Pages

Wednesday 25 September 2019

Ficelle Boulangerie & Patisserie (Baked Goods) @ Pandan Indah

I can still remember how popular Levain Boulangerie & Pattisserie first outlet in Imbi was when they first opened (I think it was about 10 years ago)...and they're still around to this day.  This French-style bakery and cafe was the cafe to visit then before they opened a string of other bakeries and cafes that includes Fougasse, Ficelli and Shakespeare.  Shakespeare has since closed and Fougasse has been renamed Ficelli.

I was fortunate enough to have a branch open in my neighbourhood back then (in 2012), Fougasse Boulangerie & Pattisserie, which I had blogged about in 2014 and 2015.  The place is now known as Ficelle Boulangerie & Pattisserie @ Pandan Indah.

Although I've stopped patronising the place for hot food here for a few years already (I suppose breakfast dishes are still ok if you don't have too high an expectation), it's still the bakery I go to for baked goods and sandwiches.  There are still no other bakeries here except for one or two smaller ones and if there were, they don't seem to last very long (and that's probably the reason for the longevity of this bakery).

My absolute favourite is the Tuna Corn Bun @ RM3 that's filled with decent tasting tuna flakes and corn.  Just having one of this (nah, two would be better) with a cup of coffee makes an ideal breakfast for me.

I like the burst of juices of the corn in my mouth when I bite into the soft and adequately tuna-filled bun.  I have this for breakfast quite often, sometimes for supper too when I'm naughty (I'd purposely buy an extra one and keep it for later). ^o^

Their Croissant @ RM2.90 is probably one of their most popular item here, flaky and crisp (it used to be even flakier before), airy and slightly buttery at the same time (some would prefer it to be more buttery, I suppose).  Better than some from well known bakeries even.

The Turkey Ham Croissant @ RM3.80 is just like their ultra crisp and flaky plain croissant, only this one has ham inside.

Another favourite is the Turkey Ham & Eggs Bun @ RM3.90 and this one is quite filling, so one is enough for a light breakfast or as something for coffee break (or tea time for non-coffee lovers). ^_*

The soft bun comes topped with mashed hard-boiled eggs (now why wouldn't that be a favourite of mine) with mayo and some small turkey slices inside.

The Mini Pumpkin Bread @ RM3, decorated with a few pumpkin seeds, is a soft roll filled with not too sweet pumpkin paste.

The Mashed Potato & Ham Bun @ RM3.40 is a soft bun with a slight crisp exterior encased with a generous amount of really soft mashed potatoes with pieces of ham in between.  If you like to eat mashed potatoes, you'll enjoy this bun.

The Mexican Bun @ RM3.50 is a coffee-flavoured bun studded with chocolate chips.  It didn't have enough of coffee flavour for me...and they don't taste anything like the coffee buns from Rotiboy (even though they too aren't as good as they used to be).

I buy the Octopus Bun @ RM2.90 just for the cuteness factor.  Taste wise, it's just a simple bun with a processed sausage inside that's cut to resemble octopus tentacles.

The Honey French Toast @ RM3.80 is a sizeable round loaf of bread with honey, not too sweet but also not too good quality honey. >_<

I also buy the Raisin Roll (3 pcs) @ RM4.30 and Butter Roll (3 pcs) @ RM2.90 quite frequently as they're aren't sweet and can be kept (for a few days)...but they may be too airy and not buttery enough for some.  I would eat them with an extra spread of butter (or jam) though for more flavour.

Besides, their sandwiches (chicken ham & egg or tuna & ham) is a breakfast staple for me.  Good on the go and great with a cup of hot coffee.

My Personal Opinion

I like simple buns like these, not elaborate ones with too much cream or sugar, so it's a super convenient place for me to get my hands on some baked goods and sandwiches for a light breakfast as there's no other bakery option here really.

Their baked goods and pastries are average at best.  If I have at my disposal some better bakeries here, this probably wouldn't be my pick.....but beggars can't be choosers....this will have to do for now until a nicer one comes along in my neighbourhood (and that's probably the main reason why they've lasted so long). ^_~

Ficelle Boulangerie & Patisserie
No 25G Jalan Pandan Indah 4/6A
Pandan Indah
55100 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: 03-4280 0618

10 comments:

  1. I've stopped buying buns with sausage since I watched video of sausage bun with maggots inside >_<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aiyo, not all sausage buns got maggots-lah! :D

      Delete
  2. A few bakeries in my area have closed down too over the years and the only one standing is TK Bakery. Then recently a new one, RT Pastry opened. Like you, I used to buy and enjoy all sorts of buns until I started on low carb diet. Now that I am off my diet, somehow I did not restart the habit of buying buns and pastries. That is good right? hah..hah... Well, even though Ficelle Boulangerie & Patisserie's fare is just average, at least that's where you can get your pastry fix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you were dieting, you'd rather give up carbs than sugar. That's still your preference now (with Ilao Ilao and other dessert postings, I see)...hehehe! ;D

      Delete
  3. ooo, this brings back memories - my first visit to ficelle was when they opened in taman desa way back in 2011, which feels like half a lifetime ago :) that octopus bun sure looks cute - if i were 35 years younger, i'd want that! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, what happened to the person one who always champion "we're still young at heart" motto! ;) Your comments made me decide to read your post back in 2011 and the first thing that jumped at me was the turkey ham & egg bun (hmmm, still a saleable item after 8 long years). And I couldn't help but notice your other comment on being not too confident of their hot meals (looks like hot meals have not improved for the last 8 years!).

      Delete
  4. Hello ive read many of your articles and saw your honest reviews. Do you have any desserts to recommend in sri petaling? =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting my blog. I'm sorry but Sri Petaling isn't an area I eat at but I've heard good things about Foret Blanc and Dessert Bar by Stanley Choong...maybe you can give those two a try although I've not eaten there personally myself.

      Delete
  5. I remember this Ficelle very well when they opened the first outlet in Taman Desa. I was living nearby and had tea often with friends. I knew their baking was excellent and unique as many Japanese residents bought bread daily from them. I miss those good days as they placed the pretty tables and chairs under the tall shady trees that resembled the French Cafes at side walks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've seen pics of this branch...and I think that is their prettiest-looking branch. They seem to have longevity when so many cafes/bakeries have come and gone.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...