say.  Looks they don't stinge on ingredients here.

You have an option to choose the porky ingredients that 'suit' you.  The selection includes minced pork + slice pork, minced pork + slice pork + meat ball, minced pork + slice pork + slice pork belly, one with everything (minced pork + slice pork + pork intestine + pork liver + pork stomach) or one with a seafood option of minced pork + slice pork + prawn + squid.

I ordered mine with everything, of course! ;)  You get the usual ingredients of minced pork, sliced pork, pork liver and pork intestines just like any other bowl of pork noodles.

But the one exception was the inclusion of chee tow or pig stomach which you don't find in most pork noodles.  And some of the the intestines were at least twice the length of what you'd get elsewhere! ^.^

The pork liver were cut thickly too unlike the usual thin ones you'd get elsewhere.  Not only that, the liver slices were not overcooked, still slightly bloody when they arrived.

The mixian noodles (some might call it mee sua but it's nothing like mee sua though) are actually very similar to the mixian noodles you get at Go Noodles House.  The best noodle choice with the soup version (in my opinion) as the noodles don't absorb the soup and retains its texture throughout the meal.

At first impression, I noticed that the soup was a murky rendition, not the more common clear soup in other pork noodles.  It was rather savoury and very robust in flavour, the result of probably painstaking hours and hours of boiling the stock (similar to a good ramen bone broth).

For those who don't like the soup version, there's always the dry option as seen here with a mix of mihun + yellow mee.  I especially liked the mihun as it's much thinner than those I get elsewhere.

Make it even better with an order of extra pork lard for RM1.  Unfortunately, the tiny plate of pork lard came with the lard oil as well, so you have to pick out the lard crisps one by one (like I did) if you don't wish to consume the oil (not sure why the oil was not drained off first).

The dry version was tasty too...possibly made better by more of the really fresh and very crispy chee yau char (pork lard)....the all important ingredient!

For my spouse, he likes fatty meat, so he likes to have his dry pork noodles with the minced pork + slice pork + slice pork belly option @ RM12.50.  The pork belly is sliced really thin and they cook it by pouring hot broth over the meat (that's what they advertise in their Facebook).

The only difference (for me) in having the noodles dry was that the accompanying soup with the porky ingredients felt more concentrated and was even more robust in flavour (maybe because the ingredients were cooked with less soup since it's a much smaller bowl).  I could only manage to drink a few spoonfuls of the soup as it was too flavourful for my taste buds.  And for this reason, I definitely preferred the soup version as it was a bigger bowl of soup and not so strong + the noodles also helped to reduce some of the saltiness.

On one visit, I was curious to try the seafood version of Pork Mixian Noodle Soup @ RM20 with minced pork + slice pork + prawn + squid.  Not cheap but at least the ingredients were plentiful.

It came with two rather huge, fresh, juicy prawns....

.....and quite a few (at least 4 - 5) slices of tender squid.

The soup base of this one had a slightly orange hue to it...maybe from a drizzle of prawn oil?  I also noticed some tiny specks of chillies.  This broth was surprisingly lighter with a hint of sweetness to it (probably from the addition of seafood).  This tasty broth turned out to be my favourite maybe because it didn't feel as savoury.

New on the menu is the Pork Belly Spicy Mixian Noodle Soup (RM14) for those who prefer something spicy. Don't know how spicy this is as it isn't something I'd try since it comes with pork belly which I don't really fancy.

For those on a keto diet, low-carb ketogenic meals are on offer at higher prices (of course) which are all liew and no noodles if you fancy such a selection.  Know also that you have the option to add any extra porky ingredient you like.  My choice would be either intestines, liver or stomach...but, alas, I can't afford to do that as the standard bowl is already too filling for me.

There's Hakka Mee (an option of plain, with chilli or fish skin) on the menu for those who feel like eating something else other than pork noodles.

Rounding up the menu are some of the usual snacks on offer from soup wantans to fried dumpling, dumpling soup to meat ball soup and some less conventional types of fried squid and fried fish skin but they can be quite pricey, some even pricier than a bowl of noodles, with prices ranging from RM7 - RM13.50.

I have to say their Iced White Coffee @ RM5 was really good, and a tall glass at that.  Can be shared by two...just like their noodles (if you happen to be a smallish eater).

My Personal Opinion

I'm glad they opened an outlet here as I now have a good option for pork noodles near me coz the pork noodle stalls in my neighbourhood are not nearly as good.

Although the soup base may be a little too robustly flavoured for me, this is still a viable option for pork noodles.  The option with seafood offers a slightly lighter stock base but I may be too lazy to tackle the prawns with shells and all.  So I will stick to soup noodles and enjoy the mixian with all the delicious porky liew but will just drink less of the soup. ^_~

HK Porky Noodle House
3A-G Jalan Perubatan 4
Pandan Indah
55100 Kuala Lumpur

12 comments:

  1. the thunder is rolling, and it looks like this would be a another good evening for comforting pork noodles - but toss a soft egg into my bowl please! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, why not. The beginning of your sentence sounds like a song by Garth Brooks...and the thunder rolls! ;)

      Delete
  2. I definitely enjoy a good bowl of pork noodles! Although I love fried pork lard but I never request for additional (with charges), maybe I should do this next time for greater satisfaction :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, do try it. It's rather surprising how I like pork lard in soup more than when they're in dry noodles! :O

      Delete
  3. Wah! The loaded pork noodles look very good. Since there is one at SS2, I want my brother to take me there. We both love pork noodles with all the works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who doesn't. I think this broth base will suit you....extra flavourful! ^_*

      Delete
  4. RM 20 is indeed not cheap but if they're tastehhhh why not? also, more chu yau cha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, please. RM20 is okay-lah when there's seafood included. ^_~

      Delete
  5. This bowl of pork noodles with its broths & floating ingredients like pork liver is waking me up on a sleepy Friday afternoon! I love that for sure.

    Honestly I gave up ordering iced white coffee as I never had good ones. So your mention that it was really good, surprised me. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo, you have indeed been very unlucky. I've had really good iced white coffees at many places that I ate in. Maybe I should do a summary post on where you can get good iced white coffees just for you...heheh! ;)

      Delete
  6. Funny how we all have our preferences. I would definitely be saying no thank you to extra pork lard ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...